Sponsored

NEW...Pilot Sport 4 S

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I got 305/30/20 and 255/35/20 on order through tire rack. Can't wait to get them in. I went with the 255 in the front because the 305/30/20 is a ~27 inch diameter tire, whereas the 275/35 or 285/35 would be about 27.5 inch. While it's a slight difference, but a larger diameter front tire would look a little off.
This is why I went 285/35 front and 295/35 rear to give the car a little more tire wall in the rear. :)
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Ahh ok. I misread. Unfortunately those sizes aren't available in the US yet, otherwise I would've picked those up.

Most of the size available right now are 30 profile in the 20 inch category.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
For those of you that have these tires and have had MPSS', do the new tires have stiffer sidewalls? That was the primary reason I went with RE11s over the MPSS', that being the only real complaint from the MPSS' from a performance standpoint was it having a softer sidewall.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those of you that have these tires and have had MPSS', do the new tires have stiffer sidewalls? That was the primary reason I went with RE11s over the MPSS', that being the only real complaint from the MPSS' from a performance standpoint was it having a softer sidewall.

PS4S has a similar sidewall, in none lateral acceleration such as cruising if anything its marginally softer, but marginal, it is certainly not stiffer.

However lateral acceleration and steering input the tyre wall uses some new technology which means under extreme handling it maintains its shape better resulting in more direct turn in compared to MPSS, in short when you drive hard this tyre feels harder and sporty, when you just cruise it feels just like MPSS and maybe even a touch softer.

I really like them from a comfort perspective. :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there

I just went out for a lunch break 50 mile drive, I nearly crashed! :lol:

The road was drying but was in that greasy stage and because the rear was putting power down and gripping so well I got over-confident, went to take a 40mph sharp corner in the wet at that speed in the greasy stage, should of being going slower but I was getting a false sense of security from the rear in such greasy/wet conditions.

What happened next is I smoothly turned in to feel a very light front-end the car was not turning in as expected and was understeering, thankfully as my speed was only marginally to high some gentle trail braking and taking out some steering lock got me around the corner but I was close to the grass banking then I transitioned to full power relying on rear grip and it just gripped.

The grip level difference in damp/greasy conditions is quite remarkable to the point the front-end understeers like a pig now on the limit in such conditions.

In the dry she feels OK, on my return trip 12c, dry sections of roads, so did a few 1st gear and it just goes, even on the dusty gritted roads but in dry/damp I cannot break traction in 1st gear, but in fairness the MPSS were pretty epic as well for this on the road but still impressive grip.

Fronts just arrived (hence trip home), they feel heavier, so the rear Ferrari tyre is lighter by some kind of voodoo magic but that is to feel, no scientific weighing has happened but they felt heavier to me and the tyre fitter.

We measured tread and it was 7.3mm on the 285/35/20 fronts compared to the 6.9mm on the rear Ferrari tyres, so nothing to worry about.

Fronts go on in the morning as XJK are rammed full with cars so doing an 8am fitment.

So far damp/grease grip is mind blowing in comparison but on the flip side they feel softer so more compliant and are really so damn quiet, there is no more tyre roar from the rear, it just comes from front axle now.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I won't run 19's or twenty's, 18's give me a gear advantage I won't relinquish.

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
I won't run 19's or twenty's, 18's give me a gear advantage I won't relinquish.
What size tire do you use? Chances are that the MP4S will be offered in 18" soon. I'm also looking forward to going with a shorter tire... For myself, I'll be going from the stock GTPP 275/40R19 27.7" diameter to a 325/30R19 26.7" diameter.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Tire Rack already lists one 18" size (245/40-18, way too small for any of us), so there's at least a little reason to have hope.

Norm

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fronts fitted:

No stretched look or rubbing so far.

Though when I put lock on there is only a finger height gap between tyre and fender, anyone else running this low with 20 and wide rubber up front had any issues with tire catching the fender?

