Sponsored

Mud Flaps - anybody use them ?

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I have the ZL1 premium installed on my car as well, and unfortunately BOTH sides have had the adhesive tape fail. The interesting part is that the adhesive tape stays attached to my vehicle (not awesome) but comes off of the ZL1Addons mud flap. This would mean that the plastics aren't being cleaned and surfaced properly, the adhesive is not correctly installed, or something else is happening on the @ZL1Addons side of production because the failure is very clearly happening on the adhesive where they have installed it during production.

Disappointing, to say the least.
Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Yes thats why j really squished them on there and sun bathed them to heat up the plastic a little to bend easier.

My concerns is more that the panel pins pop out bc man theyre barely holding on and i had to legit rubber mallet them in there.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I have the ZL1 premium installed on my car as well, and unfortunately BOTH sides have had the adhesive tape fail. The interesting part is that the adhesive tape stays attached to my vehicle (not awesome) but comes off of the ZL1Addons mud flap. This would mean that the plastics aren't being cleaned and surfaced properly, the adhesive is not correctly installed, or something else is happening on the @ZL1Addons side of production because the failure is very clearly happening on the adhesive where they have installed it during production.

Disappointing, to say the least.
I think they probably didn't do enough testing with the thicker plastic they used and the extra force it creates trying to stay unbent is enough to overcome the 3M adhesive. Since it is a textured surface vs. the mustang wheel well's smooth surface it fails on the textured side first. They need to use some sort of plastic that they can form a bit and give the flaps a bit of a bend to take the constant stress of the adhesive and I bet that would significantly improve the premium's failure rate.

Has anyone had the ZL1 Premium FRONT rock guards stay completely installed for more than 2 weeks? I haven't heard anyone says so and have seen a few posts about the failure. That combined with my thoughts on the deisgn as a whole make me want to bet they have almost a 100% failure rate on the premium version.

For the record mine are still attached to my car but only thanks to the plastic pins which seem to be holding it just fine. Not sure why someone hasnt made a rock guard that just uses the pins or maybe supplies slighly longer pins.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I went with the deluxe because it was thicker and looked more oem. Its a shame, im hoping mine dont peel now im stuck trying to get the 3m off the fender well.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I think they probably didn't do enough testing with the thicker plastic they used and the extra force it creates trying to stay unbent is enough to overcome the 3M adhesive. Since it is a textured surface vs. the mustang wheel well's smooth surface it fails on the textured side first. They need to use some sort of plastic that they can form a bit and give the flaps a bit of a bend to take the constant stress of the adhesive and I bet that would significantly improve the premium's failure rate.

Has anyone had the ZL1 Premium FRONT rock guards stay completely installed for more than 2 weeks? I haven't heard anyone says so and have seen a few posts about the failure. That combined with my thoughts on the deisgn as a whole make me want to bet they have almost a 100% failure rate on the premium version.

For the record mine are still attached to my car but only thanks to the plastic pins which seem to be holding it just fine. Not sure why someone hasnt made a rock guard that just uses the pins or maybe supplies slighly longer pins.

[MENTION=28999]yomamma219[/MENTION] Mine have brother. Mine have been on for well over a month now and zero issue. When I did mine I Cleaned the fender lip with %90 alcohol, and then scuffed in a bit to help with adhesion. Then cleaned it again really well with alcohol. Haven't had an issue with my premiums. And thats even power washing it.

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
[MENTION=28999]yomamma219[/MENTION] Mine have brother. Mine have been on for well over a month now and zero issue. When I did mine I Cleaned the fender lip with %90 alcohol, and then scuffed in a bit to help with adhesion. Then cleaned it again really well with alcohol. Haven't had an issue with my premiums. And thats even power washing it.

I have my car cquartzed and wiped with 90% alcohol. It sticks to the fender but i think the concern and observations are that it is not sticking to the guard itself

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have my car cquartzed and wiped with 90% alcohol. It sticks to the fender but i think the concern and observations are that it is not sticking to the guard itself

[MENTION=16308]Souldriver[/MENTION] you are right. [MENTION=26348]Spykexx[/MENTION] unfortunately mine have failed on the flap side of the tape not the car side.They are still stuck via the clips and don't seem to be a huge issue its just a (tiny) bit of an eyesore mostly for me.

I just haven't gotten around to calling ZL1 to see what they say. I saw another post where someone said they offered to send them screws which is not what I want as I ordered theses specifically because they didn't require body work. :shrug:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'd actually have no issue using appropriately looking flat head, black screws into the metal lip ... paint the holes after pre-drilling so they don't rust and I bet you'd hardly notice them.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
You guys are almost talking me into returning my deluxes...I dunno :shrug:

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=29061]5.0_SD[/MENTION] I haven't tried contacting ZL1 yet and don't mean to talk bad about them before I find out what kind of support they offer but I would hold off on installing the front ones because if they are exactly the same as the deluxe ones I have then I firmly believe it is a design flaw that is causing the issue.

You may want to try and "prebend" the front ones to match the wheel well curver so that there is stress from it trying to "straighten out" being constantly applied to the 3M tape. I believe the thicker plastic just causes more stress than the adhesive can hold with that textured plastic.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
My originals are excellent. But for those with the deluxe, use a heat gun to bend the guard before installing. :thumbsup:

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Heat gun was exactly what I was thinking since my dumbass went with what I thought were better...should've gone for the cheaper version...oh well, we'll see what happens.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=22246]Fordever[/MENTION], do you know if it is the type of plastic that can be properly bent with a heat gun? I felt like it could from what I remember just based on how it felt but I am not a expert on plastics and this was a concern I had.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Less than a week and it looks like mine is separating just like everyone else's. Really Pissed.

As In really fucking pissed especially because I payed for the better ones and went out of my way to heat them up and bend the flap and had weight on them for 24 hours to make sure the 3m tape shouldn't of separated.

Its going to be a huge pain in the ass to get that tape off the fender well now too.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
[MENTION=22246]Fordever[/MENTION], do you know if it is the type of plastic that can be properly bent with a heat gun? I felt like it could from what I remember just based on how it felt but I am not a expert on plastics and this was a concern I had.
I am not an expert in bending mud flaps, but I have bent lotsa different plastics with heat. The key is patience. Don't be in a hurry. Just enough heat to make it flexible but not to melt. ;)
Sponsored