Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Don't you believe it...

The story I got many years ago from a senior ex-VAG employee will no doubt be similar to the way a lot of other major dealers operate, in that their invoice cost (from the manufacturer) is indeed only marginally less than the published retail, which arms them with the ability to counter requests for discounts and allows them to offer occasional 'invoice cost sales' to draw in customers.

They [dealers] are set targets, which generally include allocations whereby the manufacturer sends them set amounts of 'stock/pre-manufactured' vehicles on a regular basis which they are expected to sell off the lot/showroom floor on top of any special order vehicles, further to which, and based on what percentage up to and over their set target they achieve, they receive retrospective 'bonuses'.

This is where their profitability lies, and it is obviously out of sight of the buying public.

This is backed up by the fact that, as car sales are calculated based on registration, you will see dealers pre-register vehicles so they are classed as sales for reporting purposes to the manufacturer, to enable them to receive their bonuses, then offer them for sale at vastly reduced prices to clear them off the lot to make way for the next batch.

It is impossible to believe that the end profit on the sale of a Mustang at, say £35K, would amount to just 1.5-2% (£500-700) as absolutely no business could operate on these margins (even if their margins on cars such as the Ka, Fiesta and Focus were double that of the Mustang, their typical retail is half as much), especially with the overheads involved.
You work in audit/finance or did the Ex-VAG guy, it sounds a lot like the explanation my dad and brother both gave me who've audited ford stores for years (Both chartered accountants, dads now a DoF and Brothers an Audit manager). :thumbsup:!
Sponsored

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Don't you believe it...

The story I got many years ago from a senior ex-VAG employee will no doubt be similar to the way a lot of other major dealers operate, in that their invoice cost (from the manufacturer) is indeed only marginally less than the published retail, which arms them with the ability to counter requests for discounts and allows them to offer occasional 'invoice cost sales' to draw in customers.

They [dealers] are set targets, which generally include allocations whereby the manufacturer sends them set amounts of 'stock/pre-manufactured' vehicles on a regular basis which they are expected to sell off the lot/showroom floor on top of any special order vehicles, further to which, and based on what percentage up to and over their set target they achieve, they receive retrospective 'bonuses'.

This is where their profitability lies, and it is obviously out of sight of the buying public.

This is backed up by the fact that, as car sales are calculated based on registration, you will see dealers pre-register vehicles so they are classed as sales for reporting purposes to the manufacturer, to enable them to receive their bonuses, then offer them for sale at vastly reduced prices to clear them off the lot to make way for the next batch.

It is impossible to believe that the end profit on the sale of a Mustang at, say £35K, would amount to just 1.5-2% (£500-700) as absolutely no business could operate on these margins (even if their margins on cars such as the Ka, Fiesta and Focus were double that of the Mustang, their typical retail is half as much), especially with the overheads involved.
At the time I bought mine I knew the dealer GM very well, used to get all sorts of information that's out of normal public eye. They made £710 on my car, which was promptly wiped out by all the work & freebies they had to give me to sort the issues out I had.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
They make their money on finance deals. Try buying a car for cash from most main dealers, they aren't interested. I tried and failed to order an Audi Etron from 2 dealers, as soon they knew I was paying in full I couldn't get the time of day. Just as well. I ended up with a Mondeo and a Mustang.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
You work in audit/finance or did the Ex-VAG guy, it sounds a lot like the explanation my dad and brother both gave me who've audited ford stores for years (Both chartered accountants, dads now a DoF and Brothers an Audit manager). :thumbsup:!
I used to work in finance, but this info came to me from a guy that was (formerly) the business manager then later CFO of a high turnover multi brand/multi location dealership.

Edit: Yes... good point that I forgot to mention... what [MENTION=15533]slowhand99[/MENTION] said above can be very large part of a dealer's business as many operate closed shop deals with finance houses (i.e. quite a few finance providers will refuse to deal with you direct if they have an agreement with the dealer). Finance house gives dealer a base rate, and they then sell at whatever they can above this and pocket the difference - potentially very lucrative!

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
They make their money on finance deals. Try buying a car for cash from most main dealers, they aren't interested. I tried and failed to order an Audi Etron from 2 dealers, as soon they knew I was paying in full I couldn't get the time of day. Just as well. I ended up with a Mondeo and a Mustang.
I remember when I bought my new Boxster. It retailed at £60K, I got them down to £55K as it was a stock vehicle. Paid my £1000 deposit and they prepared the car for me. When I told them I was paying cash they as good as said I HAD to have finance if I wanted the car.

I actually lost sleep over it and decided to take the minimum finance I could get away with then pay it off. I ended up with £10K on the book and it was something like 18% interest from memory. Then they tried the GAP insurance, Tyre insurance, paint protection bla bla..

Lets just say Dick Lovett Bristol did a great sales job on me.. I will NEVER go back there again!! WELL DONE.:paddle::paddle:

Soap box now returned to the cupboard...:tsk:
Sponsored