Also I think a 295 in the front would rub the arch liners for sure as now it practically touches on full lock, so 295 tyre would like rub.

Just hoping when carving the corners up the front wheels won't catch the fender though I think there are people running even lower than me.

No comments on handling other than the rears still seem a touch greasy nearly 100 miles later and they do not seem to switch on as easily as MPSS did.

The garage said not to worry, time of year and some tires can take a lot longer than others to fully bed in from new.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Side shot

Side shot!

Stance is pretty much on point, PS4S tyre is darker for sure with the velvet wall business.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
OMG... once again, I want the damn metal window trim! This rubber poop on my US car is so cheapy looking.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Fronts fitted:

No stretched look or rubbing so far.

Though when I put lock on there is only a finger height gap between tyre and fender, anyone else running this low with 20 and wide rubber up front had any issues with tire catching the fender?

Also I think a 295 in the front would rub the arch liners for sure as now it practically touches on full lock, so 295 tyre would like rub.

Just hoping when carving the corners up the front wheels won't catch the fender though I think there are people running even lower than me.

No comments on handling other than the rears still seem a touch greasy nearly 100 miles later and they do not seem to switch on as easily as MPSS did.

The garage said not to worry, time of year and some tires can take a lot longer than others to fully bed in from new.
Depends on the offset of your wheel mostly. I can run a 285 up front with any wheel I have right now. A 5mm spacer and track camber, I can run a 305 square on my Rays wheels. I could run a 295 on the rays wheels with no spacer but we're talking... 1-2mm of clearance from the strut - not enough.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there

WOW WOW, fucking WOW!

OK they like warmer temps, roads mainly dry, some damp/greasy patches but the grip was totally bonkers from both axles.

Car is not understeering, also these tyres are not like MPSS which would grip grip grip and then that grip would progressively go and you were going real quick, but the feedback was good.

On these it is like they grip grip then start to lose traction a bit but you push a bit more and they re-grip and then your going just a quick, car just moves around a bit more, well your going quicker actually, though subjective feedback does not feel any better than MPSS.

The fronts have turned on much quicker than the rears as same corners and roundabouts where the car was trying to push wide, it is now neutral and going faster.

I think in Summer dry and wet they will be like shit to a blanket literally, they really seem to like temperature.

I need to see how they perform on next cold morning as they do seem to have a trait of the Pzero which is for first few corners they are lacking grip, don't take heat like MPSS did, not quite as bad as Pzero, but MPSS were awesome as I could just drive out my drive on a cold morning with no wheel spin.

On the Pzero even easing the clutch up span wheels with no throttle due to drive way angle and even reversing on drive when getting home they could spin if I was a little to eager. On the MPSS they never wheelspan, whereas the PS4S does, but maybe they still have a touch of grease in them.

But after 150 miles the rears seem to finally be settling, the fronts seem to have come alive just after 50 miles, could be compound difference between regular and K1 tyre. Or could be fact K1's were made March last year and the fronts were made last September so fresher.

The tyre fitters were like WTF your car is squeaking like crazy as turning out of their work shop, the tyres were literally sticking to their work shop surface.

Also another down point, the car is spraying stones and dirt up into the wheel arches, so much noise when pushing on, they fling everything up, so splash guards are a real must as these things are like following a gritter.

Back to comfort and noise though, oh my god, the added compliance into the chassis and the car is utterly silent at motorway speeds, at 40mph you can hear the road as you can in pretty much any car if you coast, but at higher speeds with over 1500rpm silence apart from engine soundtrack.

I do love how much comfort and NVH reduction they have had on the car, league apart from the MPSS on that, the Pzero were pretty quiet too, but these are even quieter.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
No 315/35/20?! :(

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
No 315/35/20?! :(
As all new tires, their not bringing all the sizes in at once, same with the 305/35/19 sizing as well. But those will come out shortly im certain of it.
Sponsored