TR6060 > 10-speed auto > MT82 > 6-speed auto

I'd go with the 10-speed.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Autos have come a long way, but they will never be manuals. Choose wisely.

Joshg120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I think it really depends on how you use the car. I daily my manual in heavy traffic every day, and I realized that the auto would probably suit my usage best, but if you have another car you drive daily then the manual is 100% the way to go

OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
I think it really depends on how you use the car. I daily my manual in heavy traffic every day, and I realized that the auto would probably suit my usage best, but if you have another car you drive daily then the manual is 100% the way to go
DD with quite a bit of traffic, but i really don't struggle with this as I am used to it and can do it without thinking.

Worried it might be more work to remember to hold the foot on the brake more than working the gears.

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Well auto is faster than MT anyway but i think most people get MT because its more fun. The connect you feel with your car is unexplainable. Also nowadays MT drivers are a proud minority, these kids nowadays probably dont even know what the term stick shift even means.
IMO ill just wait till im older and have a hard time pressing the clutch until i convert to Auto. I drove auto for 10 years and driven MT for 6. Theres no competition, the auto always felt like the Point A to Point B car, the MT felt like....well...driving.

But also commute plays a part, if you got a tough commute then the auto might be better.

I also love the aspect that you can never truly master a manual transmission. Even though its second nature to me i always feel like there is room for improvement, it makes driving more interesting.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I love manuals, buy my '15 MT-82 is absolute crap to shift until it has been running more than 15 minutes and everything is warmed up. Notch, clunk, notch, clunk... After it is warmed up I actually enjoy it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well auto is faster than MT anyway .....
I'd say an auto is more consistent in acceleration. A good manual driver should be able to beat the auto in a straight line, but the human interaction is not consistent.

Having said that I saw a video of the 10SPD being used around a track in the Camaro, and they raved about the paddle shifting.

I think the performance difference will be considerable with the new 10SPD auto.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Was about you say....

You don't need remote start, you live in Texas!

Then I thought to myself I used to live in Houston.... Sure would've been nice to get into a cool car now and then. lol

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Auto's are faster on paper but really when you actually look at it from reality is .5 second to a second THAT much faster? There are S550 manuals in low 9s, autos in 8s...

Any sort of time competition car = auto definitely.

If it's a cruiser for the back roads and mountains I just don't see how it can be argued that a manual isn't better.

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I love manuals, but with the new 10spd and seeing how easy it is to go fast in the current 6r80's, I'd probably go auto.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I think the manual suits this car better. It's far more interactive than the auto and lets you feel the mechanical nature of the car.

I'm in heavy traffic every day and it's not that bad. Creep mode really helps civilize this car in traffic. We'll see if I pay the price with a spent clutch though.

OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Was about you say....

You don't need remote start, you live in Texas!

Then I thought to myself I used to live in Houston.... Sure would've been nice to get into a cool car now and then. lol
Oh man that and ventilated seats!! :thumbsup::headbang::cheers:

And of course the parking at work isn't covered so it's even worse!

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I like my manual '15 GT. It's been a real hoot to drive.

But sometimes you lose races to a bogged start, or a missed shift, or other such things. Which always sucks.

I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission or the shifter. My neighbor has an '11 GT, manual, and mentioned that the '15 shifts much better. I'd wager the '18 will see additional improvement in that area.

What you need to worry about is the fact that stick vs. 10sp auto, all things being equal, you're gonna lose unless the auto driver sucks. Even now, with the 6sp stick vs 6sp auto at the dragstrip, I've gotta be on my A game to beat an auto driver. And he's gotta be kind of sh*tty.

If drag racing (or street racing - but we're not going to promote that sh*t here) is your thing, go auto.

If it's about the driving experience, go manual, unless the 10sp auto gets some kind of awesome shift-it-yourself reviews when the '18 is road tested.

If you're like me, and it's about both... *shrug* just buy one and don't look back. You ain't exactly suffering with either car.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I love manuals, buy my '15 MT-82 is absolute crap to shift until it has been running more than 15 minutes and everything is warmed up. Notch, clunk, notch, clunk... After it is warmed up I actually enjoy it.
Mine was kind of clunky stock as I think all MT82's are. I replaced fluid with Amsoil, swapped in a Stainless clutch line, and installed an MGW. Absolutely awesome to row gears in it now. Let one of my fox buds drive it that has a nice T56 and he came back ranting about how nice the trans is...I kind of chuckled and thought, if you only knew about the MT82! Lol
Sponsored