Sponsored

K&N CAI kit now available

buggy whip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford pinto, '16 GT350/OxFo/ Trac/Stripe delete
Got news from K&N that they have released their latest CAI for the GT350 - 5.2 engine.

Cost - $364.00

Not Legal in CA., AZ, MA, MD, NJ, NY, New Mexico, OR, PA, VT,WA ....
Sponsored

Last edited:

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
They "guarantee" an 18.12 hp increase. Highly unlikely and I'd go so far as to say impossible. The only advantage over stock is elimination of the accordion section which has a sharp lip after the 90 degree bend. A cone the size of the stocker is not restrictive regardless of material. I'm half tempted to drive down there and have them back up their guarantee.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Please do. Are the claiming a tune is not needed?

Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
No tune. It also appears to do away with the factory cold air duct.

"K&N guarantees that by replacing your restrictive factory air intake system with a high-performance K&N system, your engine will produce more power. K&N air intake systems are tested on a dynamometer to determine the estimated horsepower gain that you can expect your vehicle to benefit from with a K&N system installed."

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
GT350 has the most aggressive stock intake I have seen in any production car, I think if there is one area where we are likely to see very little to no improvement, it will be the intake.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I've tested a lot of intakes for restriction with a manometer. The first one was my high school graduation present: 1971 Mercury Capri. The most recent was my 2013 Boss 302 which was quite restrictive: 26 inches of water measured in front of the throttle body compared with 6 inches with the Steeda. Interestingly almost all the restriction was due to the intake tube. I measured in front and behind the enclosed filter box and there was virtually no difference. When I make the time I will test the Shelby intake.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, they have the dyno sheet to prove the gains. Same car, same day.

Unless someone else comes in here with a dyno sheet to show otherwise I wouldn't go about calling them fibbing.

Anytime a manufacturer comes out with a product and claims gains, I always see the crowd demanding dyno numbers. Now K&N, a major manufacturer, provides dyno numbers from the same car, same day, and people still don't believe it. What more do you want?

At any rate hats off to K&N. I hope the dyno results are accurate, and wish it was CA legal.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Unless someone else comes in here with a dyno sheet to show otherwise I wouldn't go about calling them fibbing.

Anytime a manufacturer comes out with a product and claims gains, I always see the crowd demanding dyno numbers. Now K&N, a major manufacturer, provides dyno numbers from the same car, same day, and people still don't believe it. What more do you want?

At any rate hats off to K&N. I hope the dyno results are accurate, and wish it was CA legal.
Yeah but for some reason the dyno sheets from manufactures seem to usually have a lower base line then the members dynos. And if the gains where from increasing diameter and letting more air in then the computer is expecting they will disappear over time

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

In the words of Ronald Reagan: "Trust but verify."

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
And if the gains where from increasing diameter and letting more air in then the computer is expecting they will disappear over time
Actually this is not true. As long as the MAF is correctly calibrated the computer will maintain the correct AFR.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Actually this is not true. As long as the MAF is correctly calibrated the computer will maintain the correct AFR.
The way a lot of intake make power is to put this MAF in a slightly larger pipe then stock (diameter). This allows more air in then is expected by the ECU causing the A/F to be leaned out and making slightly more power. This method is temporary eventually the stock ECU adds fuel (via fuel trims) and you loose any power you gained.

If this intakes develops power by reducing a restriction or increasing efficiency by some other means that would be permanent.

My AEM intakes in the past have all done the bigger pipe trick.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The way a lot of intake make power is to put this MAF in a slightly larger pipe then stock (diameter). This allows more air in then is expected by the ECU causing the A/F to be leaned out and making slightly more power. This method is temporary eventually the stock ECU adds fuel (via fuel trims) and you loose any power you gained.

If this intakes develops power by reducing a restriction or increasing efficiency by some other means that would be permanent.

My AEM intakes in the past have all done the bigger pipe trick.
Any intake that uses a larger MAF housing requires a tune to compensate for the decrease in velocity. As long as that is done any increase in power will be maintained. Testing restriction by measuring pressure drop at the throttle body inlet is an excellent way to determine if there is power to be gained. Unlike a dyno test which may vary from one run to another, you can do a hundred full throttle runs and the manometer will read the same every time. I will test the factory intake in the near future if the weather cooperates.
Sponsored