Sponsored

Good Texas Driving Roads

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I found a few threads on the subject but nothing specific to Texas.

Post any fun routes you've either encountered or know about already.

I went to Enchanted Rock Saturday which puts me on one of my favorite roads HWY 965 but of course on a Saturday it was a little crowded but still had some nice turns and elevation changes. I usually take HWY 1431 through Marble Falls from Austin which is a really nice drive as well.

We stayed in Kerrville then went out to Lost Maples National park where I discovered an amazing road. HWY 39 between Kerrville and Lost Maples. I had never been to Lost Maples before so this was a discovery for me. Even my GF who's from Seattle was impressed by the drive and she's pretty negative on Texas topography for the most part.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The "three twisted sisters" are 335, 336, and 337 and are supposed to be good (near low maples).

The Devils Backbone 32 is often claimed to be a good drive, but it's pretty tame with only about 5 turns worthy of note.

Lime Creek are near Austin is the best I know of, with numerous tight switchbacks, but little margin for error. (Basically connects to 1431)

There are some roads near or out of Kerrville that look good (39)

There are some other less traveled loops near Austin and Dripping Springs we like to drive, which I can't seem to find on a map at the moment.

RouteAbel

2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, Magnetic
The "three twisted sisters" are 335, 336, and 337 and are supposed to be good (near low maples).

The Devils Backbone 32 is often claimed to be a good drive, but it's pretty tame with only about 5 turns worthy of note.

Lime Creek are near Austin is the best I know of, with numerous tight switchbacks, but little margin for error. (Basically connects to 1431)

There are some roads near or out of Kerrville that look good (39)

There are some other less traveled loops near Austin and Dripping Springs we like to drive, which I can't seem to find on a map at the moment.
Lime Creek road is a ton of fun but you need to know where the driveways are. Dont want to come around a tight corner to someone pulling out. I still worry about someone crossing the line because there isnt much shoulder to dodge in a lot of places.

RouteAbel

2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, Magnetic
Scenic Overlook Drive in the Ft. Davis mountains near McDonald Observatory would be incredible in a Mustang. Was killing me in the kid hauler, next time we go back we are taking 2 cars.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
Thirteen cars from our DFW M6G group cruised the sisters this past February. It's the most fun I've ever had in the car, hands down (haven't had it on a track yet). It was so much fun, we're planning to make an annual event out of it. We are considering grouping up with the other Texas M6G groups as well. It's about time to start planning the next trip actually...

EDIT: here's a link to the thread for our 2016 Three Sisters cruise.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Iceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150,2016 PP GT
Thirteen cars from our DFW M6G group cruised the sisters this past February. It's the most fun I've ever had in the car, hands down (haven't had it on a track yet). It was so much fun, we're planning to make an annual event out of it. We are considering grouping up with the other Texas M6G groups as well. It's about time to start planning the next trip actually...

EDIT: here's a link to the thread for our 2016 Three Sisters cruise.
I'm in the San Antonio area, that is a short drive for me. I would love to meet some of you'll. Always down to check out other mustangs

trbstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
87 5.0 LX, 16 PP GT Premium
I went on a hill country cruise with the Texas Saleen club last month and we had a blast. We started in the morning in Kerrville, took 16 out to Medina, then to Leakey, 336 up to 41, then east to 1340 and back to Kerrville along the Guadalupe river. After lunch we cruised up to Fredricksburg to tour Street Dreams classic cars, and then took several roads through Luckenbach and Blanco down to Boerne in time for the car show they had on Saturday evening at Soda Pops grille. It was about 250 miles of great two lane roads for the most part. We will be doing it again, for sure.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Scenic Overlook Drive in the Ft. Davis mountains near McDonald Observatory would be incredible in a Mustang. Was killing me in the kid hauler, next time we go back we are taking 2 cars.
Did it. All of it. And yes, unbelievable in a Mustang. And wonderful way to get out of the humidity and heat in the Summer (Ft. Davis is > 5,000 ft).

Spartanator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Stage 3 Roush
I might be headed up to the Kerrville family house in a few weeks. Rarely go up there so I forget the roads. Haven't been to the house there in a little over a year.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I might be headed up to the Kerrville family house in a few weeks. Rarely go up there so I forget the roads. Haven't been to the house there in a little over a year.
If you head up 16 from San Antonio into Kerrville you'll hit a long series of switchbacks. Really fun drive. Good elevation changes and very nice, diverse scenery.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
16 to Kerrville is on my "list to do", as I enjoy the twisty's around Gonzales and Halletsville,Tx. My coastal bend hwy's are 75 mph but not as twisted as the sisters or 16. I enjoy chicane's and S-curves so much I crave powerslides and fishtails. Enjoy & be safe.
Sponsored