Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
After installing my Corsa Sport cat-back I got a little mod bug and decided my K&N drop in filter wasn't going to cut it. So Wednesday I got online and ordered the Steeda cold-air intake (no tune required). Two days later the box was at my door (I live in FL so it was a short delivery time).

Fast forward to this morning and I decide it's time to tackle the install. I used Steeda's own Youtube video plus the included installation instructions.

- First off...that damn rubber trim around the top of the air box...man what a pain in the ass! LOL It took me the better part of an hour to get that thing on. The corners tend to bunch up on the inside and makes it hard to get it seated correctly. But once installed it looks really nice and gives it a smooth factory-like finish.

- The restrictor tube is a snug fit and if you didn't know any better the velocity stack looks completely normal with it installed. I recommend popping your oil fill cap off and using a little motor oil to lube the o-rings. The restrictor slides right in after that.

- The velocity stack and the elbow tube don't quite match up at the same angle when securing them together with the supplied coupler. It was off a few degrees but I made it work.

- PCV hoses...so the first one I took off I ended up busting the retaining u-clip because I couldn't rotate it enough to pop it loose. Looks like I'll be replacing one of those when the Ford parts counter opens up, but for now the hose isn't going anywhere. The large PCV hose took me a few head scratches to realize how it comes off but once I figured it out (slide the gray tab counterclockwise when looking at the end) it popped right off.

- The MAF wire is tight...I mean really tight to get it around the new air box and plugged back in. I wiggled the wire bundle as much as I could but it's still a bit taught. The plug that secures the wire bundle to the air box wasn't quite matched up with the hole so that added even a little more pulling and tugging to secure it.

- I left the sound tube installed because I was getting inpatient and didn't feel like unclipping it and dealing with the supplied firewall plug. Maybe later I'll pull that ugly looking contraption out but for now it stays.

Overall Impressions:

The air box and elbow are molded ABS plastic and look really good..I mean like "came from the Ford factory" good. Also Steeda had the forethought to put a drain hole in the bottom of the box should any water make its way into the hood vent and into the box....nice!

The supplied PCV couplings and velocity stack are all machined billet and are matte polished, so no buffing or polishing needed.

The filter is MASSIVE! This thing could probably hold a King sized cup from Burger King.

The sound! Wow...just, wow! This CAI definitely adds some grunt to the overall sound of the motor coupled with the howl from my Corsa exhaust. The intake temps were lower, I noticed 5 degrees above ambient. No driveability issues noted, throttle response is the same as stock. I'll get to a dyno at some time to run another baseline and see what I picked up.

So ratings....from 1 to 5, 1 being crap to 5 being awesome:

Design, fit and finish: 4.5 (due to the elbow and velocity stack not quite matching up flush)
Sound: 5
Install time: 4 (only because of that damn rubber trim)
Cost: 5 (compared to other CAI systems available I think the look of this one screams "factory supplied part")

Overall I give this a 4.75, as in almost perfect but just a few minor issues that negated a full 5.

I highly recommend this CAI to anyone looking to upgrade their CAI and Steeda has AWESOME customer service.
IMG_2372.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinogt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt
You can get the clips for the pcv hoses at any auto parts store for much cheaper

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
anyway you can take a cabin driving video to capture the intake sound

RomanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
BTW... You need to buy a intake manifold assembly from ford to get a pcv hose clip... The dealer doesn't just sell the clip, don't ask me how I know.

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
anyway you can take a cabin driving video to capture the intake sound
Probably tomorrow but honestly you won't be able to differentiate the intake sound from my exhaust unless I did a before install video.. Which I didn't do

Sponsored

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
BTW... You need to buy a intake manifold assembly from ford to get a pcv hose clip... The dealer doesn't just sell the clip, don't ask me how I know.
Lol damn. It's not going anywhere so I'll just see what happens to it. Maybe just zip tie it on.

Rhinogt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt
Did you break the whole connector or just the clip that you squeeze to take the hose off?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Nice! Great write up, thanks.

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT
Nice review. Ordered mine the other day after seeing one in person at our monthly meet. I think it is very well made and more flexible than other intakes because of the insert. Can't wait to install mine.

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Nice review. Ordered mine the other day after seeing one in person at our monthly meet. I think it is very well made and more flexible than other intakes because of the insert. Can't wait to install mine.
I agree a good write-up, I really like the velocity stack concept of this CAI.
Please share what you think after installing yours, I was wondering if re-locating the connection hole or adding a standoff to the air box for attaching the harness wiring would take some of the stress off that harness?:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I agree a good write-up, I really like the velocity stack concept of this CAI.
Please share what you think after installing yours, I was wondering if re-locating the connection hole or adding a standoff to the air box for attaching the harness wiring would take some of the stress off that harness?:thumbsup:
I didn't really see any other option. The wire bundle runs along the fender and comes out in front of the stock airbox. With the Steeda airbox in place the wires have even further to run as the proportions of the box are bigger. There really didn't seem to be any way around it.

RomanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Just zip Tie it... Mine fell off somehow. Looked for it for an hour couldn't find it. Went to the dealer and said they don't have them. Was tempted to open the hood of a stang on the lot and take one :) but decided against it. Went back home looked again with a flash light and found it just sitting on the serpentine belt. One in a million chance lol
Sponsored