Sponsored

Please Educate Me - Why No Spoiler On Performance Pack?

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
FWIW I added a bigger spoiler on my Jaguar XKR without changing the splitter and ended up with a floatier front end. It was very annoying at highway speeds making the front feel unstable and less planted.
Yep. I experience as similar problem with one of my past cars. It wasn't problematic until about 130 mph, but I removed the larger spoiler as the faster I went the lighter the car felt. My plan was to add a front ground effect too, but never got around to it, so just sold the larger spoiler.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah I brought that up on the second page but apparently these grown-ass men want to have a pointless dick-wagging semantics argument and be shit to one another without anyone showing any real intelligence.
FWIW, the matter of aerodynamic balance was either mentioned or implied several times before your entry into this thread. One of my posts was one of them.

Different people need clarification in different words, what 'clicks' for one of us may not for another.

Norm

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
IOW, Lift - CarWeight = ΣTireLoads = 0

I think we're saying the same thing here :thumbsup:

I've never worked with aircraft aero topics, so I assume that car speeds are always lower than any take-off speed (certainly for my own driving, occasional LeMans incidents involving flight notwithstanding).

Otherwise ΣTireLoads = 0 and a nonzero sum of the other two forces would cause a net Z-axis acceleration one way or the other.

Don't have that one in my library, might be useful. Source?

Norm
Fixed your equation, but otherwise you're correct.

Link to book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0837...+gearheads&dpPl=1&dpID=51+IIPzRWuL&ref=plSrch

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
Until the S550 showed up. The Mustang was running around with a solid axle. It's not like the S550 is loaded with F1 technology. My point was all professional racing. Weather it be Top fuel drag racing or F1 all spend countless hours testing and advancing their craft. Because you prefer F1. Doesn't make it the king of motor sports. There is just as much science in drag racing trying to harness 8000HP. As there is in rally racing setting up a car to run on dirt. To Nascar using old school technology to lap a track 500 times at 160MPH. It's a disservice to all other racing branches to arbitrarily call F1 king!
I am assuming what he means by his statement is that, the reason why F1 is/was the pinnacle of motorsport was because of their innovative technologies which then trickles down into your everyday road cars. Technologies like active suspension, DCT, KERS, TCS, carbon fiber etc were first introduced in F-1 cars and then brought down in the everyday road cars. There is definitely a good amount of engineering that goes into it but not nearly to the level of F-1. F-1 has changed alot in the past 20 years. I dont know how much NASCAR or drag racing has changed.
This.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
At the risk of nit-picking, shouldn't the proper equation be: Lift - CarWeight + ΣTireLoads = 0
?
I'm interpreting ΣTireLoads as the force being supported by the tires, which would be equal to lift - car weight. This is of course negating sprung vs. unsprung weight, because that just makes things unnecessarily complicated for my lazy self. :p

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interpreting ΣTireLoads as the force being supported by the tires, which would be equal to lift - car weight. This is of course negating sprung vs. unsprung weight, because that just makes things unnecessarily complicated for my lazy self. :p
Gotcha, but the problem I saw was you equated the total tire load (normal force) to zero. One too many equals signs.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
"Common folk" don't know the difference between a pseudo-force and a true force.

Draw a free body diagram to see the external forces actually affecting the car.

Spoilers reduce lift, but they do not create a downward force. They allow the weight of the car to have a greater effect on the net forces in play, but there is no extra downward pointing arrow in the free body diagram to model "downforce."

An airfoil does create this additional force by the method I mentioned before.

You don't have to agree with me, but the great part about Physics is that it doesn't care about your opinion.
So by this theory, almost every race car that has a wing on the back but only a spoiler/splitter up front has broken areo. You know, virtually ever racecar thats not a formula car.

Or maybe increasing the pressure above the body can generate downforce too.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
thats what underbody aero is for. It is the most desireable aero because it adds downforce without adding drag

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, but the problem I saw was you equated the total tire load (normal force) to zero. One too many equals signs.
It would equal zero because there is no acceleration in the z-direction, meaning the net forces all balance out. This doesn't mean that the normal force is equal to zero, just that the car hasn't achieved lift-off, and isn't drilling into the earth. It does mean, though, that if you decrease lift, the weight of the car is more able to contribute to the normal force, thereby increasing friction.

Again, at this point we're very likely to just be nitpicking things. I think we both know what the big picture is, which is what's important.

EDIT: I get what you're saying now. Proper equation is F = ma = lift + normal - weight = 0. If that's what you meant by your statement, you're correct.

So by this theory, almost every race car that has a wing on the back but only a spoiler/splitter up front has broken areo. You know, virtually ever racecar thats not a formula car.

Or maybe increasing the pressure above the body can generate downforce too.
Again, splitters do not generate a force, only wings do. A front splitter alone could work by disallowing some air to go under the car, ultimately reducing lift.

However, a properly designed front splitter, in conjunction with ground effects, does generate downforce using Bernoulli's Principle. Lower air pressure under the car relative to ambient will generate downforce, but again, a splitter alone cannot do this.

Basically, it's the difference between picking a pebble up and dropping it down the vacuum hose, letting it fall under it's own weight (which is a force, by the way) vs. actually sucking it up with the vacuum. You're achieving the same end result, one method is just more efficient at doing it.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Splitters absolutely generate downforce by creating a high pressure on the top of the splitter due to the high pressure area in front of the car. Splitters with integrated diffusers take that a step further.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At the risk of nit-picking, shouldn't the proper equation be: Lift - CarWeight + ΣTireLoads = 0
?
Not if you consider the forces as being 'signed'. Whether you prefer + = up or + = down shouldn't matter for this discussion as long as consistency is maintained.

Picky would have been if I'd written it in the most general sense where ΣF = m*a

Lift + CarWeight + ΣTireLoads = m*az

Here's where considering sprung mass vs total mass comes into play; under any condition where ΣTireLoads = 0, m = total mass, where ΣTireLoads > 0, m = sprung mass. Makes for a small nonlinearity (and I bet this can be felt in an airplane the instant the tires leave the pavement).

M M - thanks for the link to the book.

Any change in aero lift (up or down) brings with it a change in "induced drag". I'm betting that this is involved in how a spoiler actually accomplishes aero drag reduction.

Norm

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would equal zero because there is no acceleration in the z-direction, meaning the net forces all balance out. This doesn't mean that the normal force is equal to zero, just that the car hasn't achieved lift-off, and isn't drilling into the earth.
Yeah, I understand that. That was exactly my point. Your equation didn't balance out. You had an extra "=" (typo?), indicating that normal force = 0.

EDIT: I get what you're saying now. Proper equation is F = ma = lift + normal - weight = 0. If that's what you meant by your statement, you're correct.
Yup. :)

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not if you consider the forces as being 'signed'. Whether you prefer + = up or + = down shouldn't matter for this discussion as long as consistency is maintained.

Picky would have been if I'd written it in the most general sense where ΣF = m*a

Lift + CarWeight + ΣTireLoads = m*az
I was actually referring to Muff's revised equation. If you take another look at it there is an extra "=" (probably a typo) which states that the normal force (tire load) = 0 under any circumstances, which is incorrect (except in the unlikely hypothetical circumstance that your total lift was exactly equal to the car's weight and was distributed in the same fashion).

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Eh, sit and debate all you want. On the back straight of COTA I wound 5th gear all the way out and attempted to keep going in 6th but that was useless lol. Ended up somewhere north of 145-150ish. There was no signs of float or instability with the GT PP stock aero. Hell, I coulda brought a book and done some light reading on that straight.
Sponsored