Sponsored

Smell of oil on cold start and weird clicking noise

Zefmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
Hey everyone, I have a Bone Stock 2015 v6 mustang, I've noticed recently that on a cold start, I have this strong smell of oil coming from the bottom of the car and also from the exhaust tips.

I also have this weird clicking noise(sounds like when you put something in front of fan blades) that happens after the car has been driven for a little/warmed up. It doesn't seem to be something with Engine because it seems like the faster I got, the faster the noise gets and in the video in the end i start breaking and the noise slows down.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]RzBPli__y3g[/MEDIA]"]

EDIT: Also I know this may sound weird but has anyone noticed their speedometer to be a little off at certain speeds from what cruise control says? like cruise control says 70 but the speedo is at like 65.

Any input from you guys would be great. The funny thing is I have had the clicking noise for a while and I took it to my dealer and they said they "can't hear anything and that i shouldn't worry about unless it get's louder". which really annoys me so that's why I am going to take it to another dealership sometime next week.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Either a leak or something. Hows your oil level?

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Clicking noises that go as the car goes tend to be associated with things that move faster as the car does. Did you check your tires for rocks or other possible things sticking in the tires? Otherwise it might be something to do with the belt.

How many miles are on it? If it's brand new then it's probably just some excess oils/greases burning off. Or if the oil was recently changed there might be some sitting on the shield cooking off. The engine shouldn't be blowing oil on a cold start unless you rev the hell out of it.

Didn't really hear much in the video.

OP
OP
Zefmeister

Zefmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
Either a leak or something. Hows your oil level?
oil level is great honestly, i had the oil changed at 7k miles and now im at 11.5k and the oil is just a little under full. Also i dont see any oil residue on the engine so doesn't seem like a leak.

OP
OP
Zefmeister

Zefmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
Clicking noises that go as the car goes tend to be associated with things that move faster as the car does. Did you check your tires for rocks or other possible things sticking in the tires? Otherwise it might be something to do with the belt.

How many miles are on it? If it's brand new then it's probably just some excess oils/greases burning off. Or if the oil was recently changed there might be some sitting on the shield cooking off. The engine shouldn't be blowing oil on a cold start unless you rev the hell out of it.

Didn't really hear much in the video.
i haven't too be honest, i need to list the car up and check tomorrow. i dont see how it could be the belt cause the sound goes with the movement of the car not the revs. i was thinking it has something to do with the joints that connect to the tire but that doesn't add up because the sound doesn't happen straight from the beginning of a drive, it takes some driving.

the car has 11.5k miles and i had an oil change done at 7k.

so today i started up the car, didn't smell anything, drove it around a little, came home, it sat a little and then when i went to start it up again, i could smell it but not alot.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
i haven't too be honest, i need to list the car up and check tomorrow. i dont see how it could be the belt cause the sound goes with the movement of the car not the revs. i was thinking it has something to do with the joints that connect to the tire but that doesn't add up because the sound doesn't happen straight from the beginning of a drive, it takes some driving.

so today i started up the car, didn't smell anything, drove it around a little, came home, it sat a little and then when i went to start it up again, i could smell it but not alot.
Without actually hearing it, no idea other than something with the tires. Did you try driving with your windows both all the way up and then down at the same speed and see if there's a difference? If it's in the tires or something with your wheels you'll notice a difference, otherwise it's elsewhere (sure it's not in the cabin? The panel where my light switch is tends to rattle on occasion at highway speeds). You said bone stock so I'm guessing you've never taken anything apart or changed anything (like an aftermarket exhaust that you changed back to stock) so little chance of a rattle there.

As far as smell, I'm not sure if the V6s are as notorious for blowing oil through the PCV valve as the v8s are. Probably depends on how much "spirited" driving you're doing. A good thing you can try is to disconnect the PCV line from your engine and give it the good ol' finger test to see if there's oil on it. If it's fairly wet then that might be your culprit, or part of it. Can run a catch can if that's the case.

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
GTPP - just brought my car in today for a decently heavy oil smell from cold start/idling.

Valve cover gaskets were bad...dealership is replacing them.

OP
OP
Zefmeister

Zefmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
GTPP - just brought my car in today for a decently heavy oil smell from cold start/idling.

Valve cover gaskets were bad...dealership is replacing them.
Thank you for letting me know cause my dealer that I took it to told me that it was "normal". I'm planning on taking it to a different dealer this time around.
Sponsored