Sponsored

Please Educate Me - Why No Spoiler On Performance Pack?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not quite sure I understand this. The PP replaces the "Track" package yet removes the spoiler. Wouldn't the spoiler be beneficial in a track application?
Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You'd have to be running some very high speeds for a spoiler to do anything at all...they're all looks on a street car. Assuming that was the aspect to your question.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
At highway speeds they are for looks only. Even above an real benefit requires hours of testing in a wind tunnel, otherwise they cause drag.

Wings are a different thing entirely.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
At highway speeds they are for looks only. Even above an real benefit requires hours of testing in a wind tunnel, otherwise they cause drag.

Wings are a different thing entirely.
How different? A small wing and a small spoiler are very similar, with if anything the small spoiler being superior.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You'd have to be running some very high speeds for a spoiler to do anything at all...they're all looks on a street car. Assuming that was the aspect to your question.
Why does the GT350 get one when the "Performance Pack" that is for the track doesn't? Suppose I don't understand the focus on handling/braking and then omitting something useful for the track.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
How different? A small wing and a small spoiler are very similar, with if anything the small spoiler being superior.
I'm pretty sure the statement above. That your replying to was just misinformation. Look at the Corvette Zo6. It uses a spoiler to supply down force. Another example of spoilers being just as good as a wing is Nascar and NHRA funny cars all the way down to door slammers. In these high end sports. If there was a real advantage to using a wing over a spoiler. Believe me. Someone would have tried it.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
They are giving you a blank template to add what ever spoiler would meet your application.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Who knows why they did it for the S550, however, they obviously realized it was a mistake as they've added a spoiler/wing to the Performance Pack 2 for the 2018 refresh. I wish my 2017 PP had a spoiler.

And the 2015/2016 GT350 electronics package had a small (probably useless) spoiler, while the GT350 track pack had a large useful spoiler.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Aerodynamics are a fickle, funny thing. It could be that a PP car is better balanced at speed without, and that adding a rear wing causes too much understeer.

It could also be that due to some aspect of the shape of the car, unless a rear wing is huge, it does nothing.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I honestly believe it's due to weight primarily. In a "Performance Pack" option, it's meant for optimum performance. Aside from the "Track Pack" Shelby variant, it's a car designed to offer max performance from a GT. I never took the car as a "Track Ready" car off the lot. It simply had the brakes, Torsen, and other parts that made it better equipped than average. The Track Pack Shelby to me is a car that's slung to the masses as the race car of the group. Hence why it gets a spoiler.

Simply put, I think the Performance Pack cars are all about lightweight speed. Add the spoiler you need whether its Drag Racing or Road Course. Its just a blank template of a car.

OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I honestly believe it's due to weight primarily. In a "Performance Pack" option, it's meant for optimum performance. Aside from the "Track Pack" Shelby variant, it's a car designed to offer max performance from a GT. I never took the car as a "Track Ready" car off the lot. It simply had the brakes, Torsen, and other parts that made it better equipped than average. The Track Pack Shelby to me is a car that's slung to the masses as the race car of the group. Hence why it gets a spoiler.

Simply put, I think the Performance Pack cars are all about lightweight speed. Add the spoiler you need whether its Drag Racing or Road Course. Its just a blank template of a car.
Yet the PP weighs more than the Standard and also has suspension bits (which are heavy) that the Standard doesn't.

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT

So are you saying the TP 350 spoiler actually has a benefit on track?
Sponsored