Sponsored

Please Educate Me - Why No Spoiler On Performance Pack?

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Count me among those for whom the spoiler delete was a selling point. I prefer the aesthetics of the car without a protrusion there, particularly as a spoiler of that size and shape would add literally nothing meaningful to actual performance.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
In these high end sports. If there was a real advantage to using a wing over a spoiler. Believe me. Someone would have tried it.
They did and they liked it. Wonder why these guys don't use a spoiler? Because their rule set allows them to use a wing.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
They did and they liked it. Wonder why these guys don't use a spoiler? Because their rule set allows them to use a wing.

Great photos. I'd post a bunch of race cars photos with spoilers. But I'm to lazy and the photos prove nothing for your spoiler vs wing arguement .

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Not quite sure I understand this. The PP replaces the "Track" package yet removes the spoiler. Wouldn't the spoiler be beneficial in a track application?
I have been saying this for years and I'll say it again. The term Spoiler 'Delete' is just a pretty way of saying "let's charge them for PP and save a ton of money along the way by not including the spoiler :lol: We can tell these idiots that it saves weight :headbonk:"

Sponsored

Grabber By The Bluesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium
as the owner of a non PP car I wish i had the PP spoilerless trunk. Looks cleaner. Anyone with a grabber blue PP wanna trade? :p

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
as the owner of a non PP car I wish i had the PP spoilerless trunk. Looks cleaner. Anyone with a grabber blue PP wanna trade? :p
That is an option from the factory. The only options on my car are the rear parking sensors, the 3.55 gears, and the spoiler delete.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It saves Ford $$$

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

The main advantage to a wing over a spoiler is the ability to get the wing up in clean air and off the turbulent air flowing over the body. This provides clean, smooth airflow over all surfaces of the wing to help maximize downforce and minimize drag.
Drag, downforce and weight are the 3 sides of the aero triangle when it comes to designing splitters, spoilers, wings and such. Each side is a compromise. Tilt a spoiler up to get more downforce and you create more drag. Move a wing higher into cleaner air you create more weight in bracing.
If you think they're all for show remember a modern F1 car produces enough downforce at speed that it could drive upside down if it could get into that position first without crashing.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
Count me among those for whom the spoiler delete was a selling point. I prefer the aesthetics of the car without a protrusion there, particularly as a spoiler of that size and shape would add literally nothing meaningful to actual performance.
+1...:D. I definitely like the sleek looks of the S550 without a spoiler, as I ordered my PP that way, If I had the chance to order a GT350 and was able to delete the spoiler....I would.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Personally I haven't found a single lip/spoiler on the market that I like. I'm not sure how people can live with the gaps and creases between it and the trunk panel. It drives me crazy and why I still haven't purchased one.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I have been saying this for years and I'll say it again. The term Spoiler 'Delete' is just a pretty way of saying "let's charge them for PP and save a ton of money along the way by not including the spoiler :lol: We can tell these idiots that it saves weight :headbonk:"
Considering what you got for the price of the PP, maybe that's where the savings are passed... because you do get a good bargain with PP.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Part of the allure of the PP is that it's spoiler delete.

But since my car had a little tiny ding on the top rear center of the decklid and grind marks on the top of the kickup on the passenger side rear quarter, a GT350TP spoiler went on. Hides Ford's shitty QC perfectly.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Great photos. I'd post a bunch of race cars photos with spoilers. But I'm to lazy and the photos prove nothing for your spoiler vs wing arguement .
You are missing the point. There is no spoiler vs. wing argument and I never attempted to make one. Someone else made a comparison and you chirped in with your support. Do some research on the subject and find out how each works and why there are used. Basically spoilers reduce lift vs. wings create down force and both do what they do well.

At highway speeds they are for looks only. Even above any real benefit requires hours of testing in a wind tunnel, otherwise they cause drag.

Wings are a different thing entirely.
How different? A small wing and a small spoiler are very similar, with if anything the small spoiler being superior.
I'm pretty sure the statement above. That your replying to was just misinformation. Look at the Corvette Zo6. It uses a spoiler to supply down force. Another example of spoilers being just as good as a wing is Nascar and NHRA funny cars all the way down to door slammers. In these high end sports. If there was a real advantage to using a wing over a spoiler. Believe me. Someone would have tried it.
Your argument was basically that spoilers have to be better than wings, otherwise you would see them on high end (insert sanctioning body that does not allow or use wings) race cars. The pictures show that is not the case at all. NASCAR tried wings and they worked great at sticking the car to the track. They also tended to act as an aircraft wing should the car get sideways at 200mph. Also the fans didn't like the way the cars "looked".

As mentioned in a post above, the highest of high end motorsports, F1, uses wings because the down force they create could allow the car to drive on the ceiling at speed. Let's see a spoiler do that.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
You guys do realize that anyone can get the spoiler delete right. Also that spoiler weighs nothing compared to those heavy ass PP wheels
Sponsored