Sponsored

question about spacers

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
before i ask heres my setup. i currently have a set of velgen vmb7, fronts are 20x9 wrapped in 255/35/20, and rears are 20x10.5 with 305/30/20. the car is lowered on sport lines. while im happy with my wheels i wish the offset was a little more aggressive so in order to fix that im planning on buying a set of 15mm spacers for the rear, and 25mm spacers for the front. so that they all sit the same as if i were to run a squared set up of 10.5 wheel with a 30 offset stance wise. heres my question is this even remotely a good idea? will there be any negative side effects? i dont track my car, or race. its basically my daily driver, and cruiser occasionally drive it hard on an empty road. also any suggestions on which spacers to buy?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
How did you determine the size of the adapters/spacers desired? I have an EB PP and use 25mm all around and thought it would be the same for all. That's definitely not the case. If I were you, the first thing I'd do is measure how much further out you'd like the wheels to come.

Let's assume you already did that and those are the correct sizes. I'm not familiar with the Velgen VMB7 wheels but they will need to have a pocket on the back of the wheels to go over the stock lugs. You'd definitely want to use wheel adapters rather than spacers at 25mm. For the rear, 15mm may likely be a spacer, if so, you're definitely going to need longer studs. If they are wheel adapters, you'll have to either cut them down quite a bit or use shorter studs.

OP
OP

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
How did you determine the size of the adapters/spacers desired? I have an EB PP and use 25mm all around and thought it would be the same for all. That's definitely not the case. If I were you, the first thing I'd do is measure how much further out you'd like the wheels to come.

Let's assume you already did that and those are the correct sizes. I'm not familiar with the Velgen VMB7 wheels but they will need to have a pocket on the back of the wheels to go over the stock lugs. You'd definitely want to use wheel adapters rather than spacers at 25mm. For the rear, 15mm may likely be a spacer, if so, you're definitely going to need longer studs. If they are wheel adapters, you'll have to either cut them down quite a bit or use shorter studs.
i used this calculator https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator . i simply input my current wheels specs (velgens), and input in this case the specs for the dimensions i want (10.5 with a 30 offset) and it calculates how much more clearance ill have on the inside, and how much more the new wheel would stick out. which gave me 25mm for the front and 15mm for the rears. all of that sounds very complicated. i thought it was as simple as just add the spacer and be done with it.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Unfortunately not. Mine were very easy as I was able to use 25mm adapters all the way around and the stock wheels have 5mm pockets on the back of the wheels to cover the stock lugs.

A trick that [MENTION=22246]Fordever[/MENTION] here used is put a 2x4 vertical against the fender and measure from the wheel/tire to the 2x4. If you did that, it would give you a great idea how much more offset you need. The calculator is nice if you already know where you need to get to. You still have the pain with the lugs after that though. That's one of the reasons I really like the MRR M600s listed in the sticky at the top of this section. MRR makes the wheels specifically for the Mustang so the offset will be nice.
Sponsored