Sponsored

Burning clutch smell on high speed runs

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I was running rabbit for a friend of mine for some high speed runs last weekend then afterwards we stopped for a bite and he commented on the burning clutch smell that was coming from my car.

I figured that was normal if your run a vehicle at top speed. He said, he doesn't think it is normal and suggested I ask about it. He's running an ATM equipped SRT8 and I've got a 6MT GT.

Didn't seem like the kind of question I should ask the dealer.
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
what are mileage and mods? sure it was clutch smell? if you dont stretch the car out regularly it can have odd smells when you do. or could be clutch wearing out and not able to hold peak power

OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
what are mileage and mods? sure it was clutch smell? if you dont stretch the car out regularly it can have odd smells when you do. or could be clutch wearing out and not able to hold peak power
Yeah, it's definitely a clutch smell. Snoop called it a burning smell, but to me it just smelled like a normal smell when you stress the clutch. The car is bone stock with 16k miles. I've got the performance pack with the Torsen rear diff so she hits a wall at 151. I was wondering if maybe that had something to do with it.

We made six passes 70 to 150. NOTE: I don't have any clutch chatter, or shudder in regular driving. Still feels solid, another reason why I didn't think it was a problem.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Interesting. I have a winding road I get my runs in on, but the speed limit is low (15-25) so I rarely get over 80.

The last time I did, I noticed a burning smell but I actually thought it was from the tires. Looking forward to hearing a more educated opinion.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
smell of the rear end?

Sponsored

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Brake pads smell similar to clutches when hot.
That makes sense in my case, I get on the brakes when I'm going through it. :headbang:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i couldnt be sure but it sounds like a result of just running it hard if everything seems fine under normal conditions i wouldnt worry about it

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sounds to me like the clutch is just getting hot at full throttle to top speed runs. It is an organic compound everyday driver clutch, after all. Go ceramic or hybrid next time, or twin plate.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Brake pads smell similar to clutches when hot.
I get the same hot or burning smell in my 15GT/PP and in my "looking for it" I've touched the wheel and the rotors and they're not hot to the touch and Ive histroically been very easy on brakes on all my cars. Was just something I covered in the way of the brakes possibly dragging or another reason for this smell. Like others I've got no problem with the car to speak of. I do a lot of hard downshifts and engine braking, that's all I can assume to account for it.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
At times, when I've been accelerating hard or driving at high speeds I smell the exhaust.

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
Mine has a clutch smell after a few good sprints in it. I'm relatively new to manual but I don't grind/burn the clutch and the car has not even 3500km on it yet so those could play a factor. I've read on here that it's kind of normal. It's either the clutch or the cats.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The clutch probably slips a little on high/top speed runs due to the loss of mechanical advantage of the lower gears helping it out. Are you in 5th, or 6th at top speed?

OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
The clutch probably slips a little on high/top speed runs due to the loss of mechanical advantage of the lower gears helping it out. Are you in 5th, or 6th at top speed?
5th, it's my understanding 6th is an overdrive gear. At least that's how it was on the C6.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
5th, it's my understanding 6th is an overdrive gear. At least that's how it was on the C6.

Correct 6th is overdrive, but even 1:1 of 5th causes a bit of strain on the clutch trying to hold back 435+hp. Same reason top end runs yield blown 4th & 5th gears often. The mechanical advantage of lower gears protects them somewhat from the strain.
Sponsored