Import duty. Be aware!

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
A good few years back, I had an issue whereby the invoice didn't include a shipping charge at all so hmrc stuck a £35 shipping charge to the cost that went straight to them on top of paying the company for the product and shipping.
Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
This is what's really putting me off ordering the mach xv exhaust.

Can I make it cheaper somehow if I got a relative in the states to send it over for me?
I do this as often as possible and so far it's worked out ok...

Just get them to declare a nominal value...but don't take the piss...

$10 for an exhaust would raise a few eyebrows.... $300 probably wouldn't IYSWIM:)

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
I just received my Solo Mach XV exhaust, ordered direct from the manufacturer.
The exhaust itself was quite a good price and worked out around 760GBP. The shipping stated by Solo, who use UPS, was an additional 325USD.
I was happy enough with this, and although I expected an import charge I was hoping that maybe the shipping cost included as I have had that before, and as it did seem quite high, but regardless I was happy enough.
I have ordered bike exhausts from the States before and the import charges were reasonable, I always thought.
However, I wasn't too impressed when UPS skinned me another 325GDP to deliver the bugger!
That's almost a 50% import charge, doesn't seem right to me.
I have mailed Solo, and he is looking into it.
So, be aware! :doh:
When I got my solo in Sept, shipping was USD 250 but the Mach Thunder was USD 850. When it arrived I think i was charged £240 duty or close to that for something similar to yours. I will try and dig the receipt out as I would want to know why its gone up by £80 ish.....assuming my duty sum was correct. I actually wrote a check so I can check on that too

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
This is what's really putting me off ordering the mach xv exhaust.

Can I make it cheaper somehow if I got a relative in the states to send it over for me?
I bought mine through Team Beefcake. Delivery was $240. Can't remember how much tax I paid, but it definitely wasn't £325

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I just received my Solo Mach XV exhaust, ordered direct from the manufacturer.
The exhaust itself was quite a good price and worked out around 760GBP. The shipping stated by Solo, who use UPS, was an additional 325USD.
I was happy enough with this, and although I expected an import charge I was hoping that maybe the shipping cost included as I have had that before, and as it did seem quite high, but regardless I was happy enough.
I have ordered bike exhausts from the States before and the import charges were reasonable, I always thought.
However, I wasn't too impressed when UPS skinned me another 325GDP to deliver the bugger!
That's almost a 50% import charge, doesn't seem right to me.
I have mailed Solo, and he is looking into it.
So, be aware! :doh:
I'm in the process of buying one of these haven't paid yet but got the invoice:

MUSTANG GT 2015- PRESENT MACH-XV CAT BACK EXHAUST KIT 1 $943.43
SHIPPING 1 $275.00
Total $1,218.43 USD

I'm expecting VAT to be 20% duty 5% of the total and an admin charge of about £10

Also I was considering buying 5 and having my shipper going in and collecting with a view to putting them in my Amazon store (advantage of running an import business) but I can't get the information I need from them to get a shipping quote via sea.

Interested to know how you get on are you dealing with Jeff or Steve?

edit: thought the charges should be about £260 what's your breakdown?

Sponsored

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Just bare in mind the crashing of the £ against $, £1k was about $1.5k a year ago, £1k now is @$1.24k, $260 or thereabouts difference now so decrease in £ v $ will increase duty/VAT on total price, so my head tells me :shrug:

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
If using a relative to send parts, why not get them to do something to it to say it's used, so the value is immediately halved at least.

For example, whats a used GT350R steering wheel worth?? If it's not in a ford box, the area where the nut attaches it to the steering column is marked where the nut has been, the trim pieces are wrapped in paper towel and the hardware is in a sandwich bag surely it's used. I'd say it's worth no more than $100?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
If using a relative to send parts, why not get them to do something to it to say it's used, so the value is immediately halved at least.

For example, whats a used GT350R steering wheel worth?? If it's not in a ford box, the area where the nut attaches it to the steering column is marked where the nut has been, the trim pieces are wrapped in paper towel and the hardware is in a sandwich bag surely it's used. I'd say it's worth no more than $100?
Send as gift. <$37 value Win. :headbang:.

Personal item, no box, like the above, bought with you abroad, but left it there with a friend or something.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Car parts and accessories are charged 4.5% duty under UK law.

To be charged another $350/£260 on top of the base price, to then pay more tax on top of that, is very clearly wrong. In total it should've only been £1313.42

calc.PNG

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I'm coming round to the view that for big and awkward things there's a lot to be said for having recourse to a local (by which I mean UK) vendor in case things go wrong. Stuff gets damaged, wrong things get sent and as we've seen the customs process is at best inconsistent. Imagine trying to get credits for stuff returned and rebought?

Where there's not so much in it any more I'd rather let the local importer here have the hassle.

Sponsored

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm coming round to the view that for big and awkward things there's a lot to be said for having recourse to a local (by which I mean UK) vendor in case things go wrong. Stuff gets damaged, wrong things get sent and as we've seen the customs process is at best inconsistent. Imagine trying to get credits for stuff returned and rebought?

Where there's not so much in it any more I'd rather let the local importer here have the hassle.
I ordered an oil separator from America. V6 one got delivered. I have a V8. I got a refund but not after paying almost the value of the damn thing in P&P. :(

So whilst you may get a good deal, local is always better.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I ordered an oil separator from America. V6 one got delivered. I have a V8. I got a refund but not after paying almost the value of the damn thing in P&P. :(

So whilst you may get a good deal, local is always better.
I think if i wanted any big parts I would get my dealer to get them flown over and then fitted by him, yes might cost a bit more, but peace of mind and knowing the job has been done 100%
when i ordered my Borla it was my dealer who got it, and fitted it for me before I collected the car
Only stuff have got from the US and this was when the $ was in a good way, was boot mat and dress up caps,
he also got me my spare wheel, so was ready and in the boot when i picked up the car.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I think if i wanted any big parts I would get my dealer to get them flown over and then fitted by him, yes might cost a bit more, but peace of mind and knowing the job has been done 100%
when i ordered my Borla it was my dealer who got it, and fitted it for me before I collected the car
Only stuff have got from the US and this was when the $ was in a good way, was boot mat and dress up caps,
he also got me my spare wheel, so was ready and in the boot when i picked up the car.
Dealer? Job done 100%? Is your dealer as rare as a unicorn? :lol:

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score