Sponsored

Catalytic converter rattle? Heat Shield? Knock?

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
2015 GT 5.0 Auto

I have a clacking sound coming from the drivers side while under load and between 2-3k rpms. Happens all the time when I accelerate 25-50% throttle in a gear that is either too high or when going up a hill and rpms drop to 1500 but not low enough for the car to shift.

Its be going on for a week or so but last night I put my stock tune back on the car and drove around before installing my CAI and it seemed a little louder. Then I install my Steeda CAI and uploaded my new Bama performance tune. This morning it was obnoxious and thought about just taking to the dealer but had to get to work so hoping I can diagnosis it today.

It does not make the noise if I rev the engine in neutral. Can avoid it if I drive in sport mode and keep the rpms high. It also does not make the noise unless WOT and then its not as loud and short. Any thoughts? Tune issue? Converter rattle?

Mods on the car.
Steeda CAI
Borla S Type catback
Bama XF4 Tuner
Steeda diff bushings
Steeda sub frame bushings
Steeda rear sub frame brace
JLT oil separator
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Waiting to hear back from Bama but doubting this is a tune/knock issue. I guess anything is possible. Thinking when I get home about putting my restrictor plate in in my CAI and returning the tune back to stock to see if there is any change.

After that I'll see what the dealership has to say but dreading taking a modded car back to the dealer. :frusty:

Guess if its the converter and the dealer doesn't help I'll be ordering longtube headers sooner than later:shrug:

OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Heard back from Bama, Great customer service by the way. Tune file looks good. Think i will still do the CAI plate and stock tune to double check but other than that i'm stumped.

Any autos reporting issues with torque converter, flywheel clatter?

OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Put the Steeda reducer in my CAI and put the stock tune on the car. It completely went away! I have no clue what in the tune would cause that noise but all the options I can think of arent good. Since the stock tune ran fine I decided to put my old bama tune for the stock intake box back on the car and the noise came back. My guess is the old bama tune was always doing this just the stock air box did a better job of masking the sound.

Think the options are the tune file needs to redone or maybe I got bad gas that isn't really 93 octane. I typically always fill up at the same Shell gas station and run their Vpower 93.

I'm sure if its a tune problem bama will figure it out. Car feels like a wet noodle on the stock tune so can't wait to get this sorted out.

OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just got off the phone with Bama and we are going to datalog the car. My only concern is where to WOT test the car:shocked:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Data logs are done and its a spark knock issue. Waiting to get my new tunes back but but should be too hard to fix.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Does it sound anything like this? This is my car doing sort of what you are describing....

[ame]

OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yeah sounded a little bit like that. Really hard to tell from videos but yours actually sounds louder. Have you don't any mods to the car other than exhaust. If you have a tuner run the knock sensor gauge in the datalog and see if the knock sensors are going off when you hear the rattle. If not I would check heat shields, exhaust pipe clearances, or it could be a loose baffle in your muffler. Just some ideas on how to trouble shoot her.

Might is drastically better after having my tune redone. I can no longer hear it over the exhaust but my last datalog still showed some spark knock. Downloading newly update tune tonight and hoping we got it taken care of now. Its taken some time to trouble shoot and get the tune right but hopefully when I get to the dyno its worth the trouble.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I have the Roush phase 1 supercharger kit on the car installed by the dealer with warranty. They thought it was spark knock, but still have yet to find out what the issue is. I can get the issue to happen when it downshifts. The issue does NOT happen when WOT from a dig. Only when it downshifts by itself. If I use the paddles, it does not happen.

OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Sounds like spark knock. If I went WOT it wouldn't happens, and if used the paddle shifters I could also avoid it.

Trying under gearing it & accelerating at 25-50% throttle up a slight incline.

Put it in in sport mode so you can select your gears. Starting from like 20mph in 3rd or 4th gear (1500 rpms) so its under geared and bogs down a bit and accelerate moderately to 40-50mph.

What octane fuel are your running?

Sponsored

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
93.... I tried a few different fuels too.... Happens with all of them. I hope the dealer can figure it out.... They've had the car for a week now and still don't know what it is.

OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yeah hope they figure out quickly for you. At least its under warranty and their problem to fix. Just sucks when you have a new car and can't use it because its parked at the dealer.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Does it sound anything like this? This is my car doing sort of what you are describing....

I HAVE THIS ON MY V6....what was it and did you ever get it fixed?!

**its like a tapping/rattling from under the steering wheel towards the brake pedal or where a clutch pedal would be if I had a manual. Iv already been under there and every electrical connection seems sound. I hope its not anything to do with the engine. It began after getting a catalytic converter replaced under warranty.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Just wondering, issue never came back? My car is stock, save for exhaust and a mishimoto induction hose and at 2250rpm without fail i get a chattering sort of noise. drives me nuts.

NothernVAMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT white
Mine is a 2017 GT automatic and when the girl is at low rpms weather your in P, N, or D I hear a knock, clamping sound from the drivers side. It's like a tap sound.... i don't think it's the engine because it goes away with high rpm and the car runs great...
Sponsored