Sponsored

6r80 transmission TUNING questions (adjusting shift points and firmness)

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Thank you, that's definitely helpful.

Just as a minor follow up: even though he sent me a new file for lowered shift pressure, I ended up staying on the previous map. At least for now.

This morning the car felt completely normal/smooth. Nothing was changed. Temp showed 48F on the thermo. Yesterday, same weather, same tune, upon warmup the shifts were really hard. So now I'm completely confused lol, because it seems to just get smoother whenever it feels like it. I'll start monitoring/logging any transmission PID's I can find on the nGauge and see if I notice any patterns.
I think the only ones you will find are under diagnostics> data logging.
SSA, SSB, SSC, SSD, SSE. ate the clutch pressures.
Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ask for a stock transmission tune. I run this when the hard shifts annoy me. Same power increases but they use the OEM transmission tune so it's like stock.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I had the same 1-2, and 2-3 violent shifts. took 2 revisions, but Greg @ Lund got it settled out. Even makes them softer yet when in rain/ice mode. No clue what was done tho, but it returns to much firmer shifts at WOT. The tune file name that fixed it is called trq_truncoff if that helps. The adaptive transmission learning settles it down some with time as well.
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to resurrect it because of something I noticed in your post.

If I can make an inference from the tune file name you posted - I think that may mean "torque truncation off". Just a guess.

If this is right, this might confirm my theory about the torque limiting that's in the stock tune and that reduction in the torque limiting may have a significant effect on the 6R80 shifting besides just the overall shift pressure. There was a post from Livernois a few weeks back that talked about how torque limiting is in effect during shifts. Probably to minimize wheel spin inbetween shifts and/or reduce stresses on the trans if you've still got throttle down.

I suspect the auto tunes that Lund sends out has a firmer shift pressure vs. stock plus a reduction of the torque limiting vs. stock which only increases the "hardness" of the shift into the next gear. This torque would have otherwise been held back in the stock tune. This might also explain why some have reported smooth shifts at lower rpms when they take their foot off the throttle for a brieft moment prior to hitting the paddle.

It could be that the reduction of the torque limiting has an unintended effect of making the shifts even firmer. This might explain why me and some others have asked Lund to reduce the shift pressure, only to find they preferred it the way it was before.

Anyway, this is all pure speculation and I don't have any facts to backup this theory LOL. But I feel like there are a lot things in these tunes that the consumer is unaware of and it just interests me to find out more about how it works.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to resurrect it because of something I noticed in your post.

If I can make an inference from the tune file name you posted - I think that may mean "torque truncation off". Just a guess.

If this is right, this might confirm my theory about the torque limiting that's in the stock tune and that reduction in the torque limiting may have a significant effect on the 6R80 shifting besides just the overall shift pressure. There was a post from Livernois a few weeks back that talked about how torque limiting is in effect during shifts. Probably to minimize wheel spin inbetween shifts and/or reduce stresses on the trans if you've still got throttle down.

I suspect the auto tunes that Lund sends out has a firmer shift pressure vs. stock plus a reduction of the torque limiting vs. stock which only increases the "hardness" of the shift into the next gear. This torque would have otherwise been held back in the stock tune. This might also explain why some have reported smooth shifts at lower rpms when they take their foot off the throttle for a brieft moment prior to hitting the paddle.

It could be that the reduction of the torque limiting has an unintended effect of making the shifts even firmer. This might explain why me and some others have asked Lund to reduce the shift pressure, only to find they preferred it the way it was before.

Anyway, this is all pure speculation and I don't have any facts to backup this theory LOL. But I feel like there are a lot things in these tunes that the consumer is unaware of and it just interests me to find out more about how it works.
exactly correct. goes hand in hand with shift anticipation logic too.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
exactly correct. goes hand in hand with shift anticipation logic too.
Thank you Jay-rod. I'd be interested to hear more about this shift anticipation logic. I don't believe I heard that term used before?
Thanks for your post btw. It's helping me understand better.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Thank you Jay-rod. I'd be interested to hear more about this shift anticipation logic. I don't believe I heard that term used before?
Thanks for your post btw. It's helping me understand better.
The computer anticipates an upcoming shift and adjusts the torque, converter lockup, etc before the shift actually happens since the delay in signal, and solenoids doing their thing. Each higher gear has a shorter anticipation schedule as it's revving slower at that point.

