Door latch recall - Parts are in

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I don't think I ever got a notice in the mail about it. Is it all 15's or just certain batches of them?
I went to Ford Owners.Com and found the "recall". My dealer then informed me that it would be 6 months to a year before they expected replacement parts.
So just run a rope from one door to the other to insure that the door(s) will not pop open while you are doing 90 on the Interstate.
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I don't think I ever got a notice in the mail about it. Is it all 15's or just certain batches of them?
The theory is that the problem is corrosion related, but it affects all '15 cars. They're starting the recall with cars sold in certain states first. Florida is near the top, and Oregon is on the first list, too...I got a recall notice in the mail for my now totalled '15 car:lol:

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Whats the new issue with the manifolds people are having on the GT's?
Intake manifold runner control system issue, I think bank 2.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So exactly what is replaced for the door latch issue??

Does the Dealer just readjust the door striker on the B-pillar?

Is a new striker installed?

Is a new door latch installed?

Does anyone have a copy of the SSM for the actual fix?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

I believe it's the latch mechanism in the door, which means the door panels need to come off in order to swap out that mechanism. I wouldn't think the door striker would need readjustment unless the new latch is different somehow in the way it mates up with the striker.
S550 Mustang Door Latch Recall Info.JPG

Sponsored

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado

It's a replacement latch assembly.. that's it. Looks exactly the same to me but I guess it's improved?

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I like the GOV recall language. "Scratches from a REAR door". I missed the 4dr Mustang in the showroom! Seriously do these safety people even know what a Mustang is???

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the GOV recall language. "Scratches from a REAR door". I missed the 4dr Mustang in the showroom! Seriously do these safety people even know what a Mustang is???
I think the same latch mechanism is used in other Ford vehicles also, and the statement is a general statement about the problem, not necessarily specific to the Mustang.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is anyone going to ask their dealership for the new parts and do their own install? According to the Ford Warranty, customers can simple request the parts and do their own work. Maybe @Agent_S550 can explain this more, as he has brought this fact up in a couple other threads. But I'm thinking since this is technically a "safety recall", that Ford will not give customers the parts so they can do the work themselves.

Wonder if anyone has found the door latch recall fix instructions on-line yet? I found this info on CJ Pony's website. Ford's number for this recall is 16S30.

2015 Ford Mustang LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES/DOORS LATCH
Year: 2015 Mustang
NHTSA Campaign #: 16V643000
Date Announced: SEPTEMBER 06, 2016
Vehicles Affected: 2,046,297
Summary: Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2012-2015 Ford Focus, 2013-2015 Ford Escape and Ford C-MAX, 2015 Lincoln MKC and Ford Mustang, and 2014-2016 Ford Transit Connect vehicles. A component within the door latches may break, preventing the doors from latching and/or leading the driver or a passenger to believe a door is securely closed when, in fact, it is not.
Consequence: A door that is not securely latched could open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of injury to a vehicle occupant.
Actions: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the door latches with an improved part, free of charge. Due to a limited parts supply, each owner will be sent an interim notification beginning October 3, 2016 and will receive a second notice when parts are available in the second quarter of 2017. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 16S30.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found this PDF from Ford on the NHTSA website which shows how the fix is done. Looks like the side windows need to also come out. Word of advice, make sure your side windows look right and don't leak air or water after this fix.

See page 13 of 14 in this PDF link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCMN-16V643-1168.pdf
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.