Sponsored

"Special Order"

JefTep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 California Special
First post here. Thanks in advance for any insight into my questions below:

My background comes from the Vintage Mustang world where the "Marti Report" is the accepted authority for verifying how '67 and newer Mustangs were built. For those unfamiliar with the Marti Report, a standard order car typically had a 2 digit DSO (District Sales Office) code and special order cars typically had a 6 digit DSO code. In many cases a special order car was special due to it having a non standard paint color.

Fast forward to current 2017 models, I have a friend who recently picked up a new California Special and the MSRP sticker contains the notation "Special Order" and the text is framed in green. There were other new California Specials on the lot that did not have a "Special Order" notation or the green border around the MSRP text. This car is Oxford White (standard color) and is equipped with several factory options that appear to be "regular" options.

My questions are, what constitutes a 2017 Special Order car and, is there a source for confirming what specific characteristic(s) make this particular car "Special Order"?
Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
First post here. Thanks in advance for any insight into my questions below:

My background comes from the Vintage Mustang world where the "Marti Report" is the accepted authority for verifying how '67 and newer Mustangs were built. For those unfamiliar with the Marti Report, a standard order car typically had a 2 digit DSO (District Sales Office) code and special order cars typically had a 6 digit DSO code. In many cases a special order car was special due to it having a non standard paint color.

Fast forward to current 2017 models, I have a friend who recently picked up a new California Special and the MSRP sticker contains the notation "Special Order" and the text is framed in green. There were other new California Specials on the lot that did not have a "Special Order" notation or the green border around the MSRP text. This car is Oxford White (standard color) and is equipped with several factory options that appear to be "regular" options.

My questions are, what constitutes a 2017 Special Order car and, is there a source for confirming what specific characteristic(s) make this particular car "Special Order"?
special order simply means its a O/T 1 order. That means the car was customized specifically by a customer and not ordered just by dealer which is o/T 2 order

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, my window sticker shows the same
I had to order it because the dealer did not have the color and options I wanted in stock. Took 10 weeks

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
yup.. thats what special order means. "O/T 1" means build custom by a customer.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
FYI... there is also a special order code 'X' that I used. The difference being that this code allows for the purchaser's name to be 'tagged' or listed under the options on the window sticker.

Sponsored

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Oh that's interesting. I never noticed that on dealer lots. I special ordered my Subaru because I couldnt find one locally that was configured how I wanted it. I don't recall seeing anything like that on the sticker

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
"Special Order" cars don't often end up on dealer lots as they are specified by a customer to purchase. This isn't just any Joe that walks in and checks some options. Intent and ability have to be present.

They end up in dealer stock if the buyer backs out for some reason or another (time, situation, &c.).

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
yup.. thats what special order means. "O/T 1" means build custom by a customer.
Yep, I wanted all the toys on mine, could have got a CS without the ACC but was offered a brilliant price on a factory build with everything i wanted. But it was ordered by a Dealer in Canada. who then got the car passed onto my importer

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I ordered my 2015 and hence the "special Order' on the window sticker. I also used my Mustang Club of America to get a discount on the car. I was told that got my name on the window sticker. I have the original window sticker saved.
window-sticker.jpg

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
I ordered my 2015 and hence the "special Order' on the window sticker. I also used my Mustang Club of America to get a discount on the car. I was told that got my name on the window sticker. I have the original window sticker saved.
Very interesting, you got a discount from belonging to the Mustang club, can I ask how much?
I belong to the Club of Great Britain and don't get anything

thanks

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Very interesting, you got a discount from belonging to the Mustang club, can I ask how much?
I belong to the Club of Great Britain and don't get anything

thanks
I think the Mustang Club of America have a little more sway than our 'iccle Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain.

There was an MCA version of the S197........I think we'll be waiting a very long time for the MOCGB version :D

MCA members effectively get X-Plan:

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My 16 GT says special order and has my name on the sticker. I have no affiliation with MCOA. I was under the impression that the dealer just specified it was a customer order (he called it retail) when he submitted the build.
Sponsored