Sponsored

engine tick question

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
That sounds like possibly someone started the car dry and forgot the oil for a moment, I would not see any other reason why just a simple oil change especially with only 2k miles on the oil to magically start knocking. I am very leery of using the dealer for any minor stuff.
It is just like the BBQ tick everyone reported it after the 1st oil change happened. maybe an additive ford put in the oil from the factory?
Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
It is just like the BBQ tick everyone reported it after the 1st oil change happened. maybe an additive ford put in the oil from the factory?
I highly doubt it because it would have had to been added during the dealer pdi at certain dealers add there own additive such as zmax or others and then charge extra on the window sticker. But ford has stated in the past that from the factory ford only uses motorcraft oil and use no break in additives. Even when they service cars some dealers push additives of there own not made by ford to make more money. I know because I used to work at a ford dealer and had to use the oil additives and coolant etc. I would always notify the customer as a tech, and tell them that it is not necessary and that it's a 3rd party not working with ford.

BOBS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Auto Race Red
Any updates on your engine noise.. same problem here at 1,900 miles:frusty::frusty:

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I had probably the first reported BBQ tick, sadly. I think what did me in was a combination of things. One being engine tolerances during the machine of each individual part and also going full synthetic on my first oil change. Even though FORD did the change and the full syn is acceptable per their spec, I think its too thin for these young motors.

I now have my replacement car and is about to roll 1800 miles. I planned on getting the oil changed at 2000 and rightfully so am shaking in my boots for the event to happen.

Stay with the syn blend, 5w-20.

5.0freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto
Had my first oil change done at the dealer since it was free i believe they used the 5w-20 synthetic blend and i had no issues after that. Currently sitting at just above 7500 miles going to get my next oil change pretty soon. Wondering if i should go full synthetic or synthetic blend?

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
LOL BBQ tick. This still exists? You guys must believe in Snake Oil too. This has been a thing since the day the first guy changed his oil in 2010 in the first coyote when it was the first time put his head down by the engine. Then ''right after I changed my oil I got a tick". Then the next guy goes "oh now I'm paranoid about getting the tick, should I wait to change my oil". Then they call Ford and Ford says change the oil every 10k miles and the conspiracy theories start to fly. Then Everyone has the BBQ tick after one guy has it b/c of some special additive Ford did and synthetic oil and if you change it before 10k miles the engine starts ticking like a sewing machine and needs a new short block.

The AC belt has been known to cause a ticking sound, but there is always a handful of guys on the forum that make 75% of the others paranoid. Then they go check their engine and "oh I have the tick too" better take it to Ford and then when the dealer doesn't just bend over and say here you go, here is a brand new car and we'll buy back your old one then it's rant city until they get something, or trade it for another car b/c this is normal operation.

I highly doubt your guys cars have anything wrong. It's a very sophisticated engine with a lot of drive train noise to begin with. I changed my factory oil on my 2012 at about 3k miles for Mobil 1 and it's ran that ever since. If I really listen on the passenger side I can hear a tick. It's always been there. It also ran 12.30 last fall on all season tires so I don't think there is anything wrong and it's 5 year old car with 65k. IMO people just get WAAAAAY too paranoid when one person says their car has a tick
Sponsored