Sponsored

Are the door lock indicators supposed to stay lit after locking?

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Ran into something weird the last few days. I walk up to my car, and see that the led is not red, does that mean my car unlocked itself? I am 100% meticulous about making sure the car is locked when I walk away, and am afraid it might be unlocking itself.

I did also manage to set off the alarm once by pulling the handle and it was also unlocked. Can the car unlock itself? Is there a way to reset everything or am I just out of my mind?

I only unplugged the battery once a few days ago to install my intake, roughly 45 minutes or so, but it happened before that as well so I don't think that caused it. I'm about to test it by leaving my keys in my room and then going out to the car in 30 minutes to see if happens again and if it's locked.

Can't seem to find anything in the owner's manual regarding what may cause this.

EDIT: Okay so I'm an idiot...I went to try opening it without the key and it appears it's locked even though the LED on the door has turned off. That answers that. Now hopefully the alarm stays on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Abb0nz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Not sure how long but the LEDs stay on for a short period of time after you lock it, then they turn off. It's mentioned in the manual.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's not unlocking. The car goes into power saving mode after certain amount of time so everything turns off.
You can test it by not having the fob in the pocket and go pull the handle.
The only time the alarm would sound would be if you lock the car and then pull the inside handle.

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how long but the LEDs stay on for a short period of time after you lock it, then they turn off. It's mentioned in the manual.
It's not unlocking. The car goes into power saving mode after certain amount of time so everything turns off.
You can test it by not having the fob in the pocket and go pull the handle.
The only time the alarm would sound would be if you lock the car and then pull the inside handle.
Yeah I tested it out, I don't know how I never realized this after 3 months of having the car lol. I thought something happened. Thanks guys.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I'm not really in favor of laws, but if any politicians on here want to get a not-so-frivolous federal law in the works it should be to make it illegal to sell somebody a car for which they have not read and comprehended the owner's manual cover-to-cover.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I'm not really in favor of laws, but if any politicians on here want to get a not-so-frivolous federal law in the works it should be to make it illegal to sell somebody a car for which they have not read and comprehended the owner's manual cover-to-cover.
A car manual test
Answer 10 questions before you are allowed to drive your car :eyebulge:
:D:headbonk:

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car manual test
Answer 10 questions before you are allowed to drive your car :eyebulge:
:D:headbonk:
before you are allowed to buy it, even.

I imagine it would also inadvertently take care of the "auto loan bubble".
Man I'm down, but that part in my manual went right over my head, I found it last night AFTER I tested it out lol. I did read it I promise, but I probably skimmed over it.

To my defense my salesman, probably got the impression I already know the car and didn't really try to pitch anything to me...like at all. We just went right into the numbers lol. I knew how to drive it, I knew some of the features as I've driven my friends EB before so probably my fault that NONE of that was covered during sale time.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Man I'm down, but that part in my manual went right over my head, I found it last night AFTER I tested it out lol. I did read it I promise, but I probably skimmed over it.

To my defense my salesman, probably got the impression I already know the car and didn't really try to pitch anything to me...like at all. We just went right into the numbers lol. I knew how to drive it, I knew some of the features as I've driven my friends EB before so probably my fault that NONE of that was covered during sale time.
:lol:

When I bought mine I handed the salesman a VIN and a quote I'd gotten for an identical setup from a dealer in the next State. Finished paperwork without ever driving it. Heck, they started asking me questions about Mustang options and features, and made some poor new kid give me the walkthrough... that way I could point out the cool stuff he didn't know about yet... Sunglasses drawer, hold the 'auto' climate button to disable dual control, where the owner's manual hides, windows down with the fob, door unlock mode change with the fob, and even the handles to allow access to the rear instead of messing up the seat position.

In the two days it took to get the car transported and then find the correct PP wheels (the other dealership had traded wheels for a customer... got in BIG trouble. I'm sure there is now an automatic or V6 running around with GTPP wheels on somewhere) I had read the manual cover to cover a few times... I omitted the NAV and sync 2 parts as the vehicle is not so equipped.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
People don't want to read instructions for something they have in their possession. It's not usually a very entertaining activity. Manuals suck. VCR manuals broke most of us on manuals a long time ago.

If a person who's owned and driven cars their entire life can't figure something out, it wasn't designed right in the first place.

Confronted with something unintuitive, a normal person will first try to puzzle it out by themselves for a while. Then maybe ask a friend (see forum). Scouring through a manual is the last resort.

If you just put down 30-40k on a toy you can't even touch, then sure you're going to review the manual. Probably memorize it as a proxy for that toy.

Sponsored

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
+400 page manual and 100 page supplement just for the infotaiment system.. ..I glazed over a few sections. I like my gadgets but there is a point when there's too many things to keep you attention from driving.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
+400 page manual and 100 page supplement just for the infotaiment system.. ..I glazed over a few sections. I like my gadgets but there is a point when there's too many things to keep you attention from driving.
there is a much easier and quicker way
As soon as I knew I was "interested" in the car, I went here

https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...esults.html?year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

You have the manual online, with a search feature
I cut and pasted certain sections into a word doc, and kept it
Simples :D

OP
OP
csmaan12

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there is a much easier and quicker way
As soon as I knew I was "interested" in the car, I went here

https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...esults.html?year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

You have the manual online, with a search feature
I cut and pasted certain sections into a word doc, and kept it
Simples :D
I think I'll be a forever paper manual reader lol. I get some sort of satisfaction from reading the paper manual in the car. DESPITE what happens to go right over my head. I did register on there though, so that may change.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I think I'll be a forever paper manual reader lol. I get some sort of satisfaction from reading the paper manual in the car. DESPITE what happens to go right over my head. I did register on there though, so that may change.
comes in handy when you're out and remember you need a bulb, filter, or fluid... you can just pull the manual .pdf up on your phone.