Sponsored

2017 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 VS. 2017 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R: THE FOREVER WAR

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Apparently it seems difficult to understand that numbers being used are same day same driver Head to Head. Let's stay focused here let's not start talking in circles
Well I'm not talking in circles. And you can't have it both ways. A standing record means something if it can't be beaten regardless of what day it was on. And it is still a fact that the ZL1 has posted a faster time than the Shelby.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Well I'm not talking in circles. And you can't have it both ways. A standing record means something if it can't be beaten regardless of what day it was on. And it is still a fact that the ZL1 has posted a faster time than the Shelby.
It can be both ways. First I never argued that the other data being used is not legitimate. I will tell you that I can run a lap time one day and a lap time and other day with completely different conditions and times can vary by more than five seconds. So you can have it both ways. However to have the most accurate data you have to drive the vehicle on the same day in the same conditions by the same driver no if ands or buts. It's honestly very very simple.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It can be both ways. First I never argued that the other data being used is not legitimate. I will tell you that I can run a lap time one day and a lap time and other day with completely different conditions and times can vary by more than five seconds. So you can have it both ways. However to have the most accurate data you have to drive the vehicle on the same day in the same conditions by the same driver no if ands or buts. It's honestly very very simple.
Let me explain it like this. If you go to the track and run a 12.0 on Monday, and then I go on Tuesday and run a 12.5...and then we both go on Wednesday and you run a 12.4 to my 12.3, all that means is you didn't run your best and I ran slightly better. But end of the day, who technically has the faster car? It would be you. Any real racer would never be satisfied with a faster time on the same day if it only means you didn't run your best. Because you could still say that you have the fastest time. So yea on this particular day the Shelby did better and the ZL1 didn't do it's best. But the Shelby still has not broken the ZL1's fastest time and that stands. Plus MT did make mention of the previous times that other cars have done. SO the record stands.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Nope.

From the article: "In terms of our figure-eight test, you might think that the more powerful car with better braking ability and an equal amount of grip would be the quicker car. You’d be mistaken. The Shelby actually pipped the ZL1—23.1 versus 23.2."
The ZL1 did the figure eight in 23.1 also. I do think that was in the original Ignition episode though. But hey, were splitting hairs at this point. At the very least, they're tied in that metric. And they were using the same car. That's just like 0-60. If a car is quoted as doing it in 3.5 seconds, that doesn't mean you'll get it every time. That's just that car's capability, right?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would actually like to see the link where the Shelby did the 23.1 and the ZL1 did the 23.2. Because MT sure didn't update their records to reflect the new time.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Let's not forget it's still with a loaded R and bald tires. So we can split hairs in that direction as well. Wondering why they didn't use the base which would have been the best of the best at the time.
I think the zl1 l1e will start getting back to a bit of rawness the media is looking for...
We only need to wait a year to see the head to head with the gt500 :(

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
But there are FPC motors with well beyond 8-9lbs of boost. The 488 GTB peaks between 35-36psi... not to mention the P1 and others like the 720S, 650S, etc. etc. so you can certainly have very high boost applications with FPCs.
Sorry Justin, I should have been more clear. I am referring to the Voodoo FPC. Ford engineers were busting cranks on boost levels over 9lbs.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would actually like to see the link where the Shelby did the 23.1 and the ZL1 did the 23.2. Because MT sure didn't update their records to reflect the new time.
Page 54 in the print magazine for the data panel of the Head to Head test. Both cars averaged 0.89g. The A10 ZL1 tested at 23.1 seconds.

For all but the silliest level of splitting hairs, its a tie.

Norm

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Hey guys remember the first time you actually saw the new GT350 and you were blown away how much better it looked in person than the videos and photos? Well I just saw my first ZL1 in person and I gotta say my reaction was just the opposite. I cant say it was vomit inducing ugly but rather just...goofy looking.GM did so well in the performance end its just sad they couldn't match it in the looks department!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
A pic or it didnt happen lolololo
FB_IMG_1498518899184.jpg

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have no idea what they're talking about when they say "feel". The only feel that makes sens to me or that I enjoy is the feel of the car accelerating.
It's far more subtle than the shove in the back you get when you mat the throttle. But I'm not at all sure how to describe this . . . response ramp rates being just a tad slower is about as good as I can come up with, which would lend a vague feeling of 'heaviness" to the response (I'm not talking about the steering wheel weighting that is artificially heavy in Track mode at all here).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey guys remember the first time you actually saw the new GT350 and you were blown away how much better it looked in person than the videos and photos? Well I just saw my first ZL1 in person and I gotta say my reaction was just the opposite. I cant say it was vomit inducing ugly but rather just...goofy looking.GM did so well in the performance end its just sad they couldn't match it in the looks department!
The people who buy one for the job it is intended to be extremely good at probably won't care if its looks are not universally liked. I know I wouldn't.

Norm

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The butt-hurt is strong! LoL
I think I figured what the GT350R looks like from the front. A big fat catfish. Take a look. I think you will agree.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The people who buy one for the job it is intended to be extremely good at probably won't care if its looks are not universally liked. I know I wouldn't.

Norm
Agree, if it's used as a tool only. I know I don't care what my tools look like. Unfortunately I consider my car more than a tool, i choose for looks first, as I drive on the street and then next comes performance. Fortunately performance can be improved, looks...maybe a tad.