s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Just saying mate - hope I'm wrong but usually when you get a pop like that and then engine is no worky this means OPG/CS is shot.

The fact the valves hit the piston as you suspect means the cam sprocket is most likely broken. This would not cause any problems with
oil pressure but it will throw a crank sensor code as the cams sensors are in different position now.

Please keep us updated.
Im leaning towards that. Just hoping there are no bent valves.
Sponsored

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Im leaning towards that. Just hoping there are no bent valves.
Bent valves would the least of your concern.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but for now I think the cam sprocket cracked, jumper slightly over and your cam timing is now way off - you can try to pop the valve cover off and stick the endoscope there - you should have good view on the cam sprocket.

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
Sub'd for more info. Good luck, OP.

OP
OP
s550stprmtrooper

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Sub'd for more info. Good luck, OP.
Will do. Prepared for the worst. One of my wholesalers has the Ford Crate long block, in stock. Actually looks like a part number specific for 2017 :)

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
Will do. Prepared for the worst. One of my wholesalers has the Ford Crate long block, in stock. Actually looks like a part number specific for 2017 :)
Might be worth looking into a built short block. May be a similar price and then you can turn it up and worry less.

I'm really interested in the tear down because this has the potential to be the first "public" failure of the crank (timing) gear. At least that I've seen. Seems like OPG failures are a dime a dozen in comparison. It would be incrementally more unusual for on to fail and the OPG not failed at the same time. I have seen the one MMR posted a while ago, but then we're also hocking their new billet piece. If someone reads this and can correct me on anything, please do.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
That's what I got when my toasted my 11k motor from OPG failure.

OP
OP
s550stprmtrooper

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Might be worth looking into a built short block. May be a similar price and then you can turn it up and worry less.

I'm really interested in the tear down because this has the potential to be the first "public" failure of the crank (timing) gear. At least that I've seen. Seems like OPG failures are a dime a dozen in comparison. It would be incrementally more unusual for on to fail and the OPG not failed at the same time. I have seen the one MMR posted a while ago, but then we're also hocking their new billet piece. If someone reads this and can correct me on anything, please do.
I thought about going built, but the only guy I trust in the Coyote world is MPR. Called him yesterday and he's 12 weeks out. I've already had a '14 on jack stands for 7 months.....

This car is a daily and don't expect to ever take it past 700whp, so if I do wind up with a new crate engine, I'll toss and OPG and Crank gear in it, before I put the ATI balancer on.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I thought about going built, but the only guy I trust in the Coyote world is MPR. Called him yesterday and he's 12 weeks out. I've already had a '14 on jack stands for 7 months.....

This car is a daily and don't expect to ever take it past 700whp, so if I do wind up with a new crate engine, I'll toss and OPG and Crank gear in it, before I put the ATI balancer on.
I had the same feelings as you. I first looked at build blocks but then realized my car was never going over 700 whp.

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
I haven't priced compared so I don't know what the difference is. I get the DD thing though. That's what mine is. Hence why I won't go E85 or anything crazy.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
A 2017 crate motor long block, no intake and harness can be had at White Bear Lake Ford for $5100 shipped.

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
Wow, long block...that almost seems like a bargain. I would've thought it was higher.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Wow, long block...that almost seems like a bargain. I would've thought it was higher.
Its a bargain through White bear lake, ask them for there best price on the long block without the intake and harness.

OP
OP
s550stprmtrooper

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
A 2017 crate motor long block, no intake and harness can be had at White Bear Lake Ford for $5100 shipped.
Thats a good find! A about the same price, wholesale, but I'd have to pay shipping.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP