Sponsored

ATF in the MT82

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
...so who's made the change? I don't see it being discussed amidst all the complaining about this trans. Before you say it...MANY manual transmissions are spec'd with ATF, not gear oil, spend some time on Google. My 94 Camaro had ATF in the 5Speed.
My 10 Genesis, we had terrible tranny's...way worse than what any MT82 Mustang has, I changed that out to ATF and it was like a new car, better/cleaner/smoother shifts and it ran like a scalded dog...much better performance.

http://mt82transmission.com/mt82-specs/mt82-fluid
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Uh, well... I use BG fluid and have an MGW shifter and, aside from it not being a much stronger Tremec, it's a lot better.

OP
OP

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Uh, well... I use BG fluid and have an MGW shifter and, aside from it not being a much stronger Tremec, it's a lot better.
THis is about ATF in the MT82, not buying some pricey shifter or another gear oil but thanks for your time :frusty:

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I wouldn't recommend...to thin of a lubricant. I know a lot of 4x4s use in transfer cases as well. I ran straight synchromesh Amsoil, which is not recommended, and blew out my MT82. Then doing plenty of research found that a thicker oil nets better results. I think that's why so many people like the BG product because its a thicker product. Ben Calimer is the MT82 building expect. He told me that the Amsoil product (synchromesh) is a good product but not thick enough for the MT82. The mixture he recommends is a 2 part synchromesh plus one part 75-90wt gear lube. So to answer your question I think you would be replacing the trans sooner than expected if go the ATF route.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
used royal purple synchromax, much smoother less notchy