Sponsored

Question about R springs

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
The Magneride shocks are the same ones used on the Corvette. Corvettes and Mustangs also use the same DSC controller to tune the damping. All Corvettes use same DSC calibration, regardless of spring. In fact the calibration values for the Shelby are identical to those of the Corvette. Michael Levitas has been daily driving an R for the past two weeks and will be releasing updated software and firmware next week. I mentioned to him that my car is bouncy on certain roads. He told me to be sure the "transport blocks" are out from the springs. Has anyone heard of those?
Now that is interesting information. I would never have thought that the dampeners were the same, let alone running the same calibration. Where is this info from, if you can say?

AFAIK, the transport blocks are spring spacers used during delivery transportation and are only found on the 350R.
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Do the R Springs really change the ride that much?
They change the ride dramatically.

Also even though the R and track pack rear springs have similar rates they don't work the same.

The track pack ones are more progressive. The r ones are more linear

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The R dampers are not the same as non R dampers.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Spring Rate Comparison

This is the data from my 2016 Track Pack Springs vs. the R Springs.

Data is courtesy of the folks at Vorshlag, purveyors of most excellent camber plates.

The R rear sway bar is 1/16" larger diameter.
Spring_comparison.JPG

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to see the R springs compared to the ford performance M-5300-W and Eibach gt350 springs.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I'd like to see the R springs compared to the ford performance M-5300-W and Eibach gt350 springs.
So voodoo, do u prefer linear springs rather than progressive ? Seems the FP springs are linear and the Eibach are progressive. Any thoughts on that

Ty.

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I placed an order for R springs last week.

The P/N have changed for the rear springs, just to let you know...

FR3Z-5560-T = FR3Z-5560-W
FR3Z-5560-P = FR3Z-5560-X

I dont know if they changed something...

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I'm also on the group buy for the FP springs. I'll see which ones I like better once I have both. For sure lower an stiffer would be great but will it be practical as a DD, since I'm considering the R or APR front splitter...

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
So voodoo, do u prefer linear springs rather than progressive ? Seems the FP springs are linear and the Eibach are progressive. Any thoughts on that

Ty.
Progressive rate springs are not much of a handling spring. I had no interest in the Eibach springs.
But now that I know the Ford performance springs are linear and they say stiffer then R springs (which I have now) I placed my order along with both ford performance tow hooks.
My main concern now will be ground clearance. Everything around here is pretty flat but I have a R splitter and 30 series tires.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I am not going to be an early adopter of the springs. The feedback you hear about the R ride is that it's pretty darn stiff and racey. I love that this car lives very comfortably in both worlds (track and street) and I don't want to mess with that mojo. With tires, the 350 on the track is already every bit as fast as my full Griggs 750whp GT500 was. I also primarily run PCA days and there are very few cars faster on track at the events I attend.

On my GT500 I had the ride height set pretty high and I still paid for it on the street. Even with the 350 as it sits now I have had some scrapeage on track in a couple areas of elevation change on the track. I had been eyeing the R springs, so I will be interested to hear the feedback on these.

I get the aesthetics of lowering the car to better accommodate 30 series tires. I probably would have bit for a half inch drop, but 3/4 seems a tad much for me. And the stiffness seems a bit much given how the R rides. Am I the only one feeling this way?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I am not going to be an early adopter of the springs. The feedback you hear about the R ride is that it's pretty darn stiff and racey. I love that this car lives very comfortably in both worlds (track and street) and I don't want to mess with that mojo. With tires, the 350 on the track is already every bit as fast as my full Griggs 750whp GT500 was. I also primarily run PCA days and there are very few cars faster on track at the events I attend.

On my GT500 I had the ride height set pretty high and I still paid for it on the street. Even with the 350 as it sits now I have had some scrapeage on track in a couple areas of elevation change. I had been eyeing the R springs, so I will be interested to hear the feedback on these.

I get the aesthetics of lowering the car to better accommodate 30 series tires. I probably would have bit for a half inch drop, but 3/4 seems a tad much for me. And the stiffness seems a bit much given the how the R rides. I am the only one feeling this way?
No because I wish they lowered it 1/2" also. I have the R springs, R splitter and 30 series tires also. I would be happy if the FP springs lowered the car 1/2" and kept the R rates. But FP is so damn stubborn and tight lipped and does not post or tell the rates. I ordered the springs to measure them myself.
I don't get why they keep it a secret. Dumb if you ask me.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
No because I wish they lowered it 1/2" also. I have the R springs, R splitter and 30 series tires also. I would be happy if the FP springs lowered the car 1/2" and kept the R rates. But FP is so damn stubborn and tight lipped and does not post or tell the rates. I ordered the springs to measure them myself.
I don't get why they keep it a secret. Dumb if you ask me.
I will be keeping an eye out for your assessment of these compared to the R springs.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I will be keeping an eye out for your assessment of these compared to the R springs.
It's gonna be a long wait. According to FP the springs won't be available until April.
I've been talking with them about these springs since the end of December. We just now learned they are linear and 20mm drop. That's what annoys me about FP, they are to tight lipped about the rates.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
It's gonna be a long wait. According to FP the springs won't be available until April.
I've been talking with them about these springs since the end of December. We just now learned they are linear and 20mm drop. That's what annoys me about FP, they are to tight lipped about the rates.
I'm going to make some rear bushing upgrades this season and assess. Will then look to potentially do spring/rear sway bar upgrade next season. There will be lots of feeback by then :thumbsup:
Sponsored