OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Could be that OP wants to determine just how die-hard he really is at this point in time (and AT development). Where he stands between not MT die-hard at all and very much so. Some responses will be more serious or extreme than others.

I won't even buy a "family car" with AT, but I do understand that most other peoples' attitudes are a good bit less extreme. Meaning that this isn't an all-or-nothing matter but a spectrum with many points in between.

Norm
Agreeded and only he can determine which is best for him. So in the end. He gets 300 posts of what's best for other people. I've owned many manuals in the last 33 years of driving. I don't find it to be a zen like experience. Doesn't mean anything. Some people can eat a cheese burger. And turn it into a zen like experience. I liken this thread. To posting a should I get a Mustang or Camaro thread. Then posting it on both forums. Opinions are great. But in the end the OP is stuck making the payment.:shrug:
I'm really just looking to find anyone who might be in the same position as me which is always having a manual in a sports car but considering this new 10 spd auto given all of the advantages.

I have really been thinking about it a lot lately and while before i would never ever even consider the auto as an option i might have to drive both this time around before making the call.

:cheers:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I have really been thinking about it a lot lately and while before i would never ever even consider the auto as an option i might have to drive both this time around before making the call.

:cheers:
Brilliant.

Sponsored

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
A few of us over in the Brit section believe that the majority of the crashes on wet roads in the UK could be down to the auto box.

Just too easy to put down the power and then get surprised when the back goes or the box downshifts just when you don't need it.

With the manual you have to work at it and can really feel what the car is doing.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
A few of us over in the Brit section believe that the majority of the crashes on wet roads in the UK could be down to the auto box.

Just too easy to put down the power and then get surprised when the back goes or the box downshifts just when you don't need it.

With the manual you have to work at it and can really feel what the car is doing.
You really believe the automatic transmissions are causing accidents???:rolleyes:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote Red in sport mode

Hey Bluebeast, I can attest to an auto w/paddles giving 1st. time users a problem as they have a "learning curve" just like a manual. I am currently a "student" of the Formula 1 shift school and it's interesting to say the least. I've owned a Toyota Celica w/5 speed and it was a learning curve, but this 6 speed auto is a different beast. When turning left onto a two lane hwy from a stop in slick conditions I can powerslide as I shift from 1st to 2nd and hold the slide thru 2nd to 3rd paddle shift. The position of the paddles take getting use to as well. Happy paddling!
tn_DSCN1286.JPG
tn_DSCN1288.JPG
tn_DSCN1277.JPG
tn_DSCN1293.JPG

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Hey Bluebeast, I can attest to an auto w/paddles giving 1st. time users a problem as they have a "learning curve" just like a manual. I am currently a "student" of the Formula 1 shift school and it's interesting to say the least. I've owned a Toyota Celica w/5 speed and it was a learning curve, but this 6 speed auto is a different beast. When turning left onto a two lane hwy from a stop in slick conditions I can powerslide as I shift from 1st to 2nd and hold the slide thru 2nd to 3rd paddle shift. The position of the paddles take getting use to as well. Happy paddling!
Why would anyone use the paddle shifters in the rain on a public road? Leave it in drive. Turn Rain and snow mode on. Cricis averted. Some of the stuff I've read on this thread boarders on nonsensical. Again if you want a manual. Buy one. Same goes for the automatic. But anyone that's wrecking an automatic just because the roads are wet. Shouldn't be on public roads to be gain with.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Perhaps not directly.

But I know I would not appreciate an overly eager AT tendency to downshift when in full-automatic mode - wouldn't want the surprise factor while cornering even if the downshift itself was smooth enough.

The alternative would be having to make a basic change in the way I drive all the time to coasting/cruising at constant speed through the turns to avoid downshifts. If you're coming from the sports car side, you're perhaps hard-wired to be squeezing (gently/very gently if wet/worse) into the throttle from the apex on out. A change like this could be more difficult than you imagine, muscle memory being what it is.

I do think an argument can be made that eliminating the 'burden' of having to do the shifting allows the driver to become just a bit more remote from what's happening down at the contact patches. Doesn't mean this has to happen, just that it can (and I'll let typical human nature take it from there).

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why would anyone use the paddle shifters in the rain on a public road? Leave it in drive. Turn Rain and snow mode on. Cricis averted. Some of the stuff I've read on this thread boarders on nonsensical. Again if you want a manual. Buy one. Same goes for the automatic. But anyone that's wrecking an automatic just because the roads are wet. Shouldn't be on public roads to be gain with.
Same reason they'd shift a MT in the rain on a public road. You want the next gear.

Not everybody has this 'just slap it in D and go' mindset. About a month ago I drove another family member's AT car, which had both paddles and the +/- lever control over manually commanded shifting. There just isn't any way I'd ever leave that AT to its own devices, not even if it had double the power it has, and it's reasonably peppy with the power it has now. And I'd pick the +/- method over the paddles every time.

Norm

Last edited:

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I'm really just looking to find anyone who might be in the same position as me which is always having a manual in a sports car but considering this new 10 spd auto given all of the advantages.
What advantages?
Really, what advantages?
You either like shifting for yourself or you don't...seems simple to me.:confused:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
What advantages?
Really, what advantages?
You either like shifting for yourself or you don't...seems simple to me.:confused:
Faster, better fuel economy would be two of the major advantages.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

A manual requires more skill than an auto obviously, but it also helps the driver understand the driving dynamics of the vehicle which in turn may lead to a higher level of intelligence? Or maybe the manual drivers are just too damn drunk to change gears when leaving the pub and therefor never drive at speeds greater than 20 kilo per hour.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Same reason they'd shift a MT in the rain on a public road. You want the next gear.

Not everybody has this 'just slap it in D and go' mindset. About a month ago I drove another family member's AT car, which had both paddles and the +/- lever control over manually commanded shifting. There just isn't any way I'd ever leave that AT to its own devices, not even if it had double the power it has, and it's reasonably peppy with the power it has now. And I'd pick the +/- method over the paddles every time.

Norm
Using the paddle shifters in the rain is no different than a manual really. Keep it in a higher gear to limit the slip. I personally hate the paddle shifters and prefer the slap stick model over paddles. It gives a more manual feel IMO. I hate to admit it but our 2017 Santa Fe Turbo has a better manual shifting transmission than the Mustang.
Sponsored