Sponsored

GT350 oil pump and gears

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Interesting dilemma. Do you change to a more robust billet OPG, but take the warranty risk if something were to happen? Or do you stay stock but with a higher likelihood of failure?

I plan to drive the car hard, stay stock, and then re-evaluate once the warranty expires. It does seem like going to a billet OPG would be useful long-term. I did notice that Ford provides a billet OPG on their new Aluminator 5.2 crate engine, so I imagine that gear would be available as a standalone upgrade at some point.

-T
Ill be proactive when warranty runs out, otherwise, its all stock components(and on Fords dime) if something goes wrong. Sounds like a billet OPG is first on my list of engine related mods when im out of warranty(8yrs from now)
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It was 62 deg. today. It took me about 15 minutes to get up to 194. That's where Temps sat today. I ran it to 7k and just after a few 6ks and temp got to around 199 and didn't make it over 200. I'll make something to keep Temps up for next year. I may throw a billet OPG in there before warranty is up..probably a couple years.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It was 62 deg. today. It took me about 15 minutes to get up to 194. That's where Temps sat today. I ran it to 7k and just after a few 6ks and temp got to around 199 and didn't make it over 200. I'll make something to keep Temps up for next year. I may throw a billet OPG in there before warranty is up..probably a couple years.
Nice car ;)

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Interesting dilemma. Do you change to a more robust billet OPG, but take the warranty risk if something were to happen? Or do you stay stock but with a higher likelihood of failure?

I plan to drive the car hard, stay stock, and then re-evaluate once the warranty expires. It does seem like going to a billet OPG would be useful long-term. I did notice that Ford provides a billet OPG on their new Aluminator 5.2 crate engine, so I imagine that gear would be available as a standalone upgrade at some point.

-T
I talked to a few guys at the Ford Performance Hotline at length while I was going through my engine replacement. They told me they use billet OPGs in a lot of (or all) of their crate engines because they assume many buyers of those engines will do forced induction setups, especially superchargers. Which I guess put additional strain/vibration on the oil pump.

FWIW they assured me that my car's oil pump failure was highly unusual, and the oil pump in the Voodoo (and Coyote) is made to deal with the high pressures and stress.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Besides panel fitment and assembly woes. On a engineering standpoint, ford dropped the ball on the weak ass opg's. So stupid they didn't put billet gears in a engine that red lines to 8250rpm. I mean seriously ford, these billet gears would cost you a few measly dollars over the sand castle ones you decided to use and for what? Some failed engines, down time, disappointed customers, labor lost, some mechanics dirty, greasy shit hooks all over some customers car, scratches in the paint, months waiting for engine replacements, All while the customer still has to make his car payment and most of the dealers don't even offer a loaner and when they do the best they loan out is a fiesta and not a mustang GT at least!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I talked to a few guys at the Ford Performance Hotline at length while I was going through my engine replacement. They told me they use billet OPGs in a lot of (or all) of their crate engines because they assume many buyers of those engines will do forced induction setups, especially superchargers. Which I guess put additional strain/vibration on the oil pump.

FWIW they assured me that my car's oil pump failure was highly unusual, and the oil pump in the Voodoo (and Coyote) is made to deal with the high pressures and stress.
When I decide to replace my opg's over the winter when I drop out my front K member I'm going to have my dad check the original opg's and we're going to compare them to the billet gears.
That bs ford performance told you...."to deal with the high pressures and stress" is a fking joke to say the least. It's a track car that RED LINES TO 8250RPM! With a flatplane crank that they told everyone vibrates!
I'm curious of what kind of steel and hardness the original gears are made of. I will do a Rockwell test on them and we all know for a fact it's bs.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
When I decide to replace my opg's over the winter when I drop out my front K member I'm going to have my dad check the original opg's and we're going to compare them to the billet gears.
That bs ford performance told you...."to deal with the high pressures and stress" is a fking joke to say the least. It's a track car that RED LINES TO 8250RPM! With a flatplane crank that they told everyone vibrates!
I'm curious of what kind of steel and hardness the original gears are made of. I will do a Rockwell test on them and we all know for a fact it's bs.
I'm looking forward to you doing this. Thanks man!! I'm also going to try to get in touch with Ford to find out what they found during the tear down of my engine. I hope I can find out...

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking forward to you doing this. Thanks man!! I'm also going to try to get in touch with Ford to find out what they found during the tear down of my engine. I hope I can find out...
Good luck getting a straight answer for that. You're better off being struck by lightning.

gilbobilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT350
Help!!! My Engine is using oil and Ford wants to change it out. I've read your threads and see this is not cool of Ford. I may take them up on keeping my engine and putting a new one in. I would rather keep the car intact as I told them (numbers matching) and tried to give the car back; which they don't want to do. I have an extended warranty with free oil changes for years...I wonder if every time I need oil if they will top me off????? I will keep the car intact and wait for a solution from ford unless any of you have heard of a fix...I ordered me some oil tonight!!!!!

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
There is no fix. It's the nature of the beast.

Sponsored

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Help!!! My Engine is using oil and Ford wants to change it out. I've read your threads and see this is not cool of Ford. I may take them up on keeping my engine and putting a new one in. I would rather keep the car intact as I told them (numbers matching) and tried to give the car back; which they don't want to do. I have an extended warranty with free oil changes for years...I wonder if every time I need oil if they will top me off????? I will keep the car intact and wait for a solution from ford unless any of you have heard of a fix...I ordered me some oil tonight!!!!!

[MENTION=27360]gilbobilly[/MENTION] check out [MENTION=24957]Minn19[/MENTION] thread on his excessive oil consumption (if you hadn't seen it already): http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67828

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Get ready to work on your patience skills. Because if your situation is similar to a lot of others here, you are in for a long wait for the new engine. Not to mention the fun of trying to work with Ford.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
There is no fix. It's the nature of the beast.
Agreed to a point, but a lot of this is out of hand. It has been admitted to multiple people by FP that they are aware and admits it is an issue. For whatever that is worth anyway.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Agreed to a point, but a lot of this is out of hand. It has been admitted to multiple people by FP that they are aware and admits it is an issue. For whatever that is worth anyway.
I know. But they also know people with tech packs want transmission coolers. You see how fast they got on that.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I know. But they also know people with tech packs want transmission coolers. You see how fast they got on that.
A zillion percent agreed. I still don't think that has been sorted out or made clear by FP. :doh:
Sponsored