Sponsored

Gt 5.0 vs 2017 Camaro 1LE

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Race car in that it was an old stripped down 88 Mustang GT that was not driven on the street. It was not pretty. I didn't worry about damaging it. I think those worried about economical ways to race....should consider building a race car. I don't track my SRT. I drive it aggressively, but I refuse to thrash it.
I've thought about that, but then you need a trailer and a towing rig. I have a vehicle that could serve fine as a tow vehicle, but I don't want to have to store a trailer. I have a lot of room for storage compared to many people, but I'd prefer not to sacrifice that much space in my pole barn.

I'm not planning to do any racing though. HPDEs yes, racing no.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Well said. That's what I was trying to get at as well. You don't need the stickiest tires, best brakes, most HP, etc. to have a lot of fun at a road course. I really love my GT350, but I would have been smarter to buy a GT as it is great on the road course for a lot less $$. Then I would have had more cash left over for track days.
Yep.

As guys who track bikes say, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Race car in that it was an old stripped down 88 Mustang GT that was not driven on the street. It was not pretty. I didn't worry about damaging it. I think those worried about economical ways to race....should consider building a race car. I don't track my SRT. I drive it aggressively, but I refuse to thrash it.
I can't justify the matter of a trailer either. Wouldn't fit in the garage with the race car stored on it, might not even fit without a car on it. Never mind that if said race car had any street civility at all I'd rather be able to just get in it, fire it up, and go. Can't store an unregistered/uninsured/uninspected car outside on the property.

Nor the necessary tow vehicle, no place to put that either, never mind that I wouldn't use it for much else.

Norm

Last edited:

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
So the latest head 2 head episode was between bmw m2 vs camaro v6 1le. M2 was almost 1 second faster around willow springs. V6 camaro 1le put down slower time than the gtpp as well. What surprises me was M2 and gtpp put down almost exact times on the same track. Gtpp with crappy pirelli p zeros ofcourse.

M2 Lap Time 1:24 27
Gtpp Lap Time 1:24 29
V6/1le Lap Time 1:25 19

All with best time attacks by Randy Pobst!

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Good try for the V6 1LE.. A lot of folks mainly GM were saying how the V6 1LE ran a faster time than the GTPP at lighting lap but it was one year apart!! Seriously, I'm sure it's a fine car for folks that can't afford the SS and it's only about 1 sec between the GT and M2..

I still wouldn't be caught dead in it if the GTPP is about the same or just a tad more.

[ame]

Last edited:

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
So the latest head 2 head episode was between bmw m2 vs camaro v6 1le. M2 was almost 1 second faster around willow springs. V6 camaro 1le put down slower time than the gtpp as well. What surprises me was M2 and gtpp put down almost exact times on the same track. Gtpp with crappy pirelli p zeros ofcourse.

M2 Lap Time 1:24 27
Gtpp Lap Time 1:24 29
V6/1le Lap Time 1:25 19

All with best time attacks by Randy Pobst!
Good try for the V6 1LE.. A lot of folks mainly GM were saying how the V6 1LE ran a faster time than the GTPP at lighting lap but it was one year apart!!
You've got to be kidding.

People made the (valid) complaint that the V6 1LE's time wasn't a perfect apples:apples comparison when it beat the GTPP because it wasn't on the same day, (even though it was the same driver)...
...yet now that the V6 1LE finally posts a time where it loses, THIS counts?!

It's an entirely different day again, guys. :frusty:

The GTPP should beat the V6 1LE. It has a tire disadvantage but it's not like the Pirellis are crap...and it has 100 more horsepower. The fact that it's even close should be a wakeup call to Ford.

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
You guys also are assuming anyone can post times like Randy Pobst. Totally different story at different tracks with different drivers. One or two can also be very easy to drive fast where the others take superhuman skills to get every tenth out of each lap. I still say $10000 or so dollars is a huge difference between a gtpp and SS1LE. I am a GM guy and bought a gtpp.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
You guys also are assuming anyone can post times like Randy Pobst. Totally different story at different tracks with different drivers. One or two can also be very easy to drive fast where the others take superhuman skills to get every tenth out of each lap. I still say $10000 or so dollars is a huge difference between a gtpp and SS1LE. I am a GM guy and bought a gtpp.
How are you coming up with $10,000 between the two?:shrug: also, the base SS already beats the GTPP and the 1le matches or beats gt350 times and has even beat z28 times. Huge difference between 1le and GTPP.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Camaro 1LE is $32k...or pretty much the exact same price as a base Mustang GT.

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
Ss 1le msrp is 45-46k. I only wanted the 1le, so that was my comparison. The base ss wheels look crappy to me. I was comparing a 15 1LE when I bought mine and it was $5000 more and interest on the loan. The new ones sell for $40-41k here, GTPP's $31-32k.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Ss 1le msrp is 45-46k. I only wanted the 1le, so that was my comparison. The base ss wheels look crappy to me. I was comparing a 15 1LE when I bought mine and it was $5000 more and interest on the loan. The new ones sell for $40-41k here, GTPP's $31-32k.
I have a real hard time believing that Ford is discounting 2017 GTPP $5000-6000. :crazy:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
A base gtpp is $37000 which he says are selling for $31k-$32k. That is some serious discount on a 2017.
Maybe I overlooked something in the process, but I went to Ford's site and chose a base Mustang GT and and only added the PP, and it came to $36,090. I went to Chevy's site and chose the 1SS Camaro and only added the 1LE package, and it came to $44,400. So in MSRP, there's not $10,000 difference in price, but it's over $8,000.

Add in discounts, etc., and who knows what the difference might end up being.
Sponsored