Sponsored

Euro NCAP 2 STAR safety rating!!

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
Was just reading Autocar's article and they mention this:

The results in Europe highly contrast those in the US, where the Mustang has been awarded five stars. Euro NCAP secretary general Michiel van Ratingen said the more basic specification of European cars was the reason for the difference.

“Ford did not expect Euro NCAP to test the Mustang and chose not to fit safety technology in Europe which is available to its American consumers and available on several other sports cars for that matter,” he said. “Such an attitude to safety should trouble Ford’s customers, whether they are buying a high-powered muscle car or a regular family car.”
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/ford-mustang-scores-two-stars-euro-ncap-test-video

So it seems it's not just a matter of Ford not updating their car to meet Euro crash standards but actually removing safety technologies available on the US car. I wonder how true that is...
Sponsored

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Is that true?? Haven't loads of cars had to have different bumpers fitted due to their tests.
1 I know of (it's a long time ago) im sure the Ferrari F40 had different bumbers fitted to pass US crash tests
It's not that simple; the tests themselves are different; the requirements are different and the scoring is different - something that passes 5 stars in the C-NCAP (China) wouldn't pass anything at all in the E-NCAP (Europe) because C-NCAP doesn't mention, require or test for Stability Control, and ours does.. so a star is as meaningful as the testing body wants it to be. Think of a 4-star hotel in Spain and ours - meaningless.

Mind you, your question is slightly different; Porsche have long had to do the same; adding "bumpers" within the moulding to meet their bumper standards.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Was just reading Autocar's article and they mention this:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/ford-mustang-scores-two-stars-euro-ncap-test-video

So it seems it's not just a matter of Ford not updating their car to meet Euro crash standards but actually removing safety technologies available on the US car. I wonder how true that is...
I think the sort of thing's they're referring to would still be options in the US (but still not options offered to us).....blind spot monitoring, radar cross traffic alert etc.

Those are all things designed to pro-actively prevent and accident.

How the car holds up in the actual event of an accident will be the same for both US and EU cars, I'd imagine.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
But how objective are these tests really?... thinking of a small car like a Toyota Aygo or Renault Twingo... probably got a good safety rating (no idea as can't be arsed to check), but would make bugger all difference in reality if it got hit by a Toyota Landcruiser, Range Rover or Audi Q7 travelling at 75-100mph or an out of control truck with a fully laden 40' trailer doing 30-40mph.

Accidents are not controlled like these test are, so they're very much subjective, and as [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] suggests, just to appease men in suits.

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
But how objective are these tests really?... thinking of a small car like a Toyota Aygo or Renault Twingo... probably got a good safety rating (no idea as can't be arsed to check), but would make bugger all difference in reality if it got hit by a Toyota Landcruiser, Range Rover or Audi Q7 travelling at 75-100mph or an out of control truck with a fully laden 40' trailer doing 30-40mph.

Accidents are not controlled like these test are, so they're very much subjective, and as [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] suggests, just to appease men in suits.
2014 twingo for 4 stars :lol:

Yeah I'm that bored today

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Objective the test's is somewhat irrelevant, insurance will see it and probably need a pace maker!

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
Firstly, it doesnt bother me one bit.

But looking deeper into the issue, it suggests to me that manufactures build cars to pass their local tests. The Mustang gets 5 out of 5 in the USA, and here it gets 2, mainly because it is missing electronic nannies that i for one dont want my car to have. The fact they might make these electronic nannies compulsory for MY18 (we will have to wait to see) just makes me even more happy to have my car.

As for curtain airbags not doing what NCAP want, the convertibles dont have them. I havent heard of thousands dying as a result?

Its not impossible for this to have a political edge to it either. The success of the fuel guzzling Mustang in diesel loving Europe must have put a fair number of noses out of joint. (I am all for a good conspiracy!!)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Proposal for new poll;

"did you buy a Mustang with safety in mind?"

Options;

- no
- dont ask stupid questions

:ford:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Proposal for new poll;

Options;

- no

GIIIIBBBOOOOOO!

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Proposal for new poll;

Options;

- no

Ohh another poll, I do love a good poll! :D

Seriously, who ever here purchased a fucking car based on NCAP or any other safety rating?

Gets well blown out of proportion and its total bullshit, if the car was un-safe or unfit for purpose Ford would not be allowed to sell it full stop.

Also NCAP is bullshit, 5yr ago it would be 4 star, now its 2 star because it does not have certain technologies like lane assist, auto braking, collision avoidance etc.

The ratings change from year to year as new tech comes out, this is great. But it also makes older cars look un-safe when in reality they are absolutely fine.

End of the day, Mustang is king of crashing, but the occupants are surviving and typically without a scratch, the car is fine and it is safe. :)

Langburger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT Manual
trying searching for the Porsche 991, Boxter & Cayman NCAP ratings

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ohh another poll, I do love a good poll! :D

Seriously, who ever here purchased a fucking car based on NCAP or any other safety rating?

Gets well blown out of proportion and its total bullshit, if the car was un-safe or unfit for purpose Ford would not be allowed to sell it full stop.

Also NCAP is bullshit, 5yr ago it would be 4 star, now its 2 star because it does not have certain technologies like lane assist, auto braking, collision avoidance etc.

The ratings change from year to year as new tech comes out, this is great. But it also makes older cars look un-safe when in reality they are absolutely fine.

End of the day, Mustang is king of crashing, but the occupants are surviving and typically without a scratch, the car is fine and it is safe. :)
Yea well put mate. Just a good excuse to give the Mustang some bad press. No mention of the tests being different to a few years back, with that emphasis on Mustangs being bad for safety for lack of the new tech.

I can see the headlines now...

"Wan't to die & have fun at the same time? Buy a Mustang!"

:lol:

OP
OP
Stark

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
So now the insurance companies have seen this information, it's going to be interesting what prices they start dishing out!!

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
So NCAP give the Aygo 56% for Safety Assist because it has:
Seat Belt reminder, ESC and Cruise Control.....

Mustang gets 16% because it apparently only has:
Seat belt reminder?????

Having driven an Aygo I know which I would rather be in if in an accident!!:doh:
Sponsored