Sponsored

Warranty paint work

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So a while back I was going around and around with ford regarding the thin paint on the hood of my GT that has resulted in several chips. Well after getting things worked out with the local ford rep they are re painting the hood under warranty. My question is now that they have the car, is this a good idea? I mean it's being painted at my local dealership and the manager of the collision department has handled everything, but I'm still concerned that it could peel off or something and never be the same. They say they guarantee it for the whole time I own the car. Maybe I'm being paranoid? What should I look for in the finished product?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It shouldn't and they will give you warranty on their work.
The only thing is matching color but your car is black so shouldn't be too hard.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I asked a Ford service manager about a small paint bubble and a small paint run hoping the panels came painted already from Ford. He said all of the panels come in needing to be painted and he went on to say his guys would do a worse job than factory and the finish wouldn't be as good. I thanked him for his honesty and live with the imperfections. My hood has chips too. I've read good things about Dr. Colorchip.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I asked a Ford service manager about a small paint bubble and a small paint run hoping the panels came painted already from Ford. He said all of the panels come in needing to be painted and he went on to say his guys would do a worse job than factory and the finish wouldn't be as good. I thanked him for his honesty and live with the imperfections. My hood has chips too. I've read good things about Dr. Colorchip.
You would still live with a bubble that can't be repaired vs some orange peel that can be easily wet sanded out and polished?
If their bodyshop is so bad, why are they still keeping it in business? Obviously he was being lazy and trying to avoid your warranty work.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
You would still live with a bubble that can't be repaired vs some orange peel that can be easily wet sanded out and polished?
If their bodyshop is so bad, why are they still keeping it in business? Obviously he was being lazy and trying to avoid your warranty work.
It could be. I suppose I still have time to reconsider. I also get paranoid about my car being at the dealership and try very hard to not go there for anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
50hhh

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The truth is the paint on these mustangs and even other new fords is not great. The paint on my hood was so thin that I had hundreds of tiny little chips. The dealerships manager agreed it was not covered worth a damn and the local ford rep looked at it and got it approved by ford. The whole thing has been handled great but I would let them know if you see any issues because the more miles you put on the car the harder it gets to get them to cover anything.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So a while back I was going around and around with ford regarding the thin paint on the hood of my GT that has resulted in several chips. Well after getting things worked out with the local ford rep they are re painting the hood under warranty. My question is now that they have the car, is this a good idea? I mean it's being painted at my local dealership and the manager of the collision department has handled everything, but I'm still concerned that it could peel off or something and never be the same. They say they guarantee it for the whole time I own the car. Maybe I'm being paranoid? What should I look for in the finished product?
Depends on the dealership. Here, my family has taken many cars to McCoy Mills Ford's collision repair center (05 GT, 08 Aveo5, 201x SRX, etc) long before I bought my new GT there and they have done an AMAZING job with alignment and paint.

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Metallic V6 Auto
If it was aproved by ford to fix You can take it to Any ford Dealership to have painted, find one you trust. Currently I have to have 3/4 of my car re-sprayed due to orange peel & fish eyes throughtout the car. There body shop walked me aorund, showed me there work, they even pointed out spots on my car i didnt notice.. Am i nervouse as F to have it done, yeah, but It needs to be fixed the right way, why settle on anything imperfection on a new car.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Paint chips are covered under warranty? I noticed a nice 1/8" round chip on my hood the other day, along with a couple other smaller ones on the front bumper cover and passenger mirror cover. I'd love to get it repaired. My car only has 6500 miles on it so far and it has more chips than my 08 Jetta

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Paint on these cars is one of my biggest gripes. Went to a fund raiser car wash at the local school and the coach barely touched my paint with the nozzle and put a big ass scratch in the door. I have tiny chips behind my door where the quarter panel bulges out for the wheel well. Chips in the hood and just about anywhere anything other than a finger touches it.

Sponsored

Ayabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GG GT Premium with PP
At this point I don't see why you can't have a 3M clearbra or something added on as a factory option.

I know some dealers do that work for you but there really is no other option to keeping your car free of chips.

jayrx7trbo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Metallic V6 Auto
took mine to Fords body shop for walk around before they take her to repaint it. The manager said the paint is usually only around 4.8-5.5 on his digital reader thick, thats unfortunately standard which isnt very thick, he walked around to several different vehicles on the lot and they were all that same measurement.. ohh well, what can you do??

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
thank the EPA for water based therefore weaker paint

Ayabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GG GT Premium with PP
thank the EPA for water based therefore weaker paint
:headbang: Hell yeah, lead is good for you kids, don't let the gubmint ministers tell you otherwise!

Surely thin paint has nothing to do at all with costs or MPG, thanks Obama.
Sponsored