engine tick question

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
so im approaching my first oil change and am super paranoid about this tick that seems to show up after the first oil change...of all the threads and posts ive read i have yet to see anyone with a 2016 or 2017 commenting or joining the discussion saying they have developed the tick. anyone with a 2016 or 2017 develop the tick after an oil change?

anyone (15-17) that did develop the tick...did changing the oil viscosity help or solve the issue? a lot of people mentioned the oil from factory being too thin but no one reported back after changing oil viscosity to something thicker so im just curious if i should just go with something slightly thicker from the get go
Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
so im approaching my first oil change and am super paranoid about this tick that seems to show up after the first oil change...of all the threads and posts ive read i have yet to see anyone with a 2016 or 2017 commenting or joining the discussion saying they have developed the tick. anyone with a 2016 or 2017 develop the tick after an oil change?

anyone (15-17) that did develop the tick...did changing the oil viscosity help or solve the issue? a lot of people mentioned the oil from factory being too thin but no one reported back after changing oil viscosity to something thicker so im just curious if i should just go with something slightly thicker from the get go
Just changed mine myself last week used motorcraft oil n filter 5w 20 @ 7000 miles everything went smooth 20 mins easy job, no ticks or odd noises.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i did mine at 1500 miles switched to amsoil.. and oem filter .. no tick here and im at 4400 miles now

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't change from the factory recommended oil viscosity. They actually have teams of engineers working to make sure the oil works properly in the engine. Arbitrarily changing is not a good idea. Keep your warranty coverage intact by following Ford's recommendations. If you do develop an engine problem (which is unlikely IMO), it will be covered under the warranty.

OP
OP

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
recommended is 5w-20, supposedly they have 5w-30 as an optional oil in the manual which says to me that its fine and would be covered. i havent read mine yet. but it seemed that everyone who was developing this tick was starting to think the oil was too thin when hot. but every post i read was people driving 15s so i was curious as to everyone with 16-17s if anyone had the same issue?

Sponsored

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Changed mine a few weeks ago at around 4500 miles with Mobil 1 5W20 and Mobil 1 filter. No ticking. No changes at all.

On a side note - 8 quarts is a bunch of drain oil to deal with!

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
15 here...did my first time oil change at 5k and used motorcraft 5w20...no tick. i'm at 16k miles and have changed the oil 3 times (every 5k miles). I'm sticking with the motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft oil filter.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
mine is getting a short block after the 1st oil change done at the dealer.........2500 miles the day after the oil change I had a knock but it was not the BBQ tick a lot fo 11-14 had it was more like an aluminum tapping maybe piston slap? maybe something else but............................

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
mine is getting a short block after the 1st oil change done at the dealer.........2500 miles the day after the oil change I had a knock but it was not the BBQ tick a lot fo 11-14 had it was more like an aluminum tapping maybe piston slap? maybe something else but............................
Did it make any sounds before taking it in for serviceing?

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
6,000 miles and four oil changes and it has no problems. Mobil 1 5w-20 and Purolator filters.
Keltymd, I'll bet they didn't put oil in the engine and moved the car out and then realized what they did and pulled it back in and added the oil.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Did it make any sounds before taking it in for serviceing?
not a peep. I am not trying to get them to do a buyback and swap it for another car. I dont trust the dealer to do a shortblock, complete TB to Oilpan swap I would do but not a shortblock

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
6,000 miles and four oil changes and it has no problems. Mobil 1 5w-20 and Purolator filters.
Keltymd, I'll bet they didn't put oil in the engine and moved the car out and then realized what they did and pulled it back in and added the oil.
maybe either way I dont want her back after being so molested any more. I took it to them for the first change because my 14 had the BBQ tick and I wanted to make sure I did not get that issue again. Well I guess I didnt get that anyway :headbonk:

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
here is the best part. the second time I took it in for the issue the notes on the invoice "could not duplicate issue" Well I love my dash cam

Last edited:

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
not a peep. I am not trying to get them to do a buyback and swap it for another car. I dont trust the dealer to do a shortblock, complete TB to Oilpan swap I would do but not a shortblock
That sounds like possibly someone started the car dry and forgot the oil for a moment, I would not see any other reason why just a simple oil change especially with only 2k miles on the oil to magically start knocking. I am very leery of using the dealer for any minor stuff.
Sponsored