Sponsored

Tinted or auto dimming side view mirrors?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Does anybody know a place to get tinted or auto dimming side view mirrors? I like the auto dimming feature of the rear view mirror, but would love to have something that is dimmer with both side view mirrors. Especially when you have a brodozer(lifted truck) behind you.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Tinted side windows...

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the only ones available would be replacement mirror housings.
Some offer replacement glass, but you would need the sensors from Audi or Mercedes.

OP
OP

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I know what you mean living in NC home of the brodozer, as you call it. Which I find hilarious. To be honest I never knew they existed. My new car has them and damn it's nice. Hopefully you can figure something out.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you adjust the mirrors correctly, you won't be seeing the car directly behind you just saying because they would be next to you in your bind spot when you see the headlights and usually the brightness of the headlights are pretty low at that angle (usually around 45 degrees).
You need to overlap the rear view mirror and the side mirrors just a bit. If you can see directly behind you in the door mirrors you have them adjusted too narrow.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
That's fine but I have to see a little bit of my car or I have no point of reference.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The auto dimming feature of the rear view mirror makes no sense when it auto dims at night, making what is already dark behind the car darker...

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That's fine but I have to see a little bit of my car or I have no point of reference.
If you see the side your car in your side-view mirrors, you've got them adjusted incorrectly. Side view mirrors are to see what is in the lane next to you, not the side of your car. They should be adjusted so you have no blind-spots, which means pretty far out into the lanes on either side of you.

The only time headlights from a vehicle should cause a light issue is as they pass you on the left, not when they're behind you. A vehicle behind you should not cause any light issues at all.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The auto dimming feature of the rear view mirror makes no sense when it auto dims at night, making what is already dark behind the car darker...
It's supposed to be darker.

You can't see in the dark with lights shining in your eyes, it destroys your night-vision.

FWIW, this is also the reason for dimmers on your dash/console lights. The idea is to have the inside of the car as dark as possible, so you can see at night.

Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Here is another way to think about your mirrors. Pretend that your side mirrors and your rear view mirror are actually one big elongated mirror. Whatever exits your field of vision from the rearview mirror should be entering into your field of vision on the side mirror.

If you see the same objects behind you in more than one mirror at the same time then they're adjusted incorrectly. I always get a kick out of being behind someone at a stoplight and seeing their face reflected in their side mirror.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
You don't need a point of reference when you have them adjusted properly. If you see a car in the mirror, you can't move over, if you see no car in the mirror and no car out the window, you can move over. You don't need to know exactly where the car is in relation to your car, all you need to know is if it is safe to move over.

That being said, it is getting harder and harder to adjust mirrors in modern cars to eliminate blind spots. If the 3rd row head rests are up in our Explorer, I have to rely on the blind spot monitoring system because there is no way to adjust the mirror to cover all the area blocked by the head rests and D pillars.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Yeah, auto-dimming side mirrors is possibly the luxury feature I miss most about my old 2007 Lexus IS350. I can't believe even as an option, that feature hasn't yet trickled down to a car like the Mustang.

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If you adjust the mirrors correctly, you won't be seeing the car directly behind you just saying because they would be next to you in your bind spot when you see the headlights and usually the brightness of the headlights are pretty low at that angle (usually around 45 degrees).
You need to overlap the rear view mirror and the side mirrors just a bit. If you can see directly behind you in the door mirrors you have them adjusted too narrow.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots
It amazes me how 99% of people don't do this. Why on earth do you need 3 angles of the back of your car?!?!? It's no wonder why someone tries to merge into me at least once a month.
Sponsored