Sponsored

Mustang dealer cost price?

Janerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
My local dealer has just had a re-fit and they're doing a promotion where you can order "any brand new Ford car or commercial vehicle at cost price" from 2nd - 6th March. So how much would i be looking at saving here?
Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
My local dealer has just had a re-fit and they're doing a promotion where you can order "any brand new Ford car or commercial vehicle at cost price" from 2nd - 6th March. So how much would i be looking at saving here?
Why not ask them:shrug:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I bet there's T&Cs to basically say "you can buy all the crap run of the mill cars" :lol:

OP
OP

Janerz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
I bet there's T&Cs to basically say "you can buy all the crap run of the mill cars" :lol:
there normally is isn't there.

*offer excludes Mustang & GT models*

doesn't indicate that on this though

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
there normally is isn't there.

*offer excludes Mustang & GT models*

doesn't indicate that on this though
Worth asking then, probably be about £1-2k cheaper than list... :shrug:. The mustang really doesn't make all that much profit for Ford.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
I'm sure I heard it was as little as £500 per Mustang.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
before all the price rises yes... No idea now :shrug: Could be less could be more... I'm more speculating a 1-2k saving based on ford paying 'old price' for a car, and them having a cancelled order in stock, so it's around 1-2k difference (depending on the C/O order time etc)

Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I'll bet it does not include Mustang or RS models.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Nothing, they're literally making next to nothing on Mustangs .. £700 tops.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
With business sense like this I'd be wary of them still being around to collect from...

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Nothing, they're literally making next to nothing on Mustangs .. £700 tops.
Don't you believe it...

The story I got many years ago from a senior ex-VAG employee will no doubt be similar to the way a lot of other major dealers operate, in that their invoice cost (from the manufacturer) is indeed only marginally less than the published retail, which arms them with the ability to counter requests for discounts and allows them to offer occasional 'invoice cost sales' to draw in customers.

They [dealers] are set targets, which generally include allocations whereby the manufacturer sends them set amounts of 'stock/pre-manufactured' vehicles on a regular basis which they are expected to sell off the lot/showroom floor on top of any special order vehicles, further to which, and based on what percentage up to and over their set target they achieve, they receive retrospective 'bonuses'.

This is where their profitability lies, and it is obviously out of sight of the buying public.

This is backed up by the fact that, as car sales are calculated based on registration, you will see dealers pre-register vehicles so they are classed as sales for reporting purposes to the manufacturer, to enable them to receive their bonuses, then offer them for sale at vastly reduced prices to clear them off the lot to make way for the next batch.

It is impossible to believe that the end profit on the sale of a Mustang at, say £35K, would amount to just 1.5-2% (£500-700) as absolutely no business could operate on these margins (even if their margins on cars such as the Ka, Fiesta and Focus were double that of the Mustang, their typical retail is half as much), especially with the overheads involved.
Sponsored