Sponsored

Anyone else noticeauto rev matching with the 6MT?

PostProcessed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Haven't seen anyone else talking about this anywhere... A few days after getting my manual '17 GT I noticed it will auto rev match on up shifts... Pretty cool feature most of the time but since it seems to activate based on clutch disengagement and throttle input alone it makes skipping gears difficult since it doesn't realize you're another gear higher. Either you wait a couple excruciating seconds until it cuts out or you gently slip the clutch to get it to cut out then release the rest of the way once manually matched. With the shorter gears of the PP it's a little tedious to go through all the gears when in town but also tedious to work around the computer.

Anyone else noticed this? Is it a PP feature or a '17 feature or both? Any idea on temporarily defeating it?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The above ^^^.

Grab the steeda clutch spring and enjoy better shifting immediately.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
You can tune the rev hang out and get some proper engine braking. Probably not worth the tune just for that thou...

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If I skip gears upshifting, I just let the clutch out to the engagement point and the rpms then quickly drop the extra they need to. Same as how you would skip shift in a car without rev hang.

As far as rev matching, only car I've driven that does it is the 370z. While it is nice, I still prefer to stab the gas pedal myself.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
<<< Does the 1-3-5 shuffle all day long cruising Suburbia miraculously without rev hang being an issue. :shrug:

+1 on the Steeda clutch spring. It should be THE first mod on a 6MT.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Rev hang is about emissions, this came along years ago with emissions testing where they found that the throttle snapping closed suddelnyl would create a spike...bad stuff(pfftttt) so you get that "hang" in the RPM's as the throttle closes gradually when you let off the gas completely. Still makes it tougher especially on startup and just after when it's more pronounced.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
<<< Does the 1-3-5 shuffle all day long cruising Suburbia miraculously without rev hang being an issue. :shrug:

+1 on the Steeda clutch spring. It should be THE first mod on a 6MT.
+2. It was my first mod, and the one I'm most happy with.

JR

OP
OP

PostProcessed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Rev hang is about emissions, this came along years ago with emissions testing where they found that the throttle snapping closed suddelnyl would create a spike...bad stuff(pfftttt) so you get that "hang" in the RPM's as the throttle closes gradually when you let off the gas completely. Still makes it tougher especially on startup and just after when it's more pronounced.
I had this experience in my old GTI but in the Mustang the RPM immediately drops to the correct speed for the next numerical gear, including the big drop to 6th, then holds there a couple seconds. It's not hanging before the drop.

Regarding the Steeda spring, thanks for the feedback, is the weight that much heavier after? All the German cars I've owned previously had clutch feel pretty much identical to the stock S550 so I've never known anything different.
Sponsored