Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary
Exactly.

"Hey, my iPhone 6S Plus is a black, rectangle, just like my iPhone3GS, they should be able to run the same software ..."

Umm, no.

I'm a developer, architect, writer in the tech sector for 25+ years, I get it: planned obsolescence, companies denying an OS feature because (according to them) the hardware is sub-par but when enabled through a hack works 90% effectively, major unexpected changes in product release cycles (see Apple's debacle with the same year release of the iPad 3 and 4).

It's a huge bummer that the early adopters [of 2015 models] are getting shafted, and that Ford for the short initial production couldn't get the new Sync system ready, or could have, but it was easier/cheaper/in their best interest (not the consumers) to use the Sync 2.

It's equally a shitty deal that car electronics aren't as modular as they could be, and it's not like a phone where you can say, OK, I'm just going to suck it up, I want NCF, because we're talking about a $35K purchase, not a $750 outlay.

If it wasn't for seeing 2015s on the road, I wouldn't have my car, so Ford, at the very least, pay the rolling advertisers something, like maybe a discounted Sync 3 kit with the proper plug-n-play harness :)

Side note: "Oh cash I guess, I mean, it's not deductible is it?"
Thats my point, we got fucked.

Now stuck with a shitty system whose navigation system sucks so bad I never even use it and just use my phone. We gave them all the free advertising, hell I had my car since November of '15 with a shit ton of people asking me about it so probably sent more than one buyer their way. At the least give a discounted unit if not a free one to us who bought the new redesign as supposedly the latest and greatest.

We all feel cheated and lied to right to our faces.
Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
It's not like Sync 2 just came out for the 2015 Mustang. It's been in Ford vehicles for the past few years. Our 2013 Taurus has the same Sync 2 system as the 2015 Mustang does. Technology constantly gets better. There is always a cutoff point between something old and something new.

Should I be mad at Apple because last year I bought an iPhone 6 then they improved the 6s by putting in a more powerful processor and a 3d touch screen? "When I bought the 6 I didn't know the 6s would have those features... If I did I would not have purchased it and waited."

The same argument goes for ANY technology. I plan on ordering a 2017 this spring/summer and hopefully taking delivery by fall. Am I to be mad if a few months after I get it i here that the 2018 will have Sync 4 with some other new and cool tech that the 2017 didn't?

What should Ford have done... Halted production on all their models that have sync 2 because they knew they were developing Sync 3?

The bottom line is you can never keep up with Technology. Early adopters are often the most satisfied because they get to enjoy what they have for the longest time knowing changes are going to come eventually.

Bobstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary
It's not like Sync 2 just came out for the 2015 Mustang. It's been in Ford vehicles for the past few years. Our 2013 Taurus has the same Sync 2 system as the 2015 Mustang does. Technology constantly gets better. There is always a cutoff point between something old and something new.
Ford said as recently as 6 months after the new mustang was released that Google would not be available even as an option on their cars.

And yes, I work in the tech field I know technology gets better, fact remains that this was supposed to be the latest and greatest evolution of their technology which still was horrible and they knew it. The sync 2 was supposed to correct all the BS from the previous version which it obviously did not and yes it was released the year you referenced. This leap is like going from a gameboy to a full fledged gaming laptop, its not a small step and nothing has been fixed on our shitty systems that we've been complaining about since release.

A brand new platform announced and coming out less than a year after the redesign release means it was in the pipeline and they knowingly lied to us.

Doesn't matter to them now, Ford has our money. Just a lesson learned, wife was looking to replace current car so it looks like we'll be getting a Cadillac instead of the Lincolns she was thinking since I had steered her that way.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Ford said as recently as 6 months after the new mustang was released that Google would not be available even as an option on their cars.
Not from what I have read. I can find no article stating Ford said that.

Article from February 25, 2015
This year, the American automaker announced that it was dropping its Microsoft-based MyFordTouch infotainment system is favor of a new Blackberry QNX-based setup. Now, Ford is working to integrate both Apple Car Play and Android Auto, which allow consumers to control apps on their smartphones through the vehicle’s interface.

Article from February 26, 2015
The launch of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto would seem to have the makings of a rivalry, but many carmakers are simply opting for both. That may be the route Ford takes if it decides to add brand-specific smartphone connectivity to its Sync 3 infotainment system, a new report says. The Blue Oval will not only integrate both systems into upcoming models, it will also keep its own Sync AppLink feature, according to Car and Driver.
AppLink performs a similar function to CarPlay and Android Auto, allowing drivers to use the car’s built-in controls for smartphone apps. The Apple and Android systems come with their own layers of brand-specific aesthetic and functional elements, but that only applies to buyers who have those respective phones.
That’s probably why Ford will keep AppLink as well. Unlike the two branded systems, it also doesn’t require a touchscreen. That means AppLink can be used in lower-priced models. Sync 3 itself departs from the Microsoft architecture of previous Ford infotainment systems for Blackberry QNX. Ford claims it ironed out the clunkiness that has plagued these systems since their debut. The new system rolls out on Ford models this year, and will be standard or optional on every U.S.-market vehicle by 2016. As for CarPlay and Android Auto, Ford won’t confirm anything, but a recent report from The New York Times claims they could launch before the end of this year.

