Sponsored

Whipple belt chirp

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Yea I ordered on the 15th. I'd rather my kit just be put on hold so it gets the new design tensioner. @Whipple SC is that something that can be done? I won't be installing until spring anyways so I'm in no big hurry to get my kit...
Yes that would not be a problem, especially with our current work load :)

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I swapped to the green gates belt yesterday. While doing so I check the idler pulleys and noticed they all have some play which is probably normal since I think there is rubber inside the pulley. The pulley that is on the adjustable tensioner has twice as much play. I was curious if anyone else has noticed any of their pulley's were similar. I also noticed that the Whipple bracket is covered in a fine mist of rubber so somewhere the belt is getting warn. I just don't see where. Going to email Dustin for the new tensioner either way.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I was working on installing my stage 2 system this weekend and I noticed that all of the idlers have a little movement, probably due to the bearing clearance. I also noticed that the factory water pump pulley when bolted up has a very slight wobble to it as I turn the pulley by hand, the car only has 250 miles on it and the factory water pump has a little play in the shaft. Whipple makes a nice kit but there are a couple things that I feel should have been included with the kit.

1) billet tensioner with the belt loads a cast tensioner has no place in that set up. I also noticed that a couple of people showed pic's of the dowel broken off the back of the tensioner. Whipple says that's due to the tensioner slamming off it's stop but what I noticed is that the hole in the whipple bracket where that tensioner dowel sits in is too big. With the bolt snugged down lightly you can rotate the tensioner left to right over an 1/8 of an inch, and that movement doesn't help the situation when the dowel breaks.

2) All of the idlers including the grooved ones are OEM spec they were never designed for the belt loads that a supercharger poses on them. Someone posted a pic of a smooth idler that came apart and ripped his belt that is a prime example of what I am indicating. All of the idlers should be made of billet aluminum with possibly dual bearings to help support the load.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a slam at whipple they did a very nice job in putting a kit together however we have seen 2 broken tensioners and 1 torn apart idler, and need I mention this belt squeaking issue. For darn near 8600.00 for a full on stage 2 kit with fans I would have expected a billet tensioner along with the billet aluminum idlers. I know they are working on the tensioner as we speak but imo it should have been included in the kit in the first place, a HD cast Dayco tensioner isn't my idea of a robust piece in a supercharged application.:)

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
They have been using the Dayco HD tensioner and these idlers for years with no issues. Why would they invest the time and effort to fix a problem the didn't know they had?

The thing that matters is the way they went forward once the problem raised itself. They started looking into what the possible cause was, made some design improvements (pulley bracket feet, etc) and now are CNC designing a custom tensioner to fix the problem. They will ship one to anyone with the issue and include it in the kit from then on.

I'm going on 2 years of owning this SC and have been taken care of the whole time. Absolutely the best customer service out there!

Last edited:

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Love the Stage 2 I put in but Iam getting the chirp as well now. Showed up pretty much after the first couple drives after installing. As soon as I get on the gas in any gear at any rpm it gives a chirp. Interested in the billet tensioner as well. Great kit and awesome customer service. :thumbsup:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am not knocking them on customer service definitely a stand up company. I have had a total of 4 Whipple's in my history including a 2.9, 3.4, 4.0 and 4.5L and trust me I know all about pullies and belt problems. I had a Roush cast tensioner similar to the Dayco one snap right in half going down the track and it made one hell of a mess, after that I put on a billet thumper tensioner and billet idlers and never looked back.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My old 3 valve made 800 rwhp and 815 tq
IMG_5308.jpg

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
3.4L
IMG_5687.jpg

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
OP sorry for the thread hi jack :cheers:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I am not knocking them on customer service definitely a stand up company. I have had a total of 4 Whipple's in my history including a 2.9, 3.4, 4.0 and 4.5L and trust me I know all about pullies and belt problems. I had a Roush cast tensioner similar to the Dayco one snap right in half going down the track and it made one hell of a mess, after that I put on a billet thumper tensioner and billet idlers and never looked back.
I was actually agreeing with you and just saying what I did for anyone else who maybe thinking about getting a Whipple :)

I have also been a long time customer with 3 kits. 2.9 being the biggest I can't imagine what those massive 4.0 & 4.5 were like :eyebulge:

I have the 10 rib setup which comes with billet idlers which is a piece of mind. They are single bearing but at least they not stock lol. I know Steeda makes billet idlers which I would get if using the 6 rib kit. Not sure if they use dual bearings, I bet they are singe bearings but are an option for guys :headbang:

lyarbrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2.9L Whipple S/C
Dustin,

Should those that have had this issue e-mail you, or anything, to insure we receive the new tensioner?
Sponsored