Sponsored

2017 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 VS. 2017 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R: THE FOREVER WAR

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I hope to attend the next powertrain reveal as well so hopefully I'll have more to offer soon enough...
Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I hope to attend the next powertrain reveal as well so hopefully I'll have more to offer soon enough...
I hope so too. I find these types of rare "behind the curtain" types of things to be simply fascinating, much like "A Faster Horse". At the dealership level, there really isn't anything "cool" or "insider" as people would think.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
My thoughts, coming from an R owner and a prior GT500 and Boss 302 owner...

You can't put a price on refinement. The R is a fine wine that tastes as though it has been corked for 50 years and packaged in a modern day glass wine bottle. Years of technology went into the engine, along with a fine concoction of modern day techno. The car is blended well and has the fun, feel and masturbastic level of entertainment that no other American car has been able to muster... ever.

The ZL1 is a lion compared to a cheetah (the R). Where the ZL1 has the power to knock off a quick hot lap, as it should, it does so with bruteness and the ergonomics of a Kia. Even MT said it was more luxurious than the R, and that's just it... who gives a hot damn about luxury on the track? I could care less...

Where the R is a finely blended wine the ZL1 is bottle of Thunderbird. Wanna see how thie ZL1 is the "sum of its parts"?... look at it on a lift from the underside. Look at how Chevy forced a shared platform to endure track duty. You don't see that on the R. Yes, superchargers are fun but for how long?... and anyone, including Lethal Performance (not knocking them) can slap a SC on something.

In summary, the R is bespoke automotive engineering art... the ZL1, the bully out of class with the R, surely and rightfully so given a liter more displacement coupled with another 2+ liters lopped on top of the engine. The R is the better driver's car, the ZL1 the better with speed. That being said, for the R to stay within 75 feet of the ZL1 says a lot about the R and the potential of the GT500, of it is based upon the R platform.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You had me at "masturbastic"...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I got such inspiration from your word learning that I wanted to contribute.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Growing quite the vocabulary around here.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I lol'd.

2011gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt350
That is hilarious! I too read the article and had to research the same words. Entertaining vocabulary for a car test and way over the top in my opinion. Both impressive cars...the R is something very unique. Perhaps the Muhammad Ali of mustangs..with out having to brag...pretty...fast ...and very hard to beat.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
My thoughts, coming from an R owner and a prior GT500 and Boss 302 owner...

You can't put a price on refinement. The R is a fine wine that tastes as though it has been corked for 50 years and packaged in a modern day glass wine bottle. Years of technology went into the engine, along with a fine concoction of modern day techno. The car is blended well and has the fun, feel and masturbastic level of entertainment that no other American car has been able to muster... ever.

The ZL1 is a lion compared to a cheetah (the R). Where the ZL1 has the power to knock off a quick hot lap, as it should, it does so with bruteness and the ergonomics of a Kia. Even MT said it was more luxurious than the R, and that's just it... who gives a hot damn about luxury on the track? I could care less...

Where the R is a finely blended wine the ZL1 is bottle of Thunderbird. Wanna see how thie ZL1 is the "sum of its parts"?... look at it on a lift from the underside. Look at how Chevy forced a shared platform to endure track duty. You don't see that on the R. Yes, superchargers are fun but for how long?... and anyone, including Lethal Performance (not knocking them) can slap a SC on something.

In summary, the R is bespoke automotive engineering art... the ZL1, the bully out of class with the R, surely and rightfully so given a liter more displacement coupled with another 2+ liters lopped on top of the engine. The R is the better driver's car, the ZL1 the better with speed. That being said, for the R to stay within 75 feet of the ZL1 says a lot about the R and the potential of the GT500, of it is based upon the R platform.
and seeing out is like the tortoise(ZL1) vs the hare(GT350)

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
That was one of the most bogus comparisons I've ever watched. They clearly had picked the 350R before any testing was done. What they probably didn't realize was that the ZL1 would beat it in every performance metric. That same white ZL1 was 2 seconds faster than the 350R in the Ignition episode (faster than a Mclaren 570s). What exactly is the 350R better at on track? Yet it wins because of its "unrefinement" essentially. Get outta here! I know we all live for our home teams to win, but give credit where it's due. The ZL1 is simply the better car performance wise, and the 1LE package will only widen that gap. Oh, and it costs less and can actually be purchased without the mandatory pre lube.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm not convinced of that. I think Ford will take a step in an unexpected direction, one that may not make every "traditional" Mustang performance buyer happy. I say that in the context of the assumption that it will be a supercharged V8 powerplant. I honestly don't care what powerplant they use as long as it is of robust design and puts out the power.
I agree. Ford had a major surprise with the GT350, and the reason I think the new GT500 is taking so long is because it's going to be epic.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The ZL1 is simply the better car performance wise, and the 1LE package will only widen that gap. Oh, and it costs less and can actually be purchased without the mandatory pre lube.
I think we can all agree with this part of your quote, but still honestly prefer the characteristics of the GT350/GT350R over the ZL1. Judging the "best" car is still, almost entirely, subjective.

That also means that someone else could prefer the ZL1 and also be correct in their opinion.

-T

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, and it costs less and can actually be purchased without the mandatory pre lube.

So Chevy cracked the code on preventing Dealers from adding ADMs?

Or are you referring to the Z28 that sat around on lots with ADMs for so long that dealers have to have fire-sales?

Or is there just no demand for the ZL1 that dealers cant get ADMs?
Sponsored