Wing Mirrors

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
It's normal. In the US they of course drive on the other side and unlike us brits you only ever park on the right of the road. Parking on the left (crossing oncoming traffic) would result in a ticket. This means the left (passengers) mirror needs to fold more as it's on the side of traffic. The right (uk drivers) faces the 'side walk' so doesn't fold as much.

Ford didn't bother engineering it for the correct side of the road, much like cup holders, the mirror motor and handbrake.

It's a feature, don't worry!
where on earth did you pick up that load of total Tottenham (shite)
I park on both sides of the road, shock horror, and even more so, my mirror arms are the same length. and both fold in the same
As said on here a while back, the Euro stangs use the US mirror arms, but of course the mirrors are a lot bigger than the US mirrors
Sponsored

Tacklebury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
I park on both sides of the road, shock horror, and even more so, my mirror arms are the same length. and both fold in the same
As said on here a while back, the Euro stangs use the US mirror arms, but of course the mirrors are a lot bigger than the US mirrors
You are in the UK, right?

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Seems a bit of an unnecessary response. Seemed like a logical explanation to something that appears to be on all UK cars to me, even if it could be wrong.

Clearly the issue must be somthing to do with RHD, I wonder if the Aussies are the same?

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Seems a bit of an unnecessary response. Seemed like a logical explanation to something that appears to be on all UK cars to me, even if it could be wrong.

Clearly the issue must be somthing to do with RHD, I wonder if the Aussies are the same?
Sorry was a bit rude of me,

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
It's normal. In the US they of course drive on the other side and unlike us brits you only ever park on the right of the road. Parking on the left (crossing oncoming traffic) would result in a ticket. This means the left (passengers) mirror needs to fold more as it's on the side of traffic. The right (uk drivers) faces the 'side walk' so doesn't fold as much.

Ford didn't bother engineering it for the correct side of the road, much like cup holders, the mirror motor and handbrake.

It's a feature, don't worry!
Simon yes I do live in the UK :D
Sorry for being a bit sharp, just found this very wrong:
It's normal. In the US they of course drive on the other side and unlike us brits you only ever park on the right of the road. Parking on the left (crossing oncoming traffic) would result in a ticket. This means the left (passengers) mirror needs to fold more as it's on the side of traffic

Yes spot on about the ticket, mind you it's never enforced, even in the worst part of American to park Carmel, We never got a ticket, would have if we had touched the white lines. It's a crazy law, have parked in New York, San Fran to be honest never knew about it till we went to Vegas and one of our US friends mentioned it.
But the mirror thing, look at any image or video of the US S550 and you will see they are the same size.

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
...the Euro stangs use the US mirror arms, but of course the mirrors are a lot bigger than the US mirrors
On day of delivery I tried parking in my garage with only a few mm to spare and couldn't reverse out again!

2015 Mustang Width
Width inc mirrors 2080 mm (81.9 inches, 6' 10")
Width folded mirrors 1956 mm (77.0 inches, 6' 5")
Width Ex Mirrors (i.e. body only) 1916 mm (75.4 inches, 6' 3")

According to the US and UK brochures the 2015 Mustang width (inc mirrors) is the same for both markets which is 81.9" and 2080 mm. I have no idea if the brochures are correct.

Is it the case that the Euro spec mirrors are larger in body but not in width?

There are numerous illustrations US/UK/AUS where the mirrors are inboard of the car body which must be plain wrong.

2015 Mustang Mirrors Australia Brochure.JPG

2015 Mustang Mirrors Brochure.JPG

2015 Mustang Mirrors Rear 2080.JPG

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
There are numerous illustrations US/UK/AUS where the mirrors are inboard of the car body which must be plain wrong.
That's just to do with perspective and the curvature of the lens on the camera that took the picture.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
That's just to do with perspective and the curvature of the lens on the camera that took the picture.
I will get a tape measure tomorrow and measure each side, take pics and will even fold them and show you
:frusty:

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
I will get a tape measure tomorrow and measure each side, take pics and will even fold them and show you
:frusty:
hope this helps my US Mirrors
1st picture: Drivers side 3.5inches arm
2nd picture Passengers side 3.5 inches arm
3rd picture Drivers folded tight to the bodywork
4th picture Passengers folded tight to the bodywork
small drivers143205 (1).jpg
small passengers_143129.jpg
drivers folded 143219 (1).jpg
passenger folded143320 (1).jpg

Tacklebury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
It's normal. In the US they of course drive on the other side and unlike us brits you only ever park on the right of the road. Parking on the left (crossing oncoming traffic) would result in a ticket. This means the left (passengers) mirror needs to fold more as it's on the side of traffic

Yes spot on about the ticket, mind you it's never enforced, even in the worst part of American to park Carmel, We never got a ticket, would have if we had touched the white lines. It's a crazy law, have parked in New York, San Fran to be honest never knew about it till we went to Vegas and one of our US friends mentioned it.
But the mirror thing, look at any image or video of the US S550 and you will see they are the same size.
No probs, i'm thick skinned buddy!

All I know is in Canada just 4 weeks ago my relations commented that parking on the wrong side would result in a ticket and my 3500 mile trip along Route 66 also confirmed this...

I'm not really bothered about the mirror thing, I find it a bit of a querk!

Tack.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
No probs, i'm thick skinned buddy!

All I know is in Canada just 4 weeks ago my relations commented that parking on the wrong side would result in a ticket and my 3500 mile trip along Route 66 also confirmed this...

I'm not really bothered about the mirror thing, I find it a bit of a querk!

Tack.
maybe i have been lucky, but have done many trips, and just parked where there has been a spot, last trip was Toronto to Niagara across the bridge into the US onto Boston and finishing at the Big Apple.
well if anyone wants to see the US mirrors I have posted pics, so hopefully might help some people

Fatbob V2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

I got one though and was so proud, even framed it and put it on display!
A bit hungover that day so just abandoned the car when we left the hotel to find coffee and food.

Can you eat ice cream on the street here yet? And weren't high heels banned too?

Lovely place to visit though if you get the chance.
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Did you pay it?
Sponsored