Sponsored

MBRP RACE IN BLACK REVIEW

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Morning Everybody!
I just installed my MBRP Race on my GT this past weekend. I drove about 300 miles since the install. I love the exhaust. however, there are some downfalls to having such a loud exhaust.

Pros-
Exhaust note. it is exceptional. Under acceleration from a dead stop she screams. It only gets better as you hit higher RPM's.

Look. The 4.5 inch tips really fill out the rear valence and give it an aggressive look.

Quality. It was a perfect fitment. no need to cut or weld. it was on within 30 mins of having the car on a lift.

This exhaust is loud. (just a little disclaimer)

Cons-

Drone. From around 1750-2100 RPM there is drone under load. this only seems to pop up at highway speeds. (above 60 MPH) I found myself cruising around in 5th gear on the highway because as soon as I shifted into 6th and pressed the gas to maintain speed, the drone was BAAAAD.
Also, under deceleration if the car is left in gear and brakes are not used(letting the car cruise to a lower speed in gear) there was a wubba wubba effect. NOT TERRIBLY BAD. just something I have not experienced.

Don't let the drone scare you away. It only pops up at certain speeds.

I would rate this exhaust as follows-
Fitment - 8/10 the left tip sits millimeters lower then the right. Easy to install
Tone - 9/10 the exhaust sounds amazing! it does have great notes, but is not deafeningly loud.
Quality - 10/10 the black coating was flawless. the welds were great. there was a bit of slag inside, but i'm not worried about that.
Drone - 7/10 there is some drone. it is a race exhaust after all.
I know some of you might ask, I do not have a Dyno of before and after. My butt dyno does not sense a gain in HP. Throttle response seems to have improved? :shrug:

Questions?

PICS TO COME.
Sponsored

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Exactly what I think about it. I had a big bag in my trunk this morning full of clothes and my drone wasn't nearly as bad as usual. I might leave it in there LOL
I think it's a great exhaust for the money. Did you have someone do a drive by while you're not in the car yet? You'll be amazed at how damn good it sounds from outside....

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I've had people tell me my street is loud when I drive by and I get very little to no drone. My previous car droned horrible due to its exhaust set up. I couldn't push myself to getting the race because I knew there was going to be noticeable drone.

OP
OP

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly what I think about it. I had a big bag in my trunk this morning full of clothes and my drone wasn't nearly as bad as usual. I might leave it in there LOL
I think it's a great exhaust for the money. Did you have someone do a drive by while you're not in the car yet? You'll be amazed at how damn good it sounds from outside....
I have not yet. I don't trust my friends. none of them know how to drive MT. my wife is learning but hates to get on the throttle. I might use my GoPro and try and capture a sound clip.
It sounds amazing while in the car.
also, for 560 shipped, this cannot be beat.

phrenetiK

IF YOU QUOTE PICS I H8 U
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaros Race Red
saw a local with the RACE version. his exhaust was maybe 10% louder all around but had drone. my street has no noticeable drone.

Sponsored

OP
OP

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
saw a local with the RACE version. his exhaust was maybe 10% louder all around but had drone. my street has no noticeable drone.
honestly, the drone isn't bad. its only in 6th gear cruising at around 2k RPM. and I barely get on the highway. so I just sit in 5th gear at around 3.5K and it sounds great.
the street is always a good option for people too.
I would like to know the difference in performance between the two, if there is any at all.
I might retrofit an xpipe on it sometime down the road and see if that corrects the problem of drone...who knows. it may make it worse. it might make it a lot better.
nice photo btw :cheers:

Last edited:

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
I read somewhere that putting down some dynomat in the spare tire area almost eliminates all drone. Anyone else try this?

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
I read somewhere that putting down some dynomat in the spare tire area almost eliminates all drone. Anyone else try this?
I did this in my 12, it didn't help at all. My clothes bag pretty much filled the trunk so I think that's why it helped. :D

byklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
is it so loud where you will piss off your neighbors? how does it compare to other exhausts in terms of volume?

OP
OP

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is it so loud where you will piss off your neighbors? how does it compare to other exhausts in terms of volume?
Idk. I live in an apartment complex. There are a lot of modded cars in my complex. (few subarus, another mustang, scions, Geneses coupes)

in terms of volume, the only other one I heard was the Borla ATAK. and that was slightly louder then my exhaust. im not revving it like crazy and the idle isn't so loud that it would wake someone up.
The street system is a little more toned down if your worried about volume.

Sponsored

byklin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
Oh wow the ATAK is only slightly louder?

OP
OP

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow the ATAK is only slightly louder?
from my experience, yes. it has a completely different sound though. the Race is a deeper more throaty tone.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
Some people are more sensitive to drone.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Some people are more sensitive to drone.
this is as accurate as it gets

you can find people with the mbrp that says it has 0 drone
then you have people that will say it has a little drone,
then you have people that say the drone is unbearable

I get that from almost every single system out there

OP
OP

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is as accurate as it gets