scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Much of this must be down to the angle of the photo, but even so :shocked:
Agreed:

Part of it is the angle of the shot.
Part of it is the focal length of the camera lens.
And a big part of it is that the S550 is just much sleeker and sexier.

:)

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Have we figured out which models or packages get the tri bar pony on the rear yet?

Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
200 pound weight loss is a real possibility if its even half the difference in size displayed in that pic...

Nate408

Threads
Reaction score
200 pound weight loss is a real possibility if its even half the difference in size displayed in that pic...
Well unfortunately on paper we know the raw dimensions are essentially the same. Doesn't mean they didn't use better / less materials and a fancier frame design to lower the density though ;)

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
I've got a similar picture of a Fox body Mustang next to an SN95, and the Fox looks so much smaller because of the xtra-lower trunk (hatch) line. But in reality it's not much smaller at all.
Now turn the S550 upside down and find the same dimples in the same front frame rails, the same jacking points, the same hard points, the same wheelbase, the same front hangover, the same mounting points for the seat belts on the same width B-pillar, and much more.
There are all kinds of improvements large and small, all very appreciated, but clearly the CAD drawings of the S197 were the starting point.
The styling is a huge step forward and the lower trunk line is much appreciated - thanks to the styling (and the suspension), the rear isn't up in the air any more. And thanks to the side windows - the tall sill and the longer glass, the car looks long and sleek but is in reality the all but the same dimensions.
This is the stylists job. It's worked, and it's worked in the same way in the variations of the 1st generation cars too. As well as with the 1st and 2nd Capris (I had one of each).

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I've always said the S197 has a big butt.
But I like big butts and I cannot lie.....:)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a similar picture of a Fox body Mustang next to an SN95, and the Fox looks so much smaller because of the xtra-lower trunk (hatch) line. But in reality it's not much smaller at all.
Now turn the S550 upside down and find the same dimples in the same front frame rails, the same jacking points, the same hard points, the same wheelbase, the same front hangover, the same mounting points for the seat belts on the same width B-pillar, and much more.
There are all kinds of improvements large and small, all very appreciated, but clearly the CAD drawings of the S197 were the starting point.
The styling is a huge step forward and the lower trunk line is much appreciated - thanks to the styling (and the suspension), the rear isn't up in the air any more. And thanks to the side windows - the tall sill and the longer glass, the car looks long and sleek but is in reality the all but the same dimensions.
This is the stylists job. It's worked, and it's worked in the same way in the variations of the 1st generation cars too. As well as with the 1st and 2nd Capris (I had one of each).
Exactly. I couldn't agree more with you.

The designers have to work around a set of hardpoints and dimensions dictated by a whole crew of departments, with the engineering team being just one of them. Wheelbase and track width are just some starting points.

They did a great job of reducing the overall visual heft of the S550 by breaking up the surfaces with heavy contours, a unified DLO (windows), and a lowered, fast roofline. The black ground effects along the rockers also allow them to create the illusion of a tucked in waist line, among other tricks.

It's all very modern and trendy.

Sponsored

navair133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang Eco/PP; 2003 Porsche Boxster
My understanding is that base V6 gets the tri bar/pony badge; 2.3L eco-boost gets pony badge; GT of course gets GT badge.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)

Except there are actual differences. The S500 sits lower and wider in actuality. So it is not just an illusion. Though I agree the styling is designed to make it look even lower and smaller.

We should use this thread to post S500 next to S197 and other mustangs, if anyone knows of any floating around or comes across any post here.

Voodoo1796

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS Scion
I know much of it is camera positioning... but damn the 550 just looks tiny next to the 197. I can dig it.

dipgrizzly

Threads
Reaction score
I noticed Mustangs are pretty small cars, one day when I parked my 2006 S197 beside my wife's old 2002 Toyota Celica aka the Go-Cart. The wheelbase of my Mustang was only about 5" longer. I never really noticed much difference until I parked them side by side.
Sponsored