Sponsored

Arizona living. Radiator or Intercooler Upgrade?

show7ime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang
I can only afford one upgrade at the present time. I live in Arizona. Which one would provide the most benefits for me? First time owning a car with turbo. Either owned V8 or V6...

Also, which brand? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Intercooler for sure.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
If it's one or the other, definitely intercooler. I have the Levels Performance FMIC (Gen. 1). It's one of the best performing intercoolers on the market and is priced extremely competitively. Plus, Nik recently updated the new Gen. 2 models to be a bit larger with really nice cast end tanks. I've been contemplating upgrading to the Gen. 2 myself.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I can only afford one upgrade at the present time. I live in Arizona. Which one would provide the most benefits for me? First time owning a car with turbo. Either owned V8 or V6...

If you can't afford both, I'd recommend doing neither.

I just had three warranty items disapproved because of "mods" done to my car. Bit crazy since the only hardware mods I've had done is muffler and replaced rear speakers. Taking to another dealer next week... hopefully find one that is "mod friendly".

If you can't afford to replace your engine if it goes "boom" then I'd not mod at all.

Sure, I'll get attacked for saying this but I'd not risk it. People will scream this law and that law, etc... okay, got it.

Is it really worth the hassle? For me, yes... I can afford it (I've already accepted the the fact I might have to pay for engine issues due to a tune) and I can take extra time off work to look for another dealer.

I'm still stunned due to my light mods... even if you want to call them "mods".

Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
If you can't afford both, I'd recommend doing neither.

I just had three warranty items disapproved because of "mods" done to my car. Bit crazy since the only hardware mods I've had done is muffler and replaced rear speakers. Taking to another dealer next week... hopefully find one that is "mod friendly".

If you can't afford to replace your engine if it goes "boom" then I'd not mod at all.

Sure, I'll get attacked for saying this but I'd not risk it. People will scream this law and that law, etc... okay, got it.

Is it really worth the hassle? For me, yes... I can afford it (I've already accepted the the fact I might have to pay for engine issues due to a tune) and I can take extra time off work to look for another dealer.

I'm still stunned due to my light mods... even if you want to call them "mods".
No offense, sorry what happened to you, but an intercooler or radiator isn't going to make your engine blow, you just have to find better dealer. My turbo has been replaced with all my mods, no questions asked. Not a penny out of pocket

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost

Also witch EB do you have?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
No offense, sorry what happened to you, but an intercooler or radiator isn't going to make your engine blow, you just have to find better dealer. My turbo has been replaced with all my mods, no questions asked. Not a penny out of pocket
Listen, no one ever said the engine will blow if a radiator is installed... don't be simple. :)

But you never know what a dealer might do or say... to come off like you know what a dealer will do in his area is not very informative. I don't know, and admit it... hell, did I ever think two simple mods would give me grief... crazy. Luckily I have a ton of dealers in my area.

I'm just putting it out there... might not be a good idea to start putting stuff on a car if you can't afford the consequences. You never know (and you definitely don't).

And if the OP can afford (or does not care), my apologies...

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Listen, no one ever said the engine will blow if a radiator is installed... don't be simple. :)

But you never know what a dealer might do or say... to come off like you know what a dealer will do in his area is not very informative. I don't know, and admit it... hell, did I ever think two simple mods would give me grief... crazy. Luckily I have a ton of dealers in my area.

I'm just putting it out there... might not be a good idea to start putting stuff on a car if you can't afford the consequences. You never know (and you definitely don't).
And if the OP can afford (or does not care), my apologies...
Lol wow that escalated, I did say it depends on the dealer, so that's me saying I have no idea how is dealer wil react, "and you need to find the right one" also I wasn't being simple, I don't know your level of experience, so when you said don't install a radiator or fmic or the engine will blow, I was clarifying for the OP. That was all, I think you took it the wrong way, that's why I said no offense, lol I guess you didn't see that part.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Lol wow that escalated, I did say it depends on the dealer, so that's me saying I have no idea how is dealer wil react, "and you need to find the right one" also I wasn't being simple, I don't know your level of experience, so when you said don't install a radiator or fmic or the engine will blow, I was clarifying for the OP. That was all, I think you took it the wrong way, that's why I said no offense, lol I guess you didn't see that part.
I never said putting on those parts would blow and engine.... that is dumb.

What I am saying is if you mod, there is a possibility that you will have to pay for an engine if it goes "boom" (or you have other issues). That is different than saying those parts will boom your engine.

You are reading what you want to read...

At any rate, I've said what I needed... good luck OP. Sorry for the unintentional crap on your thread... I'm outta here.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Warranty talk again? Christ.

To answer the man's question, get an intercooler, no doubt. The Levels is a quality unit, and almost all of them are better than stock.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Ahh a set of Denso 6510 cooler spark plugs may give you a bit of the engine running a tad cooler ..

Shoot dude save up for Both considering you live in Arizona ..

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
I never said putting on those parts would blow and engine.... that is dumb.

What I am saying is if you mod, there is a possibility that you will have to pay for an engine if it goes "boom" (or you have other issues). That is different than saying those parts will boom your engine.

You are reading what you want to read...

At any rate, I've said what I needed... good luck OP. Sorry for the unintentional crap on your thread... I'm outta here.
Can we get a little more background info on what happened exactly?

Johnarmymp552

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EBM, Manual, PP
I live in Southern AZ and it has been hot lately. Around 90-100 degrees. I have upgraded the intercooler, intake, Tune+ plugs, and currently running Tine+ 91 octane tune.

When I went up to phoenix and Tucson the other week temps were from 105-115. I had no issues with motor cooling. My intercooler temps still stayed 15-20 above ambient under boost.

Before my intercooler, temps would be 35-85 degrees above ambient.

So I wouldn't worry about the radiator. Get an intercooler.