Article from June 1, 2015
Ford is expected to confirm CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity later this year. As we reported in February, the automaker is will likely preserve its ‘AppLink’ feature alongside the duo from Silicon Valley, despite having similar functions.

Article from June 22, 2015
Sure enough, SYNC 3 looks likely to eventually gain CarPlay and Android Auto support. Even then, though, it will have some advantages over the phone-based systems. Their dependence on the cloud, where Ford's platform is self-sufficiently local to the car, means you'll need a decent connection, and there are some things CarPlay and Android Auto - in their current iterations, anyway - can't deliver, like HVAC integration.

Article from September 18, 2015
If you own a Ford vehicle, you probably already know that the company has not made any public announcements about Android Auto. However, a few execs have come out and said that they are looking for a way to not “give the keys” to Google and Apple. Basically what they mean by this is they don’t want Android Auto or Apple CarPlay to be the only option in their vehicles, and that they want it integrated with Ford Sync. Normally, we wouldn’t mind too much about a car maker not making plans for Android Auto. For example, Toyota has said they won’t be utilizing Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, but Ford is a member of the Open Automotive Alliance, while Toyota is not. Which peaks our interest a bit more.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't matter to them now, Ford has our money. Just a lesson learned, wife was looking to replace current car so it looks like we'll be getting a Cadillac instead of the Lincolns she was thinking since I had steered her that way.
Nothing wrong with a Caddy, it's my DD :)

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Now stuck with a shitty system whose navigation system sucks so bad I never even use it and just use my phone. We gave them all the free advertising, hell I had my car since November of '15 with a shit ton of people asking me about it so probably sent more than one buyer their way. At the least give a discounted unit if not a free one to us who bought the new redesign as supposedly the latest and greatest.

I don't. We didn't get fucked, we didn't get cheated, we didn't get lied to. You knew what was in the car when you bought it. It was no secret that sync 3 was coming out in 2016.

You claim that ford said they would never support google, but that is contrary to everything I have read about sync 3 for the past year or so. There are all the articles referenced above. Here is one from even earlier - Oct. 2014:

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/16/ford-...welcome-in-our-cars-but-sync-is-here-to-stay/

I would love sync 3 and apple carplay, but claiming Ford lied to and cheated the 2015 owners is ludicrous.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I absolutely don't feel cheated either. I know what I was buying, if somebody believes in any kind of guarantees that something isn't going to be supported (which I never heard about either) I feel really sorry for him :)

It was pretty clear that support for both major cell phone OS is just a matter of time with all other manufacturers doing it.

I also feel sorry for people that continuously raise a stink about stupid infotainment system in a car where infotainment should be last thing to worry about. They really bought a wrong car.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I also feel sorry for people that continuously raise a stink about stupid infotainment system in a car where infotainment should be last thing to worry about. They really bought a wrong car.
I knew what I was getting and I'm not going to complain about it, but I'd be lying if I said I don't care about not being able to have apple carplay. I'm a sucker for technology. That won't change regardless of what car I drive. :)

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
Because if I even remotely thought this was coming I wouldnt have gotten my 2015 at all, and the head units are almost exactly the same from '15-'16, dont act like there is some sort of huge gap in technology.
Bullshit. The head units behind the 15 and 16 are totally different. Different screen, different touch technology, different processors, different storage, different OS.

Its the same size screen so it *looks* the same. That's it.

They could probably support a drop-in replacement unit, but you would be replacing the entire infotainment system, so it wouldn't be a small thing.

MFT was dying and wasn't going to be upgraded. Everyone who cared knew that. Sync3 coming wasn't a surprise. It wasn't a surprise in general, and it wasn't a surprise that it would be on the 2016. If you bought at release you got the latest and greatest at the time. Not our fault, or even Ford's fault, that the new latest and greatest wasn't ready yet.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This thread is getting depressing. Kinda reminds me of those Tesla owners filing lawsuits forcing Tesla to retro fit sensors and cameras that the early Tesla didn't come with so the owners can use the latest functions.
I guess god forbids car manufacturers put new better electronics in their existing cars.

Sponsored

usa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Ford announced well before the 2015 Mustang came out that they were moving to a new hardware/software platform: http://www.computerworld.com/articl...umping-microsoft-for-blackberry-s-qnx-os.html

Apparently you missed this. I have a 2015 and am in the same situation as you, but I knew I was getting the end of the Sync 2 life, but I was OK with that. Did you see Ford offered a new Apple's Siri Handfree recently to MFT users? Probably not.

I guess you'd be happier if Ford kept the old system so new buyers would turn away from Mustang and get a Camaro or something, just so you don't feel screwed. It's called progress.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm sure soon enough someone will post a DIY on how to rip out the MFT units from the 15's and replace/upgrade to SYNC3 components...

Or maybe by then... SYNC3 users will be complaining about Ford upgrading to SYNC4... lol!!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Or maybe by then... SYNC3 users will be complaining about Ford upgrading to SYNC4... lol!!
Wait a minute ... ?!?! What do you know? I'll sue!

I also better get free updates for any power changes Ford makes! They know they'd be updating the 2018s to 465HP! DAMN THEM.

:lol: