Sponsored

GT350 oil pump and gears

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So do we know for sure that the GT350s use the same OPGs as the 5.0s? I just got finished watching this... [ame] ...at the 18:40 mark Eric Ladner (engine systems supervisor) mentions an upgraded oil pump.
Sponsored

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
He said a higher pressure but the gear material is probably still the same. I haven't seen much on people with billet OPGs and lots of miles from Mod motors or Coyotes. I have heard that really hard gear alloys wear the crank faster. Not saying it does or doesn't but may be a consideration when building factory engines that are suppose to last 200K or more vs hot rod engines that see limited mileage.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
... when building factory engines that are suppose to last 200K or more vs hot rod engines that see limited mileage.
I wish I could count on my engine lasting 200k miles. My first one lasted just over 3,000. We'll see how long engine #2 lasts!

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
A 526hp flatplane engine is not going to last 200,000 miles. Period.
Unless you drive only highway speeds and drive like a grandma.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'd like to know how the hardness of an oil pump gear would ware out a crank?
Also, these things must be over heated making them brittle as hell

Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to know how the hardness of an oil pump gear would ware out a crank?
Also, these things must be over heated making them brittle as hell
They are either over hardened or cast.
People sometimes don't get it. I try to explain it like sockets. Chrome sockets are harder than impact sockets. That's why you shouldn't use chrome sockets with power tools....they break. The softer impact sockets absorb shock.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yes, I'm a machinist, I've machined lots of castings. Looking at this piece shattered in there looks like it wasn't heat treated correctly, also look at those thin webs and the part thickiness. This should be a machined billet piece for sure.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I'm a machinist, I've machined lots of castings. Looking at this piece shattered in there looks like it wasn't heat treated correctly, also look at those thin webs and the part thickiness. This should be a machined billet piece for sure.
Agreed. I'm a journeyman tool and die maker myself. The material used for the stock OPG is a complete joke.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I bet you anything they are cast and absolutely wrong to use something so frail in this application.

Sponsored

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Back on the old pushrod fords you could twist a oil pump shaft. Until they made 3/8" round shafts. The shaft itself was the weak link. Today's oil pumps weak links are the gears themselves.
While that mod strengthened part of the shaft the hex section at each end is still a weak link because the shaft torque is constant for the full length but the torsion section modulus for the hex section is still the same as the old shaft.

Regarding the picture of the failed pump on old small blocks: The pump did not fail because of the shaft. The pump failed the shaft because the pump gear rotor seized.

Last edited:

nhgaudreau

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've been looking into billet oil pump gears for my GT350. I've installed some OPG on 5.0's and it's a easy straight foward job and can easily be done without dropping the oil pan because the pick up tube bolts on. But, on the GT350 5.2 the pick up is part of the pan and the pan must be dropped to remove the oil pump. I've called ford performance and like always they don't know and don't care to find out if the gears are the same as the 5.0 or not. I'm willing to buy a billet set of 5.0 opg's and a 5.2 oil pump and to inspect and measure them myself but it irks the hell out of me when ford performance doesn't know anything and doesn't see interest in finding out.
Over the winter I'm going to drop my front K member and this would be a great time to swap the opg's out, but I don't want to go through all the extra work of removing the oil pump if none of the parts interchange.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6675-M52
List price of $625.00 isn't bad and with my discount I can get it for $430.00
Besides the oil pump housing looking different then the 5.0 I'm sure the gears are the same.
Do you know where you're going to get the billet gears? I might go that route as well...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
The oil pump gears are not available separately from the dealer guys. Why would you assume they would be? You have to buy the whole pump if you want the gears from the dealer. Not sure why anyone would waste time installing stock oem gears.
The gears from the 5.0 and voodoo are made exactly from the same material and dimensions.
I wouldn't buy the MMR gears myself, I'd buy TSS or BOUNDRY in that order. I'd also replace the timing gear at the same time.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
`

Any one go to the parts counter and ask the parts many to look up the pieces for each motor.
The only thing the parts guy will be able to tell you is that they are different part numbers for the oil pumps. there is no in-depth information such as material type.
Sponsored