cpelaez1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black 5.0 Vert
Hey everyone,

Today I was at the dealer (Koon's Ford of Silver Spring) when one of the service employees who also owns an S550 told me that I do not need my Sto N Sho bracket or license plate. He said a law was passed that says if the car does not come with holes or a means to mount a license plate you don't need one. He said he leaves it in the glove box and he's never been pulled over for it. My understanding was that the Maryland House Bill 577 was never passed only read once. Does anyone else have insight into this?

Heres the bill:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/hb/hb0577F.pdf

Cristian
Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I think this sub section is the important part and it leaves room for interpretation. (2) IF A VEHICLE FOR WHICH TWO REGISTRATION PLATES ARE REQUIRED WAS MANUFACTURED WITHOUT A MEANS TO SECURE AND DISPLAY A FRONT REGISTRATION PLATE, THE FRONT PLATE MAY BE STORED INSIDE THE VEHICLE IN A MANNER THAT MAKES THE PLATE EASILY ACCESSIBLE FOR VERIFICATION UNDER SUBSECTION (I) OF THIS SECTION.

It doesn't clarify what easily accessible is. I take from the doc that it's legal to not have it on the front but due to the fact Maryland requires it, you could still be pulled over and depending on the officer and their interpretation, or whether or not they even know about the bill, you could still be ticketed. Then it's likely you would win appealing the ticket. Never the less, I don't put a front tag on my car and haven't been bothered.

twoehr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost FB
I read a Yelp review recently where someone bashed a restaurant because they got a ticket from the local police for not having a front license plate mounted. The author claimed he was told by an employee at the MVA that it didn't have to be mounted. Clearly the police didn't agree. I'd have to say that not having to mount the front plate is an urban legend.

OP
OP
cpelaez1

cpelaez1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black 5.0 Vert
I read a Yelp review recently where someone bashed a restaurant because they got a ticket from the local police for not having a front license plate mounted. The author claimed he was told by an employee at the MVA that it didn't have to be mounted. Clearly the police didn't agree. I'd have to say that not having to mount the front plate is an urban legend.
Interesting. I haven't had the front plate on for a couple weeks now and haven't had any issues. We will see what happens lol.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
My friend got a front plate ticket from a park police on rockville pike. I didn't know those guys could ticket. I'll be keeping mine on mostly because it's already there but I also don't need to be giving the local crime fighters any excuses to tax me more. Maybe then they can go back to being more like firemen and responding to calls instead of hiding under bridges and around blind turns fishing for my wallet :shrug:

Plus, having to take the day off to go to court and dispute a ticket is a real pain in the ass IMO. Take the day off, pay $10 for parking, take my belt off, empty my pockets, get scanned, find the right room, wait for my name to be called, get smug looks from the ticketing cop, then finally sing for my supper to the judge.

The only joy I've ever gotten from that process is when they see my name and come by to ask if I need a translator. I ask the translators if they have any legal training and if they can water my plants if I go to jail.
Sponsored