Sponsored

Coyote 5.0 Development

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
This will be my first Mustang. I always wanted a muscle car and back in 2009 bought a Dodge Challenger SRT8. Not a bad car! rides nice, torque and speed as well as handling were ok. But...to heavy. You guy's know this stuff already.

I decide to give the mustang a serious look this year, figuring I get a good deal on a 2014. then I saw the 2015, holy good lord. I decide to wait for the newest version of the 2015 Mustang GT w/PP.

I knew from researching the Mustang that the Coyote motor was superior to the 6.1L HEMI. But I had no idea as to the extent that it is one serious engine. I was reading an article from 2011 posted last night by another member, on the development of the Coyote and was amazed at the engineering that went into it. There was a subsequent article about the Boss 302 upgrade.

You guy's know a heck of a lot more about this car and motor than I do at this point.

My question is this... is it accurate and fair to say the 2015 Mustang GT w/PP, with all of it's tweaks and mod's, i.e. larger valves, new cams, new pistons, new heads, rebalanced crank, new connecting rods, Boss 302 valve springs, larger radiator, is basically the Boss 302?
Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
As you pointed out, the new motor is very close to the Boss' in many respects, and in others it's actually superior. For instance, it has better (higher lift) cams and larger valves.

The biggest area where it falls short of the Boss is the pistons, which are cast rather than forged. That's more about durability than performance though. Also, the Boss' intake manifold made some significant improvements to the power curve on the S197, especially in the top end. It remains to be seen what the S550's power band looks like in comparison. But regardless, I have a feeling it's going to have more torque down low than both the outgoing Boss and GT, due to the higher lift cams and charge motion control valves. That will make daily driving more enjoyable at the very least. The lack of low end grunt is one of my biggest complaints about my 2012.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Scottpe was pretty spot on with his answer. The Boss intake manifold gave the Boss big hp improvements, especially in the top end, but hurts the low end torque aspect. This wasn't really seen as a drawback for road racing though where you are pretty much never in a low rpm range.

The new mustang will have a bump in power and torque. The charge motion control valves will help shift more torque to the lower rpm ranges as well which will be an improvement over both the boss and regular gt.

lostwon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z51 7 Speed
GT versus Boss Coyote engines

In complete agreement with what is posted above.

OP - the answer to your question is no, even the new S550 Coyote with new parts isn't quite the equivalent of the previous Boss.

But the prime thing to remember, IMHO, is the design purpose of the Boss.
The design difference is evident in the 6K difference in price of the crate GT and Boss engines. Power difference as noted above is that the Boss has more top rpm power, while giving up some torque to the GT.

Most importantly, the Boss has all the right stuff for continuous high rpm, high heat operation necessary in track competition.

The GT, as it turns out, has proven very reliable in spite of not having the optimum in racing (heat resistant) parts. Relatively bullet-proof, considering the price difference with the Boss.

Both engines are very efficient in converting fuel to power over a wide range of rpm and load conditions.

Looks like the S550 Coyote may benefit from some lessons learned, fine tuning, and parts selection from both previous versions of the Coyote.

So in summary, you might say the new S550 engine is closing the gap in performance, and durability between the previous GT and Boss engines.
Sponsored