Sponsored

Snapping cracking noise from Passenger seat

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It started last year before I put the car away for winter. When the car is cold and it's colder outside (less than 50*), I would hear this loud snapping cracking noise from the passenger side of the car.

I never noticed it with my wife in the car, only by myself.

Fast forward, it's been doing it more since starting to drive it lately. Still pretty cold outside. Hit some rough roads and it sounds like someone cracking a whip over there.

So one day I start just knocking on different things, mainly thinking it was the door or kick panel area.

I knocked on the side of the seat and snap! WTF

So i start just hitting the seat firmly and can hear the loud snapping sound that sounds like it's coming from the base of the seat.

I then tried rocking the seat side to side and can duplicate it too. I found when i move the seat all the way back, it doesn't do it, but anything beyond max rear, it will make the snapping noise.

My guess it's the seat rails possibly. The bolts appear tight but i can feel the snapping in the rails but I can't find what's actually causing the noise or from which rail?

I can get a video too if that will help. Anyone else have something like this?

Oh, and yes, I can take it to the dealer, but i'd really prefer not to. I could easily see them taking it 'for a drive' to see if they fixed it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Commbubba19

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ugh, still dealing with this issue. I've taken both front/rear seat bolts out and it's not the track to body issue. It seems like the seat track itself is popping.

Either i take it into the dealer (hesitant) or take the seat out and try to figure out what's going on.

Bryan767

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PPP
Been searching all over the forums and it seems like you and I are the only two with this exact issue. I’ve determined it’s the passenger seat driver side rail.. just not sure exactly where on the rail is rubbing.

Did you or the dealer figure it out?

Edit: just solved my popping noise! Every time you press on the seat front the driver side rail kept clicking! I removed all 4 bolts holding the seat down and lifted the front, found a Tylenol pill that was somehow wedged near where the bolt goes in under the plastic cover. All bolts back in and absolutely zero clicking popping noise!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Commbubba19

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Been searching all over the forums and it seems like you and I are the only two with this exact issue. I’ve determined it’s the passenger seat driver side rail.. just not sure exactly where on the rail is rubbing.

Did you or the dealer figure it out?

Edit: just solved my popping noise! Every time you press on the seat front the driver side rail kept clicking! I removed all 4 bolts holding the seat down and lifted the front, found a Tylenol pill that was somehow wedged near where the bolt goes in under the plastic cover. All bolts back in and absolutely zero clicking popping noise!!
Nope. Only happened when it was cold. I took the seat out and could not find anything wrong.
Sponsored