Sponsored

I'm guessing this wheel is done for

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Town cut up a section of pavement and didn't put any cones or anything around it, I hit the sharp edge going about 35 in the dark/rain. Made a nice dent in the wheel, no air leaked though.

I'm figuring I have to buy a new wheel at this point, I talked to the town DPW and they said there was nothing they could/would do. Anyone ever have success getting something like this taken care of by the city/town? I went back at the first light in the morning but they were already working on it and had it all blocked off so I couldn't get pictures of how it looked with no cones or signs.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
take it to a wheel repair place, doesnt look too bad

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Seems fixable. The lip is bent not the wheel

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Looks like its still holding air which is good, that can be fixed.

Sponsored

WSUBUM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EB Premium Guard
Talk to your insurance? Sounds like the City wants to scare you into thinking it's all on you. At least out here any damage from city streets can be charged back to them.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
The city may have told you there is nothing you can do with them. Which is likely because they hire contractors for road work and the city has a hold harmless agreement with their contractor. The contractor should have insurance that covers damage caused by their work.

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
The city may have told you there is nothing you can do with them. Which is likely because they hire contractors for road work and the city has a hold harmless agreement with their contractor. The contractor should have insurance that covers damage caused by their work.
Thanks I'll check this out. I mean, the guy told me straight to my face when I went back there that they knew it was like that but couldn't put a patch down because of the rain, but he couldn't explain why no cones were put up around it.

The grand total for a wheel and moving the tire would be ~$200-225, do you think fixing it would be cheaper if it can be fixed?

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
Thanks I'll check this out. I mean, the guy told me straight to my face when I went back there that they knew it was like that but couldn't put a patch down because of the rain, but he couldn't explain why no cones were put up around it.

The grand total for a wheel and moving the tire would be ~$200-225, do you think fixing it would be cheaper if it can be fixed?
Fixing the wheel could be cheaper you would need to check with a local reputable shop that can possibly fix the damage, they should be able to do it if they can for $100-$150 possibly . I am overstating the cost because I do not know what your local market value is for this work.

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Paul, if the wheel lip is slightly bent but the tire holds air perfectly with no leaks and there is absolutely no wiggle or vibration at all speeds, does that mean the wheel can be used without the need for repair? I.e. the damage is only cosmetic?

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
Paul, if the wheel lip is slightly bent but the tire holds air perfectly with no leaks and there is absolutely no wiggle or vibration at all speeds, does that mean the wheel can be used without the need for repair? I.e. the damage is only cosmetic?
You can yes if there is no issues with it then its just aesthetic

949Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Orange GT350
When to repair your wheels and when not to

For street use, it can be repaired. For track or autocross, absolutely not. If that's an OEM or aftermarket wheel it's low pressure cast 356, T-4 solution or T-6 heat treat. That material has been deformed past yield so it's effectively work hardened. Shoving it back in to shape will further weaken it. Heavy OEM wheels have enough spare strength/material to withstand this and still be an acceptable street wheel even though the ultimate impact, cornering and radial fatigue strength have been compromised

For track use though, it would be operating too close to the new, lower limits of the wheel structure. Most high performance aftermarket wheels however, are designed right on the limit of VIA standards. This means they are already just about as light as they can get. These wheels can not afford to be bent back and forth from crash damage and straightening.

Track wheels are a consumable. This is a fact of life that most drivers new to HPDE are dismayed to learn. A regular part of pro team life is checking their light weight race wheels for bends and removing them from service.

OP
OP
ForYourOwnGood

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Good info, when the tire was taken off the wheel was worse than it looked on the outside, the barrel was cracked all the way across. I had already bought a new wheel so we tossed the old one. They were cheap wheels anyway which is probably why the damage was so extensive (I'm almost positive the stock wheels would have had no issue with this).

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Good info, when the tire was taken off the wheel was worse than it looked on the outside, the barrel was cracked all the way across. I had already bought a new wheel so we tossed the old one. They were cheap wheels anyway which is probably why the damage was so extensive (I'm almost positive the stock wheels would have had no issue with this).

With that bent wheel and crack in the barrel, did you experience loss of air pressure and steering wheel vibration?

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
Hey man! Glad you got the wheels replaced. Just wanted to share my experience. I've had wheels bent from the inside, as well as the outer lip on different/multiple occasions(not the same wheels, one front and one rear). I found that even though the wheels are easily repairable, if they are damaged from the outer lip, the car doesn't ride the same even after proper balancing. Granted, there's minor difference, but you do feel it at times. On the inside, though, I've never felt any difference.

Drive safe!:thumbsup:
Sponsored