Sponsored

GT350 Wheel Hop

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base (arriving Dec 2015)
Hi All,
I recently took my gt350 out to a street legal drags and noticed I had some very violent wheel hop in the burnout box and at the starting line. My car is 100% stock.

Obviously wheel hop is not good for the suspension components and I am wondering what works best to control it on a gt350?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
Lol, another one. Just an FYI the gt350 wasn't engineered for the drag strip, but for a road course. Therefore it might not behave the way you'd like during hard launches. But like I've said before, on the track (road course), or carving up back roads, I have not ONCE experienced wheel hop. You should try it

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, another one. Just an FYI the gt350 wasn't engineered for the drag strip, but for a road course. Therefore it might not behave the way you'd like during hard launches. But like I've said before, on the track (road course), or carving up back roads, I have not ONCE experienced wheel hop. You should try it
Hold on now...
The OP has a base GT350 which doesn't have magride or the trans/differential coolers. Ford states that if you want to use this car for the track you need the coolers.

So his GT350 is nearly a Mustang GT with PP and different engine and transmission.

If it wasn't built for the drag strip and it wasn't built for the track; then what was it built for?

Last edited:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,
I recently took my gt350 out to a street legal drags and noticed I had some very violent wheel hop in the burnout box and at the starting line. My car in 100% stock.

Obviously wheel hop is not good for the suspension components and I am wondering what works best to control it on a gt350?
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1543

^^Here's a link to a rear cradle bushing lockout kit that claims to decrease wheel hop. I haven't installed it, so I have no idea how well it works.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I would hold off on the judgment personally. Perhaps the OP is like myself and does not have access to a road course? I have to take an 8 hour ferry ride along with a 1600-1800 km drive to go my nearest road courses; meanwhile the local 1/8th mile is half an hour away.

I don't think anyone can deny it was designed as a road course car, but any condescending towards those who do take theirs to the strip is in unwarranted IMO. The car comes with a "drag strip" after all, and there is also no such thing as a car that can't be taken to the drag strip cause it wasn't specifically designed to do so, which is just a silly basis to begin with.

OP, I noticed fairly aggressive wheel hop as well when utilizing the stock launch control programming. I was told that the LC is more of a gimmick than a real tool for getting fast launches. I believe simply slipping the clutch a little to get the tires grabbing but slightly spinning off the line will result in your best 60's with all traction control turned off. And regardless of what anyone says, at the end of the day at least you are out in your car competing and trying to improve your own skills. Don't need a specific drag purpose car to improve upon your 60', reaction time and shifting ability :)

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Although I agree it is a road course car and that's what its purpose was engineered for, but it's a car, and this is the USA and it is a mustang. People drag race Vipers, Porsche's, Vetts, etc.
I have not drag raced my car but I did notice wheel hope while power shifting into 2nd gear a few times on the road. My choice of eliminating all the factory rubber IRS cradle, differential and suspension bushings were to not only give the car an even more solid feel but also eliminate any wheel hop when I do drive it any way I see fit. Not only will eliminating the rubber bushings stop wheel hop, it also keeps the alignment locked in which will improve handling. Here's a link of what I'm doing to my GT350 now.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63785&highlight=Axles

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Point taken Voodooo. Hard to ignore 526hp in any form I guess. Impressive and ambitious build you have there!

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Legit question that's never been answered.
Exactly, I want Ford to answer what it was built for.

And members cant have it both ways.

When someone complains about a '16 Base/Tech car at the track...members cant say "if you wanted to track it you should had gotten the track package"

Then when someone complains about it at a drag strip...members cant say "its a track car"

Right now, its an incomplete car that owners will either have to sell or fix

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Exactly, I want Ford to answer what it was built for.

And members cant have it both ways.

When someone complains about a '16 Base/Tech car at the track...members cant say "if you wanted to track it you should had gotten the track package"

Then when someone complains about it at a drag strip...members cant say "its a track car"

Right now, its an incomplete car that owners will either have to sell or fix
Exactly!

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Hold on now...
The OP has a base GT350 which doesn't have magride or the trans/differential coolers. Ford states that if you want to use this car for the track you need the coolers.

So his GT350 is nearly a Mustang GT with PP and different engine and transmission.

If it wasn't built for the drag strip and it wasn't built for the track; then what was it built for?
First laugh of the day courtesy of Lemers. :D

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Point taken Voodooo. Hard to ignore 526hp in any form I guess. Impressive and ambitious build you have there!
Thank you!
You and I both have track pack cars, the OP has a base car. And as Lemers has already said, base and tech cars can't even track their cars without heating issues.
Sponsored