Sponsored

Is my AC about to have problems?

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Recently I started noticing my car randomly puffing out something that looks like ashes or flakes from the AC vents. And now I'm noticing a whine from the AC that goes up and down with RPMs and stops if I turn off the compressor. My car only has 10,000 miles. Are these normal, or a sign of problems to come?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Ashes sure doesn't sound good. I know nothing about AC and wonder if mine is bad right now. It went bad last summer and there was a funny smell in the car.. I took it in and they said there was a leak in a line. They replaced the line and recharged it. The smell came back but it's cold outside so hard to tell if AC is working. The other thing I notice is if I go through a car wash now, the windows fog up real bad with the AC on, never did that before.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Ashes sure doesn't sound good. I know nothing about AC and wonder if mine is bad right now. It went bad last summer and there was a funny smell in the car.. I took it in and they said there was a leak in a line. They replaced the line and recharged it. The smell came back but it's cold outside so hard to tell if AC is working. The other thing I notice is if I go through a car wash now, the windows fog up real bad with the AC on, never did that before.
its like snowflakes and it disappears,well melts when it touches something so it disappeared real quick

notstok5.0

IG: notstok5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT
Vehicle Showcase
Crap, I just noticed some of these sympoms too... i think my compressor is also shot. When I turn the A/C on I get that whine that changes with RPM and the air coming out isn't cold (and smells) and when it rains with the A/C on there is always moisture on the windows.

Sponsored

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Crap, I just noticed some of these sympoms too... i think my compressor is also shot. When I turn the A/C on I get that whine that changes with RPM and the air coming out isn't cold (and smells) and when it rains with the A/C on there is always moisture on the windows.
moldy smell? i had a moldy smell before it went out, cabin filter change didnt do much

notstok5.0

IG: notstok5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT
Vehicle Showcase
moldy smell? i had a moldy smell before it went out, cabin filter change didnt do much
Yes, but I'm also getting a whine from my compressor. If I had to guess it could be the compressor is telling me I'm out of freon, unless it's the compressor that is shot. I'm at 35xxx miles too.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
I should also mention that my AC is still blowing cold.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
I should also mention that my AC is still blowing cold.
my problem was a moldy/mildew smell, then the snowflakes, then driver side a/c went out and just blows air, not hot air, while passenger side was still cold, whine, now passenger side is the same. its still a A TINY BIT cold but barely. 31,677 miles.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Yes, but I'm also getting a whine from my compressor. If I had to guess it could be the compressor is telling me I'm out of freon, unless it's the compressor that is shot. I'm at 35xxx miles too.
go before 36k :O unless you have extended warranty

Sponsored
OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Yup...AC quit on me this weekend; while I was wearing a suit, on my way to an out of town funeral. And its been hot here the last few days. I'm disappointed that this is happening after only 10,000 miles (and my car is a garage queen), but all is cool as long as the dealer gets me fixed up without any hiccups.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Just heard from the service department. He said that its the evaporator...and that he is trying to get one rushed over so I can get my car back. Thinking that I would rather see them take the time to a good job on my car and not mess anything up, I mentioned to him that I'm not in a big rush to get it back since its primarily a garage queen. NOW I'm reading these horror stories about how the entire dash has to be pulled out...and parts being on backorder from the factory, with some folks waiting a month to get their cars back. Now I'm worried.
Sponsored