For example the 1-2 shift lund wants at say 7,400 rpm they set the shift point at 7,200. Then by the time it actually shifts the engine has acclerated to 7,400. just random made up numbers btw.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The computer anticipates an upcoming shift and adjusts the torque, converter lockup, etc before the shift actually happens since the delay in signal, and solenoids doing their thing. Each higher gear has a shorter anticipation schedule as it's revving slower at that point.

For example the 1-2 shift lund wants at say 7,400 rpm they set the shift point at 7,200. Then by the time it actually shifts the engine has acclerated to 7,400. just random made up numbers btw.
Very cool. This might explain the apparent delay in the shift response inherent of the stock tune. I assume this anticipation only works when the PCM is being told to shift on its own rather than when the driver is commanding it with the paddle shifter, no? Because let's say I am at 6500 rpm and I hit the paddle, I don't see how it could anticipate when I am going to do so.

I drive 99% of the time using the paddle shifters in manual S mode.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Very cool. This might explain the apparent delay in the shift response inherent of the stock tune. I assume this anticipation only works when the PCM is being told to shift on its own rather than when the driver is commanding it with the paddle shifter, no? Because let's say I am at 6500 rpm and I hit the paddle, I don't see how it could anticipate when I am going to do so.

I drive 99% of the time using the paddle shifters in manual S mode.
Even the paddles have a slight delay to allow the adjustments.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Even the paddles have a slight delay to allow the adjustments.
This is interesting. Thanks.

Hey if you ever encountered this... at lower speed you hit the paddle to downshift into 2nd and there is like a second of delay? Maybe the PCM gets confused whether or not to lock up the converter? It didn't do on my first Lund tune but on my revision with lowered shift pressure it has done it on two occasions.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
This is interesting. Thanks.

Hey if you ever encountered this... at lower speed you hit the paddle to downshift into 2nd and there is like a second of delay? Maybe the PCM gets confused whether or not to lock up the converter? It didn't do on my first Lund tune but on my revision with lowered shift pressure it has done it on two occasions.
:lipssealed: can't say. I very rarely use the paddles. Absolutely hate sport mode. Between the rev match downshifting, and the totally different converter lockup schedule I hate it.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
:lipssealed: can't say. I very rarely use the paddles. Absolutely hate sport mode. Between the rev match downshifting, and the totally different converter lockup schedule I hate it.
Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the info man!

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I'm AED tuned and he's removed the Rev match downshifting in my tune for all modes. The only time it will ever Rev match downshift is if I'm in paddle mode and i tell it to.

Shaun really makes the 6R80 magical and that's an understatement. When I first got the car I hated the transmission and thought about selling the car because of it. Then I got a livernois tune and the transmission was better but still had some annoying quirks to it.

With AED there isn't any quirkyness or weird issues from the start. The only thing left that I hated was the automatic Rev matching torque converter lockup bs. I asked Shaun if he could remove that and simple as that it was done and done.

Just a though if you have an x4 and are tired of playing games with the auto and how it operates.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I'm AED tuned and he's removed the Rev match downshifting in my tune for all modes. The only time it will ever Rev match downshift is if I'm in paddle mode and i tell it to.

Shaun really makes the 6R80 magical and that's an understatement. When I first got the car I hated the transmission and thought about selling the car because of it. Then I got a livernois tune and the transmission was better but still had some annoying quirks to it.

With AED there isn't any quirkyness or weird issues from the start. The only thing left that I hated was the automatic Rev matching torque converter lockup bs. I asked Shaun if he could remove that and simple as that it was done and done.

Just a though if you have an x4 and are tired of playing games with the auto and how it operates.
Ya when I have Lund do the blower tune soon I'm going to see what he can do with the trans schedules and such.
Sponsored