Sponsored

Test drove a GT today. Newb impressions.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I picked up a $50 gift card at the car show if I test drove a Ford before the end of the month....so why not!

The wife and I went out in a fully loaded GT and we both liked it.
Very linear power from the engine, revved freely and I did hit the rev limiter in first if I didn't watch the tach.

Manual tranny (of course) was fine. I don't know why all the complaints...I never missed a gear, full throttle shifting was fine, rev matching effortless and just a few minor detectable driveline thuds moving slowly at a light.
Throws were short, smooth and not a problem. If the updated tranny improves this current tranny, great!

Performance pack ride was fine. Didn't hit any real bad roads but it was really nice and quiet at cruise on the highway. Wife even said it was comfy.

Recaro seats. Not for me! I'm a bit older and (ahem) more "muscular" ;) than most and I was crunched and couldn't move. Base seats in another car at the lot was much more comfortable for me.

Complaints? (If you can call them complaints)
Exhaust was too quiet. Great for highway cruising but when I got on it, I wanted more.
Engine note was fine. More intake roar when full throttle maybe. (Sort of like flipping the air cleaner in old school 4 barrel V-8s!)

I think my original plans on waiting and purchasing the '18 refresh will take care of some of my concerns.
Active exhaust for more noise when wanted, quiet for cruising on long trips. Absolutely hate any droning at any speed!

Magneride suspension, same thing. Smoother ride for trips, firm it up for playing in twisties.

Old school dash was fine, will have to decide on new dash.

I liked the overall impression the car gave. Yes, more smooth, refined sports car than neck breaking bar brawler muscle car but I liked that.
Wifey liked it too!

So, dealer will contact me when any info is available and I will order a new 2018 GT as soon as possible.
Can't wait for some order sheets to start configuring my new Mustang! :ford:
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I'm anxious to hear and see the new active exhaust the '18 is coming with. I bought the quietist aftermarket I could find, and sometimes on long trips I wish it was a bit quieter.
I'm just wondering if an '18 will fir on a '15?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I test drove Recaros and felt the same, fortunately MAS had no problems letting me change my order. The stock seats are amazingly good in this car.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
+1 on Recaro's as well. Sometimes my commute can be 2hours one way... No thanks.

The MT82 I'm also loving. I get the "thud" at now speeds but who cares? Just suspension I'm not happy with but tons of options out there.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Yeah, the shifter. It feels nice and tight at first. But once you get a few thousand miles on it the thing loosens up and you're in the market for a fix. Or a new engine when you get 2nd on a 5-4 downshift. You might be Juan Fangio, but sooner or later it'll get you, the design is fundamentally flawed. And the driveline thuds will go from hardly noticeable at first to fully in your face with every clutch in/clutch out once you get some miles on.

As for the noise, they put this fake sound tube thing on them to duct sound into the cabin. It's probably one of the most frequently gotten rid of things. Sounds way better without that nonsense.

Despite those things, all of which are fixable, I love my car. Especially the Recaros. Pulling over a G in corners without a 6 point harness is effortless with those seats. To each his own.

Sponsored

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Honestly if my first drive was my new 2017 non-PP i wouldn't see what all the fuss was about either.

Unfortunately my 2011 was one of the first off the line and the mt-82 has pretty ruined any fair unbiased judgment that a getrag tranny would have even been in for.

My 2017 is miles better

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I like the quiet exhaust. I understand why people make it louder but I like pushing the car hard and nobody hears me. I heard a guy with a louder exhaust the other day get on it and you could hear exactly where he was going and all the streets he turned on. He'd be getting a ticket while I'm sneaking away. Not only that but everything I own is loud. Harley and Stratocasters. My ears ring with tinnitus everyday.

I hated the way Recaros felt. I'm not paying extra to be cool and uncomfortable. I realize everybody has a different body type but they just don't work for me. The stock leather seats are way more comfy IMO.

And yeah my wife loves the car. We feel it's like a nice comfy riding luxury car with a big ass Motor.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I'm 6'2" and 250 and about as broad shouldered as you can get for a man this size and I'll just let you know the recaros do break in. They still hug you so if that isn't your thing don't bother , but I love mine.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Hehehe...I sat in a GT with Recaros at Mustang Week. It was the Barton shifter's car. I thought I was going to have to call the MBFD to extract me with the Jaws of Life!
I'm just too damned wide and too damned old to be climbing in and out of a bucket like that.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm anxious to hear and see the new active exhaust the '18 is coming with. I bought the quietist aftermarket I could find, and sometimes on long trips I wish it was a bit quieter.
I'm just wondering if an '18 will fir on a '15?
That just means you purchased the wrong exhaust. My Corsa sport catback is amazingly quiet on the highway or anytime your not mashing the happy pedal.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Corsa Sport was the best stock replacement I've done.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That just means you purchased the wrong exhaust. My Corsa sport catback is amazingly quiet on the highway or anytime your not mashing the happy pedal.
Agreed with this, [MENTION=12819]ScottsGT[/MENTION]. The Sport is stock quiet on the highway (actually with the sound tube out it's quieter than stock at cruise), but rips when you put your foot down.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Y'all could be very right. But I was hoping to find low cost take-offs from an '18 like they are for the '15-'17's.
At this point telling the wife that I bought the wrong $1000 exhaust would be like bringing home a girlfriend to meet her.
When I was shopping them, I liked the exhaust note from the MF Street the best, from online videos. It's really hard to pick an exhaust based on internet audio/video.
And that little thing about dropping $1500 on an exhaust... Life was tough enough getting the money for the MF. No way I could have increased the budget another $500.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Y'all could be very right. But I was hoping to find low cost take-offs from an '18 like they are for the '15-'17's.
At this point telling the wife that I bought the wrong $1000 exhaust would be like bringing home a girlfriend to meet her.
When I was shopping them, I liked the exhaust note from the MF Street the best, from online videos. It's really hard to pick an exhaust based on internet audio/video.
And that little thing about dropping $1500 on an exhaust... Life was tough enough getting the money for the MF. No way I could have increased the budget another $500.
What about just ~$100 more, brand new? ;)

I get it completely (the wife and mods). She'd probably be a lot happier riding in it, though.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Honestly, from every clip I have heard....the Corsa still sounds far better than even the MY18 active exhaust.

Keep in mind, S550 exhausts seem to hold their value quite well. You may take a $300 hit on yours, but I think you'd be surprised by how much a Corsa costs from Beefcake.
Sponsored