HiPo Mustang (S550) Prototype Spied -With Different Exhaust Setup and Sound

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Be realistic. They already testing 3.5 EcoBoost in trucks and suvs for few years.
I pay attention to Mustang stuff, not trucks and SUV's, so I didn't know that. But notice I preferenced my comment with "Stupid thought".

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The heck is going on with the (missing) rocker panel in this prototype :confused:

So many questions.....:tsk:
What's the concern with a missing minor exterior piece on a test vehicle? This is fairly typical.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Not concerned.... more like curious and wish we had more answers than questions. ;)
If you viewed some of the other prototype photos, I think you've see missing exterior trim pieces, yes?

And yes, there is much to be curious about regarding this car's sound and what's in the engine bay!

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Not if it were to be a special edition, as Mitchell is suggesting in this thread. A hipo Mustang SE can step on the GT's shoes all it wants.

Plus, a 3.5L would help with the whole problem of "it costs too much to produce another one-off engine for the Mustang" since its development for the most part has been funded by the F150. I'm sure modifications would have to be made (of which I'm not sure how much) but I would think a lot of the R&D would be paid for already.
Yes it has and there is this:

Hmm some corrections,

S550 program was not always 2.3 and 5.0 and nothing else.

You are correct it started with 2 engines and no V6. Many displacements were explored. It was for some time 2.7 but that changed a few years ago and settled on 2.3 for fuel economy and performance reasons. After 3 engines was decided, 3.7 was added, then replaced with 3.5.

S550 had the 3.5 until mid 2012 when finally determined the 3.7 was the best way due to cost and other factors. I'll just say, 3.5 is still being explored.
Even with better audio quality we would not know for sure but I have a feeling these are related. Time will time.

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
Stupid thought, but what if this was the return of an inline 6?
The only way this would even be remotely possible would be if Ford wanted to salvage a few jobs in OZ and keep the Barra engine plant functional. The 4.0 was cranking out 416/417. But that's output in direct competition with the current Coyote, though maybe not the next version. Anyway, not going to happen:

- Unnecessary cost of maintaining another plant, shipping costs and associated logistics, the I6's output is redundant with what is already available in the Ford engine stable.

- Ford Aus has already confirmed that the Barra 4.0 will die with the Falcon.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Cool, thanks for the information! The unusual sound coupled with Mustang heritage and Pericak's mention of having some surprises in store kind of made me think of that.

flyers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang GT
Sounds normally aspirated. FPCs fire like a staggered doubled inline four cylinder, so the comparison to fours that some are making is valid. I don't hear V6 lumpiness in it, and from the revs versus launch acceleration, it would seem to imply a peaky motor. Most of what I observe points to a FPC V8. The exhaust tune is fair, so I'm guessing that the production tune will approach a Ferrari bark when it's complete.

I'm with you--after watching the video and before reading and of the comments, these were my thoughts exactly.

Sponsored

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
Being the absolute novice I am, not sure of the effect the different types of mufflers on a car would have? That is to say how much it could change the note of a V8 for instance.

With that said the car in question obviously does NOT sound anything like that shelby. Which in turn would mean it would have to be a different motor in there?

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Another Joe (can't think of his forum username at the moment) did mention that he'd heard that there would be TWO SVT model's coming. Both the GT350 and GT500. I'm not sure how accurate that is, and it could be completely different names for one or both, but interesting nonetheless.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Cool, thanks for the information! The unusual sound coupled with Mustang heritage and Pericak's mention of having some surprises in store kind of made me think of that.
Kudos for the unique thought. :) A straight six would be fun to have in a Mustang.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
The tire sizes look almost like a drag set up...huge wide tires in the rear and skinny up front. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but that rear tire is almost flush with the quarter panel.
Sponsored