Whipple Gates Belt Squeak

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
New plate stands were installed to my knowledge as they did come with the tensioner. I'm going to try one of the duralast belts and see how I make out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.
The instal of the new stand requires realignment of the Supercharger and intake, I bet the shop didn't do that. The lower manifold must be loosened and then the plate is installed with new stands and trousers to spec. That way if the last upper bolt to plate and Supercharger has a misalignment issue it will move it.
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
For those of you who installed the new tensioner, did you keep the original belt routing or the "new" belt routing with different belt? I had my shop put the new tensioner on during the week and the clicking and squealing noise went away. However, I started the car this morning and the squeal came back. I popped the hood and noticed the belt is only riding the edge of the pulley above the tensioner. I'm taking it back first thing in the morning for them to readjust and throw a new belt on as mine has been worn.

I have seen mentions of a "new" shorter route method to run the belt. I want to pick up a new belt today from one of the local stores so that I will be ready to go tomorrow when I drop the car off. Just need to know which belt to get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR!! Most importantly, you have the wrong spacer on the tensioner pulley. You should have gotten new ones with your new tensioner. It should look like this. Change that out asap. I PM'd you as well to hopefully get your attention quicker.

Last edited:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR!! Most importantly, you have the wrong spacer on the tensioner pulley. You should have gotten new ones with your new tensioner. It should look like this. Change that out asap.

Nice find Hawk eye! I confirm dbd252 is correct. They didn't follow the directions it seems.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I literally saw these posts right after I began the short commute to the dealer to drop it off with the new duralast belt I picked up from Auto Zone. Belt snapped and I shut it down quick, within seconds. CHT jumped to over 270 :( Hope no damage to motor.

I really appreciate the posts guys and PMs. I literally missed these posts and PMs moments after I had already began driving...talk about timing.

Let's see what tomorrow brings
20170219_153350 (2).jpg

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Man...too bad you didn't get the posts sooner, oh well I'm sure you didn't hurt anything. The thing with going to a power adder is if you don't have the ability to do your own work the. You rely on shops who may not have the experience or patients to deal with Supercharger installation. Frankly I let now one work on my Mustang becuase they will never have the attention to detail regardless of their experience or training. Good luck my friend, and keep us posted.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'm kind of kicking myself because when Whipple sent me the new tensioner and plate stands, they didn't include any instructions. I told the dealer no instructions were included and assumed they either knew how to do it or if unsure would contact Whipple.

Nonetheless, they always help me out, so I'm sure they'll make things right.

I'll let you guys know how we make out tomorrow.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Damn. Sorry you didn't see the post quick enough. That was unavoidable with that setup and driving it. Show them this if you have to. Glad you have a good relationship but there is no excuse for a dealership to think that was ok. Your motor will be fine.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
This is what I got at autozone never heard a sound since

I picked up the same belt and the dealer called me yesterday saying the belt was too long when they attempted to put it on. They were contacting Whipple yesterday to confirm correct belt size and I haven't heard anything since.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Ended up we had the correct belt, but incorrect routing. Glad to report car is back up and running great.

I still hear some very faint belt noise, but nothing to complain about.
Sponsored